RRBBO7 HYPE UP THREAD!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JoKeR63 said:
yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:
There was one bike that posted nothing but the completed bike just a few days before the deadline and I think that was the guys first post on the site. Your son should be fine.

Just for the record, cool bike or not, cool guy or not, I don't appreciate this. I don't just vote on a finished product, I vote on the journey, and in the build off I feel like we're all on this journey together, some of us take the whole time, some take less, but I don't wanna meet anyone waiting at the finish line who doesn't look sweaty and tired like the rest of us.

Yea, that one got my blood boiling! He posted in the finished bike section, and got 12 votes!

(Possible memory fade, this may have happened in RRBO5. That means it's becoming a habit!)

I wasn't condoning what the blue bottle tank bike did. When that one showed up at the last minute in the finished bike section, I was ticked me off as well. It was a great looking bike, but it could have been one that was built 5 years ago or just bought from someone.

I know that there is no way that Chips plans for his son to do that. Just look at the cool build that his son is already doing.

Peatbog said:
But if an Easter Basket was involved, I might be more persuaded to push myself. I like hard boiled, multicolored eggs. Who doesn't?

I'll hard boil and dye the eggs tonight and hold onto them till the end of the build-off. Maybe I'll keep them in the attic till I put them in a box to ship to the winner.

kingfish254 said:
I wasn't condoning what the blue bottle tank bike did. When that one showed up at the last minute in the finished bike section, I was ticked me off as well. It was a great looking bike, but it could have been one that was built 5 years ago or just bought from someone.

I know that there is no way that Chips plans for his son to do that. Just look at the cool build that his son is already doing.

Ok, that wasn't the one I was thinking of. Plus Chips has gone out of his way to do this right. Also KF I understand you don't condon this kind of behavior.
The guy I'm refering to's very first post was in the finished bike section, a clear violation of the rules. And most of us old timers would like to see an intro post as a first post, so it should have been at least #2! :roll:

To me the build report is the most important part of the whole thing. There's a gallery section for showing off cool bikes. I really wish I could remember what bike this was, but it was definitely from RRBO5.

(edit) Found it! It was Naked 41, a grand total of 7 posts, musta' scared him off!

We had a build off on a custom drum forum I'm on, this new guy shows up and makes a really cool totally homebuilt drum..
Only problem was it didn;t sound very good...He got real crappy with everyone when he didn't win...

He didn't stick around for long after that,it's definetly not a place for those with thin skin on that forum...
We didn't even have a prize!!!!!

Peatbog said:
Personally, I don't even see the need for voting. What does it matter? When the bikes are done, we can just all look at them and say, "Wow, that's cool."

You have to be careful about this type of thing. Voting can ruin things if not kept under control. It reminds me of the local Easter Egg hunt I take my kids to. The people running it only have very small prizes such as dimes and quarters and small candies in the eggs. When they had larger prizes, some people got a bit wacky helping their kids collect eggs and looking in the eggs and putting them back if the prize paper wasn't in the egg they found, and others got a bit uptight if their kid didn't win the big prize. And generally speaking, these people kinda ruined it for everyone else, so the normal people tended to quit coming to the Easter Egg hunt while the wacky people tended to take over. It got bad. So the people running the Easter Egg hunt said, "Enough!" and out went the big prizes and back came the fun.

Focus on the fun is what I am saying. The voting is meaningless.

so we should cancel the build off? It's just plain fun. I'm going to be excited to get any votes at all, I have no expectations of winning but the competition is the fun part.

I think the build off is a great way to start the year off in a positive way. Blow off some steam, shake off the winter blues, and get back to building some cool bikes. As long as Rule #10 still aplies I think we are fine.

10. Don't ask a bunch of goofy questions trying to get around the rules...just build a cool bike and have fun.

Peatbog said:
Hey, can I build my own frame if I only use plywood?
You can if it is covering a factory frame :idea: Otherwise it would be in violation of rule 3. Cool idea though. Maybe save it for the after build off anything goes build off.

Here's your chance to build the ultimate Rat Rod Bike.

Follow the rules below and have fun! We're keepin' this thing pretty loose so don't get yourself in a knot. :shock:

Participants should use their thread as a journal including write ups and photos.

1. You can only enter one bike in the build off (can change bikes once if needed)
2. Start a new post and use the bike name as the Subject.
3. Must use factory frame....no altering of original frame structure/geometry
(grinding off fender tabs and cutting seat tube height is okay, just no major frame design changes).
4. Bike must not already be built.
5. Must include before, progress, and after photos (all in one thread please)
6. Bike must be ridable.
7. Use any parts you like....mo rat = mo bettah!
8. Parts can be attached any way you wish (includes welding).
9. Paint must be applied by builder...pinstripping by someone else is acceptable.
10. Don't ask a bunch of goofy questions trying to get around the rules...just build a cool bike and have fun.
11. KEEP IT CHEAP...remember...IT'S A RAT ROD!!!!

You must post your completed bike in the "FINISHED RRBBO6" forum
by 9:00 p.m. CST, August 1, 2011.

DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS POST.

Now get ta buildin'!

I'm doing my part to have fun......I tore down my starter bike to get to the frame and try to see how bad it is under all the layers of old silver and blue paint.

If the head tube is ANY indication of the condition of the chrome under the aged paint, i need to change the name of my build to..............

*****BRIGHTLINER*****

Get your Ray-Bans ready!!!!!

brett4christ said:
I'm doing my part to have fun......I tore down my starter bike to get to the frame and try to see how bad it is under all the layers of old silver and blue paint.

If the head tube is ANY indication of the condition of the chrome under the aged paint, i need to change the name of my build to..............

*****BRIGHTLINER*****

Get your Ray-Bans ready!!!!!

Speaking of shiney that gives me an idea. Maybe an Airstream build is in order :idea:

outskirtscustoms said:
Speaking of shiney that gives me an idea. Maybe an Airstream build is in order :idea:

Like this
IMG00047-20090711-1809.jpg

Or like this
DSC03127.jpg

Both done by member "thatismytruck" (he's like..nine feet tall)

Thanks KingFish! I appreciate that!

I'm not always the greatest at following the rules in some situations, but I think that's part of my job at times. Things like the build off I follow the rules because it's the right thing to do. I try to instill this into my boys as well. There's no sense in cheating to win. There's no reward of your investment. For this build off, I'm building two bikes. I don't really know which one will be my "official entry" as of right now, but one thing is for sure....I'm going to have fun building them!!!!

Last year I pre-wrote my 1st build thread post and had it waiting, when Steve opened the forum I copied and pasted it in place for maximum exposure thinking that I would just post the idea and the "before" photos and then go to bed, but just seconds later another was posted and another, I was up till almost 4am! haha

I thought I would be too busy to do anything that first night, but I went out to the shop and quickly had a mock up! Man, the build-off just does something to you. It's exciting, and when I vote on a bike I am voting on someone who I see that fire in as well. Some did cool bikes and hard work and followed the rules, but it didn't seem like they were in it for the right reason. I might have talked some junk, but I love the build off and it really set a good tone for me last Summer.

I still remember throwing this together, you can see in the photo that the headlight is held on with bailing wire and the only reason the mock-up bars are flipped is because right before I shot the photo they fell down because the stems weren't tightened. I looked at the date stamp: Date/Time: 2011:05:01 11:42:09 Wow. A lot changed on the bike after that photo, but I knew what I was going for, and until that late night mock-up, I really didn't have a real direction. A lot has changed in the shop too, and this build-off I will introduce you all to the new improved shop since the tree fell through the roof.

IMG_4106.jpg

Good times.

Have fun getting a head start on BO7 everyone!!!
I am heading to Southeast Asia to pick up my build bike.
Bon-Voy-Ahh-Gee!

Latest posts

Back