RRBBO7 HYPE UP THREAD!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yoothgeye said:
dragnusa said:
same here cant seem to find a cantilever frame to use for mine.

You're kidding right? :?
Nope, have you seen a single 26 inch cantilever in any of my fresh finds lol. Its just crazy you would think that would be the easiest frame to find. looked at just getting like a Cranbrook to use but I dont like how their welded, and it just wouldnt be the same

dragnusa said:
yoothgeye said:
dragnusa said:
same here cant seem to find a cantilever frame to use for mine.

You're kidding right? :?
Nope, have you seen a single 26 inch cantilever in any of my fresh finds lol. Its just crazy you would think that would be the easiest frame to find. looked at just getting like a Cranbrook to use but I dont like how their welded, and it just wouldnt be the same

Find a Murray cantilever with the pointy dropouts, that's what I built last year in the build off, great frame. I have one at the house now that you'd be welcome to have if you were local, sorry, I don't ship large free items.

I'm getting stuff together for the build off. I'm going for more than 3 votes this year! I just picked up this big sprocket (thanks to a good deal from Roadmaster) and a large sheet of copper.

ivh1g5.jpg

Wildcat said:
I'm getting stuff together for the build off. I'm going for more than 3 votes this year! I just picked up this big sprocket (thanks to a good deal from Roadmaster) and a large sheet of copper.

What are your plans for the copper? Bean's copper tank on Bareknuckle Brawler last year amazed me... sooo nice! I found a copper stove hood that someone threw in the trash and drilled out the rivets, now I have 1 large sheet of copper and 2 smaller pieces. Won't use for the build off, but thinking of doing my own copper tank for my son's cruiser.

Your copper talk just gave me a wild idea for a build off bike. Completely different direction then I'd been thinking, more of a variation of my first idea. It would be awesome, but really not a rat rod at all. And I don't think I have the budget for it either...I'll have to stew on this some more...

kingfish254 said:
brett4christ said:
How many more times can I change my mind?!?!?!?!

Wait until the build off starts and you will definitely find out!!! :D

Speaking of changing your mind, I am having second and third thoughts too. Lately I have been thinking more about building a great rat rod bike for me to use around town. I don't need a chopper trike. I don't need a stretch sidecar. Maybe I should concentrate on a bike that would be cool and fit my needs and not worry so much on a bike that is so out there and a vote getter. No telling what I will end up doing until mid May.

Looks like I joined the forum and bought my first old rustbucket just in time...
I just spent $ 150 on wheels and tires for it tonite...
I'm going for a no frills ratrod myself....
Looking forward to it!!!

kingfish254 said:
Speaking of changing your mind, I am having second and third thoughts too. Lately I have been thinking more about building a great rat rod bike for me to use around town. I don't need a chopper trike. I don't need a stretch sidecar. Maybe I should concentrate on a bike that would be cool and fit my needs and not worry so much on a bike that is so out there and a vote getter. No telling what I will end up doing until mid May.

You know that attention you get by riding Fugsley around town? How much more attention would stretched sidecar get? Hmmmm? Hhhmmmmm???

That's the thing, these "wild" ideas of ours are *not* vote getters, traditionally the vote getters in these build-offs have been the definition Rat Rod Bikes (even though we can't discuss what that means). The freak bikes, theme bikes, and specialty bikes, don't place.

If you build a sweet rat rod bike you'll be more likely to get votes, but I'll be forced to take the sidecar sub build-off trophy home instead of you... come to think of it, I'd be taking it home even if you did build a side car, so meh... whatever.

yoothgeye said:
the vote getters in these build-offs have been the definition Rat Rod Bikes . The freak bikes, theme bikes, and specialty bikes, don't place.
Izzat so :?
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=29618

yoothgeye said:
If you build a sweet rat rod bike you'll be more likely to get votes, but I'll be forced to take the sidecar sub build-off trophy home instead of you... come to think of it, I'd be taking it home even if you did build a side car, so meh... whatever.

Well if it is a sub build off of one, then it won't be hard for you to beat yourself, but I don't think it will be that dificult for any of the other sidecars to beat the Nannie McPhee military sidecar idea (unless you dress the part).

EmmafilmsDH-xGRfVw2ml.jpg

Houndog said:
Looks like I joined the forum and bought my first old rustbucket just in time...
I just spent $ 150 on wheels and tires for it tonite...
I'm going for a no frills ratrod myself....
Looking forward to it!!!

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the Hype! Just remember not to start building until May 1.
Let us see what you are starting with!!!!

Peatbog said:
... only once a year is there such a bicycle building spectacular as this to watch.

Kind of like March Madness and Wrestlemania rolled into one! Whoooooooooooo!

Maybe this will be the build where I make my adult muscle bike?
Spaceliner frame with a Dayton Beehive and Thick Bricks and my custom water ski banana seat with apes and a big ole sissy bar and a wicked stick shift.

Oh yeah and the perfect headbadge!!!!

Maybe we need a muscle bike sub build off?

Anybody wanting subcategories is free to post a thread and create a poll at the end. Same applies if you want a build-off with completely different rules for that matter. :| Whether or not you get entries or voters remains to be seen. :mrgreen:

The thought I keep having is how to make the sidecar quickly and easily detachable, like a receiver hitch, I could just use round tube and a sleeve with pins, but open to ideas.

I do have a lot of quick release seat posts around and could use seat tube collars and pieces of seat post... hmmmm...

I guess sometimes it just helps to start "thinking out loud."

yoothgeye said:
The thought I keep having is how to make the sidecar quickly and easily detachable, like a receiver hitch, I could just use round tube and a sleeve with pins, but open to ideas.

I do have a lot of quick release seat posts around and could use seat tube collars and pieces of seat post... hmmmm...

I guess sometimes it just helps to start "thinking out loud."

I was thinking of using the clamp-ons that most kiddie trailers have. You could keep the clamp part attached and just undo the cotter pin. Or when you want just the single bike naked, you could easily remove the clamps.

kingfish254 said:
I was thinking of using the clamp-ons that most kiddie trailers have. You could keep the clamp part attached and just undo the cotter pin. Or when you want just the single bike naked, you could easily remove the clamps.

Good luck finding them, I've put out wanted ads for them with no luck, and a new replacement is over $30 each.

yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:

Good luck finding them, I've put out wanted ads for them with no luck, and a new replacement is over $30 each.

This is what I was thinking of using. Buy 2 for $32 and get free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-Discovery- ... 925&sr=1-6

Latest posts

Back