RRBBO7 HYPE UP THREAD!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: OFFICIAL BUILD OFF 7 "HYPE-UP" THREAD!

outskirtscustoms said:
In bikes I like to see the same thing. Something different. Something that pushes the envelope of what a bicycle can be. something I want to steal ideas from. :mrgreen: That is what gets my vote.

Ditto. I love originality. I will vote for a bike build where the person was thinking out of the box... I mean, I love me a traditional rat rod, but it's the ones that make you scratch your head and go "Man, why didn't I think of that?" that rock.

outskirtscustoms said:
In bikes I like to see the same thing. Something different. Something that pushes the envelope of what a bicycle can be. something I want to steal ideas from. :mrgreen:

This reminded me of drinking beers with Jake Sensei last year just after the Build Off. Here is what I posted about it.

• "It is cool how RRBBO#6 makes total strangers "build brothers". I have a biz trip to Philly so Jake Sensei and I decided to meet up for drinks tonight.
    We sat in Monk's Cafe Beer Emporium for 5 hours until after midnight talking almost entirely about the bikes in the build off and our experiences with bikes. I had a blast!!! I
    thanked Jake for being the Build Off Cheerleader/Sensei. The comraderie that Jake showed on the forum was genuine. What an awesome dude!

Cheers to all of my other "build brothers (and sisters)" out there. Raise your glasses high to toast the hard work and hard fun you experienced during this build!!!

As we all sift through the wicked monsters that were built this year and get ready to vote, cue up Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein" and Get To Chillin' - PEACE!"
We didn't have internet to pull up the builds we talked about, but we could remember each one. "Did you see what xxxx did?" "How about that (shifter, fender, seat, fork, etc....)?"

I am looking forward to seeing more stuff that will blow me away this year!!!

outskirtscustoms said:
In bikes I like to see the same thing. Something different. Something that pushes the envelope of what a bicycle can be. something I want to steal ideas from. :mrgreen: That is what gets my vote.

+1 (or was it +2... or +3) anyway...

That's who got my votes last year, not that the top vote getters weren't awesome, but I kind of "expected them." (sorry guys, you won anyway)

Add this one to dream list, only builders get a vote, or only people with XXX posts.

I can see that as problematic and more work for Steve, so how about this one, a builder's choice award, in a separate thread, not a vote, but each builder (who finished their build-off bike on time) posts the name of the 1 bike they'd like to own for all the world to see. This one would be easy.

yoothgeye said:
outskirtscustoms said:

That's who got my votes last year, not that the top vote getters weren't awesome, but I kind of "expected them." (sorry guys, you won anyway)

Add this one to dream list, only builders get a vote, or only people with XXX posts.

I can see that as problematic and more work for Steve, so how about this one, a builder's choice award, in a separate thread, not a vote, but each builder (who finished their build-off bike on time) posts the name of the 1 bike they'd like to own for all the world to see. This one would be easy.

Yoothgeye, this is a family site. You know "XXX" posts are strictly NOT allowed. :roll: :lol: :lol:

Also the builder's choice award is a fun idea, and doing it as a thread in an unofficial way doesn't make even MORE work for Steve. I second your motion!

Just wanted to remind everyone what Steve (Rat Rod) wanted the build-off and the site to be about. It is all for fun.

"My intentions when starting the site was to create a community of folks who enjoyed building and creating cool cruiser bikes with that hot rod look and feel. Middleweights and heavyweight bikes were what I had in mind as the basis for the projects that would be built. On the Schwinn forum many folks would refer to their bikes that were built from different pieces and parts as Rat Rods. Since it was a commonly recognized term I decided to go with that name and figured it would help the site's ratings in the search engines. Initially I wanted hotrodbikes.com, but a motorcycle company already owned that domain name. I also felt that Rat Rod was a good term becuase you instantly knew that the bikes on the site would not be nut and bolt resto jobs and it gave the place a little attitude.

Now over the past couple of years we have seen that the hobby isn't just limited to heavyweights and middleweight bikes. Some folks have managed to build cool rat rod bikes out of lightweight bikes and even out of cheap mountain bikes from Wal-Mart. I could be strict about it all and filter everything out that doesn't fit my definition, but who am I to stifle the movement. As long as you built it, looks cool and has that vintage style to it, we're good.

In regards to the build offs, they were started to increase traffic/activity on the site and give the members a semi-structured environment to build a cool bike. Personally I'd like to keep them very simple and not create a bunch of classes and rules. I think when stuff like this starts to get too complicated then the fun goes away quickly. I'd really like to eliminate the voting part of the build offs altogether. I think most folks would agree that the fun part is watching the build diaries and then seeing all of the finished bikes at the end. I guess the element of competition may drive some folks to push the envelope on their builds, but maybe there could be another incentive to voting like...your bike could end up in a calendar, poster or desktop wallpaper.

So my recommendation is, don't get too hung up on definitions and semantics. Just build cool bikes and have fun."

Thanks for posting that about Steve and his wishes! Couldn't have said it any better.

Keep it simple and have fun! +2 ( or whichever number is next)!

yoothgeye said:
outskirtscustoms said:

Let's not get started on # of posts. I've only been here a few years and already have too many.

outskirtscustoms said:
Let's not get started on # of posts. I've only been here a few years and already have too many.

Yeah, you're right, number of posts don't prove anything but an excess of spare time. :mrgreen:

yoothgeye said:
outskirtscustoms said:

Yeah, you're right, number of posts don't prove anything but an excess of spare time. :mrgreen:

And lack of good riding weather.

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
SchwinnRay will be entering with a Columbia frame! :mrgreen:

SchwinnRay will also be WINNING! :lol:

Of course, how could you lose with a Columbia frame?

I just found out my Columbia is a 1955 Newsboy. It's not built yet, so I'll hold off and use it as my build in the Annual.

A Columbia just might win it!

I did last year :lol: I don't care though, I love that bike :mrgreen:

outskirtscustoms said:
I'm entering a Schwinn. How can you loose?

Count me in! I love the original rules just the way they are. It is all about fun. Of course I like other build off styles such as anything goes etc. but to me this is THE build off of the year and although I know it may change with time but I hope it changes very very slowly.

Don't care about winning, as long as I can blow a few minds with the wicked, awesome, super kewl, bad to the bone, ROAD bike that voices in my head have been ordering me to build for the last few months. :shock:
Peace Y'all

Columbia, Schwinn... whatever, my bike is the winner and it's... a... Pacific. :D

I predict the winning brand will be a DNB of a Graziella.

Maybe something like my 1959 DNB Porta Fold or my Graziella folding 16" tandem.

If I could make these bikes look HOT, I would deserve something!!!! :p

IMAGE_341.jpg

IMG_6409.jpg

How do you take something as impractical as a tandem and make it even more impractical? Make it fold and convince people it's portable! haha

yoothgeye said:
How do you take something as impractical as a tandem and make it even more impractical? Make it fold and convince people it's portable! haha

You also make it weigh about 50-60 pounds!!!! This thing weighs about as much as Fugsley!!
You also add big ape hangers on it so that as you are putting it compactly in the back of you car the handlebars catch on everything!!

Thanks, Here is the original ad for it.
DNB-folding-bike-ad-September-1958.jpg

Especially when I add the 7 foot long springer forks!!!! :p :wink:

Latest posts

Back