Running a steering wheel?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey, so I was looking at a post by @GuitarlCarl where he mentions "Harlequin T" and it got me thinking: is there a relatively easy way to mount up an automotive type steering wheel on a bike? Sure, I know Huffy and some others made a few that way, but an original isn't in the budget. I also know it's not real comfortable or practical, but there is an undeniable cool factor involved.

Also, I happen to have this:
20190210_182834.jpg

20190210_182857.jpg

Yes, that says $2, and the antique store vendor had a 40% off sale going on, so I ended up paying literally pocket change for it. Based on my extensive research (and by extensive I mean less than 5 minutes on Google), this is from a late 1970s Pontiac Firebird or Trans Am. I don't know if it would be easier for me to find the right hub for it and somehow attach that to a stem/steering column, or to make my own hub plate.

So what are your experiences with steering wheels on bikes? What do you use for a stem? Does it work better with a conventional steering wheel that doesn't have a separate hub? Any other ideas/observations/words of wisdom/predictions that I will end up in the hospital if I try this?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back