RRBBO7 HYPE UP THREAD!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: OFFICIAL BUILD OFF 7 "HYPE-UP" THREAD!

Not being able to modify a frame by welding keeps me from entering, well that and never finishing anything before either losing interest or finding another project:D

kingfish254 said:
Scenario 1: Trike - Take any stock frame as your base build frame. Remove a trike rear end from an old adult trike and bolt on (or weld) this rear end to the stock build frame. Does this violate rule 3??????

Scenario 2: Homemade longtail (xtracycle) - Take any stock frame as your base build frame. Use the rear triangle from a cheap wally world suspension bike and bolt it to the base frames dropouts and add support member (bolted or welded). Does this violate rule 3?????

Trike is fine, you are leaving the frame alone, only adding parts to it. Graylock did an Xtracycle type bike in RRBBO#5 (I think) once again, frame was same, just added parts.

Forks are not included with frame, you can add any type of fork you want, there have been some crazy ones, so if you wanted 8 foot long chopper forks, go for it.

I have seen diamond frames entered into the build off that have had an extra bar welded in to make it appear like a tank bike, the frame really wasn't modified, just an accessory bar added. Now, if you wanted to cut off the head tube and add rake... no. Cut out top and down tube and stretch... no. You can add as much as you want as long as (like outskirtcustoms said) you can still see the original frame in all the add ons, same head tube angle, length of tubes, etc...

Ask as much as you want here, but don't ask Steve, we should be thankful he's letting us have another. Is there a rule committee? No, we are self ruling and our voting should represent our respect of the rules and how people built along those lines.

I think "expensive" is a relative term, but I think cheap is more definable.

As for the different classes based on our overall level of growing skill, let us not forget we are a growing community and we were once where others are now who can enter this build-off under rules that set a level playing field.

SchwinnRay will be entering with a Columbia frame! :mrgreen:

SchwinnRay will also be WINNING! :lol:

I have seen diamond frames entered into the build off that have had an extra bar welded in to make it appear like a tank bike, the frame really wasn't modified, just an accessory bar added.

This is what I'm talking about, how is adding a frame tube "not really modified". I have a sweet frame that I would consider entering but it has been the subject of a gender swap.

SCHWINNRAY69 said:

You need to change your user name now. haha

Walker said:
This is what I'm talking about, how is adding a frame tube "not modifying a frame". I have a sweet frame that I would consider entering but it has been the subject of a gender swap.

When the rules ask for a stock frame, it means the shape/geometry. This is to keep from awesome stretches, burritos, lowriders, etc... If you have to keep the seatpost in the same stock location and distance from the head tube and BB and rear drops, it helps us get creative and shows others what they can make from the same frame that they have.

You can weld in a bar to make it look like a tank bike or you could duct tape it in place, you aren't really modding the frame, just adding to it. Fine line, sure, but everyone knows when you've passed it. haha

Double Nickle said:
I think im going BMX this year....

Mine came equipped with 20" wheels.

yoothgeye said:
Ask as much as you want here, but don't ask Steve, we should be thankful he's letting us have another. Is there a rule committee? No, we are self ruling and our voting should represent our respect of the rules and how people built along those lines.

I agree completely. No need to burden Steve with silly judgement calls. That's why I threw it out to the group (i.e. rules committee).

Thanks for all of the feedback guys!!!!

What about a rake on the front end to accommodate a monster chopper fork? Would that be allowed? Or could I leave it alone and weld a second steer tube onto the existing one but leave the stock frame?

mikesbikes36 said:
rules ....we dont need no stinkin rules :mrgreen:
i just thing an anything goes build off would b cool !!!!

That would be AWESOME! Maybe after the build off we can have an UN-official anything goes build off.

This is agreat example of keeping the frame unmodified but thinking outside of the box. Look at the frame, it's all there (thanks to icyuod2):

IMG_0655.jpg

Here's another that changed riding geometry but kept the frame unmodified (thanks to Skipton):

buildoffbike5070.jpg

And for you Xtracycle fans (thanks to Graylock):

Jua_Kali-01.jpg

SCHWINNRAY69 said:

Wait a minute!! How can you win when I thought I was going to win??????? :p :x 8)

outskirtscustoms said:
What about a rake on the front end to accommodate a monster chopper fork? Would that be allowed? Or could I leave it alone and weld a second steer tube onto the existing one but leave the stock frame?

See CInco de Polo. Quite Legal.

sftdn01.jpg

Okay so we can add anything to it we just can't take anything away from it or change what is there. SWEET!

Muah ha ha ha :mrgreen: Evil thoughts are brewing :mrgreen:

To me, one of the main things is to have fun and build something YOU like, but those votes sure are cool kudos and pats on the back.
I really didn't notice any politics to the voting, but you do have to keep in mind voters if you want to win.
Just my opinion, but I felt muscle bikes (Smoopy in particular) , bmx, and overly modified bikes didn't get the votes that some deserved. But that is just my opinion. There has been a ton of discussion on what exactly is a rat rod style. I think to really get the votes, you have to at least show a little reverence to a "classic" rat rod.

Walker said:
This is what I'm talking about, how is adding a frame tube "not modifying a frame". I have a sweet frame that I would consider entering but it has been the subject of a gender swap.
When the rules ask for a stock frame, it means the shape/geometry. This is to keep from awesome stretches, burritos, lowriders, etc... If you have to keep the seatpost in the same stock location and distance from the head tube and BB and rear drops, it helps us get creative and shows others what they can make from the same frame that they have.

You can weld in a bar to make it look like a tank bike or you could duct tape it in place, you aren't really modding the frame, just adding to it. Fine line, sure, but everyone knows when you've passed it. haha

So welding in a tank is not modifying but a gender change is.....this all seems too subjective to me. I'll wait for the Anything Goes. Which is fine, no worries here. Just seeking clarification for myself and probably others as well.

In my opinion, the rule(s) should either be cut and dry, not subject to interpretation. Either you can't break out the welder and saw on a frame or you can.

Walker said:
In my opinion, the rule(s) should either be cut and dry, not subject to interpretation. Either you can't break out the welder and saw on a frame or you can.

This is why I like the term "non-destructive"....add all you want, as ling as the original frame is completely recognizable. Gender change by ADDING a bar, not removing it!

Just a thought................

Peatbog said:
kingfish254 said:
SCHWINNRAY69 said:

Wait a minute!! How can you win when I thought I was going to win??????? :p :x 8)

Everybody wins! You enter and you end up with another bike. How can you lose? :wink:

No doubt Peat!!! Not only is it a blast building and posting your progress or ideas, but also logging on each night and seeing what builder X did or being totally blown away by builder Y. The comraderie and competition was more than I had expected. Last year was my first custom bike build period, and I have been hooked ever since.

So did someone say when this thing is starting? Is there an "official" post yet? I have been wanting to get into a build off (my first) and I guess this will be it. I can't wait!

Rule number 3 states no altering the frame, ie no welding. All of the mods I have seen mentioned here have either bolt on, clamp on, or in the case of the bar added to the diamond frame epoxied on modifications. Breaking the rules will not get you disqualified, but the voting membership will take it into account.

udallcustombikes said:
Rule number 3 states no altering the frame, ie no welding. All of the mods I have seen mentioned here have either bolt on, clamp on, or in the case of the bar added to the diamond frame epoxied on modifications. Breaking the rules will not get you disqualified, but the voting membership will take it into account.

8. Parts can be attached any way you wish (includes welding).

Just saying :wink:

It's only March and there are all ready 5 pages of Build Off talks :shock:

Let's not forget it's for FUN!

Latest posts

Back