RRBBO7 HYPE UP THREAD!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: OFFICIAL BUILD OFF 7 "HYPE-UP" THREAD!

well I will try again this year. I'll be doing my 1941 JC Higgins. just a simple ole classy rat bike. I will be winning this year.lol. come on May 1.

Outlaw :D

While everyone else is winning this year (except for Mr. 49th place Peatbog), I plan to place in the low numbers like the majority of us.

I love the variety of ideas and execution that everyone brings to the build off. Remember the key to rules is that they are boundaries to play in and creative minds are always pushing those boundaries. As long as you don't break those boundaries you can still play in the yard. Once you escape you are playing in someone elses yard.

As for money invested in a project - do what you can with what you have. If that includes investing money in certain components, so be it. Remember at the end of the day you want a cool bike to ride that will be at minimum comfortable to take downtown for a cup of java. We each have our styles and whether anyone else votes for them or not is not really the point. When you stand back and look at it are you happy to have your build off bike as part of your collection? If so then you did a great job. If not then tear it apart and try again.

I always have grand plans in my head and then lose steam except for two years. So I consider myself batting .333 (2 of 6).

Everyone wins when they build something they are proud to own!
and the fun is the comraderie of the build process!

I am always proud of what I build even if nobody else likes it or not. winning the BO doesn't matter it's the building and what others bring to the game is what matters. I always like all the bike's being build and yes I always have my fav's even if they win or not.
well let the games begin, I am ready. LOL.

I still have 3 bikes to build and get sold. but building the JCH will be an easy build and I want to get it built soon. later.

Outlaw 8)

I am going to build something cool, impractical, obnoxious, and utterly amazing.

outskirtscustoms said:
I am going to build something cool, impractical, obnoxious, and utterly amazing.

Me too, we can be tied for 12th from last.

I joined this site in time to vote for RRBBO5, that hyped me uyp and I dreamed until RRBBO6 and I was the first to enter and worked on it nearly every day and loved every minute of, now I have had an idea for quite a while for this build off and I am participating, but my only worry is the accumulation of bikes that I am *really* attached to, so at some point I will have to say "No, not this year."

I already accumulate tons of bikes, but eventually I can usually find someone worthy to give them to or even sell them too, but a bike that I've planned and worked on and stared at as much as a build-off bike, that's something that I can't see getting rid of.

I know what you mean there, after I got rid of my "Bootlegger bike" I still miss it. But I know it went to a good home and it was taken beyond what I did with it and I have gotten so many other bikes since then that I don't look back. I still have pictures and memories of that bike but if I kept every bike I have ever had I'd need a garage the size of a football stadium. When I was a kid it was not uncommon for me to own 50+ bikes at a time. Right now I only have a small shed but it looks like this:
PB180040.jpg

I'm really torn as to what kind of bike to build this time. Problem is, I don't really use cruiser bikes. I live out in the country, about 8 miles from any civilization. I want something comfy enough that I can ride it all day, but fast enough that I can actually get somewhere.

Seriously thinking about building a lightweight (and am looking at one right now) but I would have to make it something really special for it to stand out.

Do I build it as a solid long-distance rider, or go over the top and make it a crazy cool rat rod?

Or can I do both??? Hmm..... I've been really inspired by MplsCoaster's Spaceliner. I don't want to go the polished route, but I love the fact that it's perfectly ridable and fast enough to get around. 27 pounds is respectable for an old all-steel bike... I think I could get one close to 25 if I were careful.

Ugh. So many choices.

I am thinking a couple of different routes on the build off, I have my unfinished Elgin project from build off 5 I never finished, that will be repainted, different set of hoops ect, then I have the 70 Rollfast /Hawthorne middle wieght, that has a cool look about it, I guess I will know when we git there, hopefully i will be somewhat moved in to the new digs viewtopic.php?f=26&t=53590
I really do look forward to this every year, like a kid at Christmas :wink:

subadrew said:
too many project to start thinking about a new project. Maybe I'll toss something together again at the last second like last year. =)

I remember your "thrown together" bike last year. Wicked mix of old school and new.

Okay, now you got me riled up. I shooting for 38th place now. That'll show you! Maybe 33rd. It rolls off the tongue better.

if you're going to place ''33rd", maybe a Rolling Rock theme would get you there :mrgreen:

Walker said:
Okay, now you got me riled up. I shooting for 38th place now. That'll show you! Maybe 33rd. It rolls off the tongue better.

if you're going to place ''33rd", maybe a Rolling Rock theme would get you there :mrgreen:

Beer themed bikes are overated!!! :oops: :p

Back me up on this one guys.
I think I heard that you are not allowed to use full suspension frames for RRBO7.
Steve added it as super secret rule number 13-X.

kingfish254 said:
I think I heard that you are not allowed to use full suspension frames for RRBO7.
Is a twin flex counted as a full suspension frame? Nevermind I don't have one anyway.

kingfish254 said:

Its ok...you can tell everyone. Its time to let everyone know about Project-X

The white van guy dropped off a big cardboard box containing my build-off tires yesterday..........suhweeeeet!!!

Peatbog said:
That won't work: I don't have any green paint. So I'm going for 35th. That's how old I was before I was 36, so it's a good number.

I'm 35 now, so that might be my place you're shootin' for!

Wait, no full suspension bikes? My bike was made in the same factory in China with cheap full suspension bikes.

This post in the for sale section got me thinking (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53703).
What about a Sears Screamer with a Felt 24x3 rear 5 speed wheel and front deraileur with separate 5 speed and 3 speed stick shifts for the front and back draileurs and OCC forks with the other Felt 24x3.
Guess it would be a Screamer 15.

Nothing like RRBBO talk to get you thinking!!!!

Latest posts

Back