Ruf'nRusty - Finished! - 28 Jul 11

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finished Bike Thread here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=43502

I'm throwing my hat into the ring for the first time for this build off.

This will be my first rusty bike build up. I got this one for $5.00, so it's also going to be on the cheap.

Murray Skybolt.

rnr1.jpg

rnr9.jpg

rnr3.jpg

rnr6.jpg

rnr4.jpg

rnr8.jpg

rnr7.jpg

rnr5.jpg

rnr2.jpg

rnr10.jpg

Good Luck to all the Builders!

Re: Ruf'nRusty

Great potential. I hear ya wheels turning. Have fun. Now get ta building!!

Oh no! Another 76er!

rnr4.jpg

If I'm reading that sticker right it says 10-76. Mine is 08-76, kinda wish I had yours since it falls on not only my birth year, but month as well.

Love it.

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

yoothgeye, it does indeed say 10-76. If I could get it off intact, I'd gladly give it to you for your bike. That won't happen, so, I guess it and the other stickers stay. BTW: looking at your build so far, I haven't got a chance! Keep up the good work and ideas.

jerrykr said:
Thanks for the encouragement guys!

youthgeye, it does indeed say 10-76. If I could get it off intact, I'd gladly give it to you for your bike. That won't happen, so, I guess it and the other stickers stay. BTW: looking at your build so far, I haven't got a chance! Keep up the good work and ideas.

No problem, my sticker is gone too, I just didn't realize they'd have a sticker dated each month... that's cool. Glad I was given a bike just close to my birthdate, the 10/27 would've been too good to be true.

Oh yeah, and I think it's totally crazy that both of our bikes at over 30 years old each still had the plastic axle shipping caps still attached.

yeah, I've got 3 out of 4. that was the first thing I noticed about this rusty critter when I was loading it up at the garage sale (along with the Schwinn Corvette for $10 --- one of my better garage sale days!) If you happen to want them, I'll save them for you and mail them along???

Great start! Stock up on the PB blaster for that baby! :lol:

jerrykr said:
If you happen to want them, I'll save them for you and mail them along???

Nope, I saved all mine, and really don't need them. Mine also had the little plastic cap that went on the exposed bar tightening bolt on the stem.

Looking like the headline says! Good luck with the build, looks like the bike my friend took to Burning Man.

--Rob

Re: Ruf'nRusty - Progress 10 Jul 11

Spent a good part of Memorial Day taking this rusty thing apart.
The seat post is totally stuck. Got to find a way to deal with it next.

Here's the pile'o'parts so far. :D

rnr11.jpg

You guys are building some great looking bikes!

Re: Ruf'nRusty - Progress 31 May 11

OK, got the wheel set cleaned and repacked. Getting the Shimano coaster back together was interesting to say the least. I *think* I could do it again! :D

The rims in paint - etching primer.

paint1.jpg

I decided to try a suggestion I saw somewhere here, don't remember who posted it, but I used a rattle can of spray on bed liner to get a pretty nice textured paint on the rims. Thanks for the idea - whoever posted it!

paint2.jpg

These 2 rims represent a whole rattle can. I can't imagine how many cans it would take to paint a whole pickup bed. :roll:

Next they go into my paint dry oven -- my attic. It's upwards of 110F up there every afternoon. That should dry the paint! :D

Re: Ruf'nRusty - Seat Tube/Seat Post day - 19 Jun 11

This is the day I've been dreading and putting off until I had a full day to attack it.

Father's Day worked out good for me, as my sons are grown and away, and Sheryl had to work, so I had the day to myself. Only drawback is that it must have been 104F and high winds all day. Crazy weather here! And crazy builder, to choose a day like today to do gas welding! :shock: But, Aug. is creeping up, and this bike won't build itself.

As I've said before the seat post in this frame was Major Stuck. I've been soaking it in PB Blaster for a month, and tried every trick, and it just wouldn't budge. So, I decided to cut it off flush with the seat tube and drill it out with a long 13/16" drill bit I have.

seattube1.jpg

Sounds simple, but believe me this is not easy. I charged my drill motor batteries 4 times in the process, and it took hours, but I finally got it drilled out of the way. My right wrist is going to be hurting tonight. That drill motor has some impressive torque, and a few times the bit grabbed and wrenched my wrist around. Funny thing was, it made me pull the trigger all the harder, I could not get off the "gas". :(

seattube3.jpg

Losing the original seat post was pretty much in the "plan". I wanted to try to build my own laid back seat post anyway. I had previously purchased a couple of lengths of 13/16" round steel bar stock for this very purpose. I also have a new unused 7/8" laid back seat post to use as a pattern.

seattube2.jpg

I wish I had a MIG or TIG electric welder, but I don't, so I stuck this together with my Oxy-Acetylene gas rig. I don't weld often, so I was kind of out of practice, and the results show, but I don't think anything will fall apart. I got it primed and painted, but need to do a little bit of "Bondo Welding" to make it look better. Ran out of time and energy today, Dang it was HOT!

seattube4.jpg

Sorry there were very few pictures, but my hands were dirty and I think you can fill in the blanks!

Should start going together now that I'm past this hurtle, and a lot of the parts are prepped and cleaned.

I still need to create a couple of brackets for the lights. I think you will like the lights I'm going to use.

Stay Tuned!

Just an idea for "next time"... they used to make drills that plugged in. :mrgreen:

yeah, but the one I have doesn't have a big enough chuck for that drill bit! :D

Latest posts

Back