rusty-n-crusty (DONE!!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up this bike during Build Off #7. I was going to swap bikes and use this one, but I made the right choice and stayed with my original bike. I picked up some materials and I was going to build this frame for Build Off #8, but the kitchen remodel got in the way and I wasn't able to participate. Welp, I'm going to build it this year. Some of my materials are outdated, but I'm still using them. Anyways, here's my Huffy Cranebrook.

I wish that I had the beautiful classic frames and parts that everybody else has, but I'm doomed to build cheap walmerto bikes. I'm going to use this build to experiment with some different surface finishes. Hopefully it works out in the end and looks cool.

I had some free time this evening, so I got the bike up on the stand to start breaking it down.

It didn't take too long to break down and there wasn't any drama involved. I don't know if I lubed the chain when I got it or if the previous owner did, but that was the only part on the bike that wasn't rusted.

Check out the fake pin stripe stickers. I plan to apply some real pin stripes instead.

I had some time tonight, so I got it outside to strip the paint.

I have an old grinder with a wire wheel. It does a good job removing paint and rust. I spent a fair amount of time getting as much as a could, but I can't get inside all of the nooks and crannies. Also, the paint color is close to the color of steel, so I had to look close to make sure I wasn't missing anything. After I was done with the wire wheel, I used some aircraft paint stripper to get between the tubes and anywhere else that the wire wheel wouldn't fit. I scraped and cleaned and I think that it turned out well.

As I was sitting and admiring my work and resting my sore back, I realized that I forgot the fork. I'm done for tonight, so I'll have to get the fork done later this week.

I love the bare metal look. After you're done with your forks I have a few pieces in AZ that could use that kinda detailing. Very cool man!

I love the bare metal look. After you're done with your forks I have a few pieces in AZ that could use that kinda detailing. Very cool man!

Oh man, I'm sorry that I missed your pieces when I was in AZ last month for business.

I can't get anything done during the week, but with the day off, my wife at work and my kids at school I was able to strip my forks today. I used paint stripper, and I scraped everything off with a razor blade. I finished it off with a flexible sanding block.

Wow Dude that frame cleaned up nice!!! that would look cool clear coated!!!!

Jats

That's a great bike to start with. My first build off bike was a huffy. Do us proud. Peace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes I get sidetracked from what I am doing. I need air to do some soda blasting and painting on my project, but a while back my air compressor died. I took my compressor apart and the pump is shot, the parts to fix it cost more that I paid for it brand new. Luckly, my friend gave me a 2 stage pump and motor. I finally replaced it this weekend, and it is great. I have much more air than I've ever had before. Now I have no excuse not to get more work done on my bike.

I got back on my bike this evening by repacking the hubs with grease. Absolutely necessary, but totally unsexy as far as build progress goes.

I really enjoy painting, I only wish that I could know how to be better at it. Anyways, I did some experimentation with paint this weekend. I ended up getting my wheel painted. I used the method that I learned here by just masking off the spokes and nipples.

I also started working on my chain guard, but I don't have any pictures yet.

So, I'm behind on my bike and I should have been working on it more than I did this weekend, but I had to sluff working on my build so that I could attend the Rat Fink Reunion. There was a lot of cool stuff to see there.
Some cool furniture for sale at the auction.

Cool cars.

One of the coolest big blocks that I've seen in a while.

Cool metalwork.

Cool artwork.

And awesomly talented artists.

I did get an infusion of motivation to work on my pinstriping, and I can always work on my bike next weekend.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back