RRBBO7 HYPE UP THREAD!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kingfish254 said:
Jake gets some cool stuff from their bike co-op.
I remember the MoonEyes seat he got last year!!!!

Ahhh... I never heard him say co-op, I just remember him talking about a basement. Man, I think I'm the local co-op here.

About to go pick this up. It just might be BO7 material!

tandem.jpg

If I use this I won't use the front crank. I will peddle the back crank but lay forward with my rear about where the front seat/rear bars are.

I had planned on doing something similar with a homemade longtail design, but the more my head is wrapping around this frame, I think it's the one!

Think of a limo stretch board tracker with a gigantic stretch banana seat / belly board!!!!!! :p :shock:

yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:
Jake gets some cool stuff from their bike co-op.
I remember the MoonEyes seat he got last year!!!!

Ahhh... I never heard him say co-op, I just remember him talking about a basement. Man, I think I'm the local co-op here.
Yo I'm standing in "The Basement" at bikeworks and look to my left and see a Schwinn speedster! So I snag it. No seat, no tires and very dusty. Then in the scrap section I find a nana seat with sissy bar. Muahahahahahaha!! Cue up that Tom Petty "I should've known it" and Get ta thinin'!! Peace

Jake, we need some photos from your evil lair. It aint real unto there is visual evidence!! :p

Sidecar question.
I know most sidecars are attached in a fixed manner pretty much prevening much leaning with the frame.
I am thinking that if my attaching points are only along the line of the bottom of my frame, that I could actually make them pivot joints. This would allow the sidecar to remain level while the bike could lean left or right. Can you picture that? Any flaws in my logic or engineering???????

kingfish254 said:

tandem.jpg

Man I would love to have one of these!

I would use the front crank and bars(flipped) but the seat would be the rear one. It would be so long and cool.

Would need to be "bent in to a pretzel" to ride :wink:

Can't wait to see what you do with it! :mrgreen:

Kingfish,

You could use heim joints to connect the sidecar to the bike, but you would have to ensure that the centerline of the heim joints are in line and parallel to eachother or it will bind when you lean. The other kink in the cog would be how the third wheel would react during a turn, especially turning toward the sidecar.

It occurs to me that if you mounted the car on a pivot, the whole assembly wouldn't be able to stand up on its own. Of course, you possibly could still use the bike's side stand. But it would be sort of like the suspension in a car (or a springer fork) - without the spring and damper, the whole thing collapses. If you wanted it to be self supporting, you'd need a spring system to allow the movement while supporting the assembly. Maybe torsion springs on the pivot. You'd probably have to have two opposing springs so that it returned it to a vertical position normally. A damper might be necessary if the system is too bouncy, but maybe not.

Also, the side car wouldn't remain truly level; the geometry might be kind of odd. Assuming it was mounted on the right side, if you lean left, the pivot point on the frame will raise up to an extent, and if you lean right it will drop. Probably not a lot, but some. How much would be based on how wide the pivot extends from the bike's centerline, and far above the bike's roll center the attachment point is. Since the roll center is at the tire contact with the ground, even mounted to the chain stay it would be a foot over the roll center.

But aside from all that, there's no reason it wouldn't work. Just make sure that you've got enough clearance for the pedal swing when you're leaned into the car.

expjawa said:
It occurs to me that if you mounted the car on a pivot, the whole assembly wouldn't be able to stand up on its own. Of course, you possibly could still use the bike's side stand. But it would be sort of like the suspension in a car (or a springer fork) - without the spring and damper, the whole thing collapses. If you wanted it to be self supporting, you'd need a spring system to allow the movement while supporting the assembly. Maybe torsion springs on the pivot. You'd probably have to have two opposing springs so that it returned it to a vertical position normally. A damper might be necessary if the system is too bouncy, but maybe not.

Also, the side car wouldn't remain truly level; the geometry might be kind of odd. Assuming it was mounted on the right side, if you lean left, the pivot point on the frame will raise up to an extent, and if you lean right it will drop. Probably not a lot, but some. How much would be based on how wide the pivot extends from the bike's centerline, and far above the bike's roll center the attachment point is. Since the roll center is at the tire contact with the ground, even mounted to the chain stay it would be a foot over the roll center.

But aside from all that, there's no reason it wouldn't work. Just make sure that you've got enough clearance for the pedal swing when you're leaned into the car.

Giving Kingfish sidecar advice, but not me? :x :mrgreen:

yoothgeye said:
Giving Kingfish sidecar advice, but not me? :x :mrgreen:

All you gotta do is ask. But they like me better anyway!!! :p :shock:

Skipton said:
Man I would love to have one of these!

I would use the front crank and bars(flipped) but the seat would be the rear one. It would be so long and cool.

Would need to be "bent in to a pretzel" to ride :wink:

Can't wait to see what you do with it! :mrgreen:

I agree that these frames would make great limo stretch choppers. But I think I have seen that done a few times now. But like Python said "And now for something completely different"

YG, I'll play nice! :D Got a question for me? I'll even answer in a PM to keep the conversation double-top-secret!!! :lol:

kingfish254 said:

tandem.jpg
Awesome, another tandem in the build off!

Awesome, another tandem in the build off![/quote]

Yeah, another sub-build off.

kingfish254 said:
Awesome, another tandem in the build off!

Yeah, another sub-build off.[/quote]

So you're in 2 sub-build-offs with the same bike? No fair!

OK, I'm in the sidecar sub-build-off, so if I can find someone using a WCC Jesse James chopper frame I can be in a sub-build-of with them, and/or if I can find someone doing a military theme, I can be in a sub-build-off with them.

Who's in?

Alright, sidecars... this has been covered in conversations on this side before and was talked about a few threads up. I have been thinking about making a hinged sidecar instead of rigid, but then you lose the ability to get up on 2 wheels lifting the sidecar into the air, which is pretty cool. But I was thinking, what if I added a linkage to the outside wheel so that when you turned/leaned right, the hinged portion would push the linkage out causing the outside wheel to turn slightly right, and when going left, the wheel would slightly turn left. It would be cool, but would it actually do anything? I mean, the back wheel is still staying in the same position...

yoothgeye said:
Alright, sidecars... this has been covered in conversations on this side before and was talked about a few threads up. I have been thinking about making a hinged sidecar instead of rigid, but then you lose the ability to get up on 2 wheels lifting the sidecar into the air, which is pretty cool. But I was thinking, what if I added a linkage to the outside wheel so that when you turned/leaned right, the hinged portion would push the linkage out causing the outside wheel to turn slightly right, and when going left, the wheel would slightly turn left. It would be cool, but would it actually do anything? I mean, the back wheel is still staying in the same position...

Assuming that your sidecar wheel is close to parallel with the rear wheel, I don't know if turning it would help anything or not. It would be really different if you had your sidecar wheel even with the front wheel, then it would almost have to help steer.

Back