rusty-n-crusty (DONE!!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some pictures from last year's Rat Fink Reunion. I went to the steak dinner at the house after the car show and I got to see the museum.
Cool diesel powered Tote Gote.

There were some big $$$ rat rods there. I'm not a Ford fan, but I love the flat heads.

The S.S. Bonneville.

Available for 3 hour tours.

Some cool Volkswagen truck conversions.

Artwork.

There were 8 - 10 Rat Fink bikes in the museum.

A couple of his cars were on display.

I like the artwork on the appliances.

And his workshop.

I was surprised to see how humble his tool box was.

Now, back ta buildin'.

Last edited:
Okay, enough photos of other people's work, I finally have some progress pictures. I've been working on the layout for my graphics. It seemed like it was going to be easy, and I really struggled with it. I wasn't looking forward to masking, but it turned out much easier and better than I imagined. Here is a picture of some of the masking I did last night.

Like I mentioned in my first post, I was planning on doing this build for last year's build off. The kitchen remodel got in the way, so I put the project off until this year. I bought some official Ratrodbikes.com stickers to use last year. Well, shortly after I purchased them, they came out with the new design. Even though my stickers are outdated, I'm still going to use them.

I got up early this morning and I started working on my patina. I think that I'm pretty happy with the results so far. We'll see if I'm still happy later today.

I went into town this afternoon to do some shopping and have a lunch date with my wife. I spent too much time thinking about my bike and how it was going to turn out. Anyways, I got home and everything was nice and dry.

Everything was dry, so I removed all of the masking tape and stickers. Then put a whole bunch of coats of clear over everything.

I really liked the way that it turned out. I was planning to do some pin striping on it, but now I'm not sure about the colors that I have selected. What colors do I use now?

Nice technique! What did you use for the rusty patina?

I think that's the coolest paint job of the build off! Looks great...may have to steal that idea!

Wow that's one of the coolest big blocks Ive EVER seen!:eek: and Ive been to a LOT of hot rod shows too... That offset triple deuce manifold is awesome! and is that round casting AC? I cant figure out for the life of me what that is?! The black cylinder at the rear kind of looks like a vintage alternator/generator too... Oh and get back to building! only a few weeks left:grin:

It is too dry at my house to just leave it outside and let nature do all of the work. I did an internet search and found an easy way to rust metal quickly with just a couple household chemicals.

Here's an action video. It's pretty cool to see how fast it works.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Produce-a-Rich-Rust-Patina-on-Iron-and-Steel-Safe/?ALLSTEPS

That is really cool!!!! Love the technique you used. The effect is somewhat similar to what I did on my seat.
Thanks for the video and intractable link.

Wow that's one of the coolest big blocks Ive EVER seen!:eek: and Ive been to a LOT of hot rod shows too... That offset triple deuce manifold is awesome! and is that round casting AC? I cant figure out for the life of me what that is?! The black cylinder at the rear kind of looks like a vintage alternator/generator too... Oh and get back to building! only a few weeks left:grin:

I thought that it was a gear driven alternator, but it looks like it had a belt driven alternator down low on the driver's side. The black cylinder has a big wire to it, kinda like a starter motor. Is it an electric driven supercharger? I don't know what it is, but it was cool and I should have stayed around long enough to hear it fire up.

That is really cool!!!! Love the technique you used. The effect is somewhat similar to what I did on my seat.
Thanks for the video and intractable link.
I was looking through the builds and it looks like outskirtscustoms is doing something similar too with his "Krunk Junk" build. Great minds think alike.

Latest posts

Back