RRBBO7 HYPE UP THREAD!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: OFFICIAL BUILD OFF 7 "HYPE-UP" THREAD!

kingfish254 said:
After reading over the rules again, I guess Fugsley could have been a legal entry.

I don't think so based on this rule: 3. Must use factory frame....no altering of original frame structure/geometry

This means fugsley's rear wheel would have had to fit into the stock drops.

Guys... I am in again, I don't know why, I guess I just don't like sleep and enjoy paint fumes.

I have bought the bike... and the other bike, I might just need both. :shock:

I have not touched either because I am a stickler for the rules, and it may only be my pet peeve, but it really ticks me off when I see the rules blatently broken, oh I won't call you out unless everyone is, but this one is overlooked the most:

11. KEEP IT CHEAP...remember...IT'S A RAT ROD!!!!

Also I see bikes that have obviously been started before the Build-Off in one way or another, and some late entries without a documented build.

Sorry, I think the rules are great and keep people from getting a leg up.

My rant is over.

Finally, the bike I will be building will not win, last year I thought I could, but I didn't understand the politics, I still loved the bike I built and I thought it fit into the build-off great, this year... not so much, this one should make people say "Huh?" :?

And just so I know I'll be okay in my 1st build off, will my Hawthorne be okay? I've already started a thread on it but I've not done any work to the bike itself yet. I've only cut out a couple pieces of wood for it. Does that disqualify the bike? Do I need to wait for an official start date to begin any serious work?

Chips_Mahoy said:
And just so I know I'll be okay in my 1st build off, will my Hawthorne be okay? I've already started a thread on it but I've not done any work to the bike itself yet. I've only cut out a couple pieces of wood for it. Does that disqualify the bike? Do I need to wait for an official start date to begin any serious work?

If you have something else to do in the meanwhile, I believe the start date is the start date. Collect the bike and parts until then and you can even tear down, but I didn't start even mocking anything up until the night it started.

yoothgeye said:
Chips_Mahoy said:

If you have something else to do in the meanwhile, I believe the start date is the start date. Collect the bike and parts until then and you can even tear down, but I didn't start even mocking anything up until the night it started.
Okay. That's kind of what I was doing. I needed to cut the boards right away so I isn't miss out on their availability. Other than that, I'm just planning and visualizing.

The "keep it cheap" rule is the part I have the toughest time with. It seems like no matter what I do, the price rolls up pretty easily unless I use entirely crappy old parts. I know these are supposed to be rats, but still, I like to have dependable hardware because I plan to put a lot of miles on anything I build. That usually means new wheels, brakes, etc. Well, that, and I have trouble with not wanting to add a lot of cool upgrades...

Well, looks like.......I'M IN!

I'm kinda in with yoothgeye....if it says it in the rules, it's a rule!

Here's an idea.....What if we reward the frugal builder? Like bonus points for keeping it under $50?

It doesn't really matter that much to me, personally, because I have no choice but to adhere to Rule 11......I just don't want to be beat out by BLING! :lol:

Practically all my stuff is from donor bikes. As I sit, making ready for my build, I have a whopping total of......$5 invested.......for the donor bike. The build frame was free!

So, when's the OFFICIAL start date? I'm impatient........WELL!?!?!

I'm going to try to get in on the build this year, since my only rat bike is gone.

Soooo hard to keep things cheap when most of the money goes into the wheels (at least for me) because nice wheels just make the bike. So hard to find nice used wheels around here. I usually build my own, but they're still not cheap if you get good stuff!

With that being said, I might offer my wheelbuilding services this year... still haven't decided what to build. I need to find the right frame first. You know it when you see it: one that begs to be ratted.

steve-

take two of these and call me in a couple months.......

untitled.png

or maybe a few of these............

imagesCAVX6MO1.jpg

:mrgreen:

Okay, found several worthy frames on Ebay... will see what I can get that is my size and go from there. Don't want to blow my budget (or ideas) early! All I gotta say is, it will be interesting if it comes out the way I imagine it in my head.

:mrgreen:

yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:
After reading over the rules again, I guess Fugsley could have been a legal entry.

I don't think so based on this rule: 3. Must use factory frame....no altering of original frame structure/geometry

This means fugsley's rear wheel would have had to fit into the stock drops.

It would be great to get some clarification on this rule before the build. Not that I have anything like Fugsley planned, but it does use the factory frame. The only thing that was cut from the factory frame were the forks. It doesn't say you have to use the original dropouts, otherwise there are plenty of builds that would have been disqualified that had drop out extensiions for the rear wheels (and front supensions have been WIDE open to create

Here are a couple of scenarios that I would like the rules committee (basically the forum) to give feedback on.

Scenario 1: Trike - Take any stock frame as your base build frame. Remove a trike rear end from an old adult trike and bolt on (or weld) this rear end to the stock build frame. Does this violate rule 3??????

Scenario 2: Homemade longtail (xtracycle) - Take any stock frame as your base build frame. Use the rear triangle from a cheap wally world suspension bike and bolt it to the base frames dropouts and add support member (bolted or welded). Does this violate rule 3?????

I feel this is still in the spirit of a rat build because you are taking random parts to embelish your base bike. No different than adding 4 foot long pipes to your forks to make a monster chopper (which changes the geometry of the ride, but doesn't change the geometry of the base frame).

Please weigh in with your opinions.

I don't think frame add-ons would violate the rule, as long as it's a wicked looking build, and it's obviously not mutilating the frame.

I could very well build an Xtracycle for the next build-off. I'd hate to think that would disqualify it.

Of course, the specs for the Xtracycle system are openly available, so who's to say I couldn't build a retro version of it to match the frame it's going on.

My two ideas for the build-off would be:
1. An extremely ratty (but fast) road bike to embarass the roadies with on the weekends
2. A cargo bike (most likely an Xtracycle) done up in proper RatRod style.

It would have to be a pretty fast road bike, or a really awesome cargo bike... my current bike is decent at both.

I'm personally good with "non-destructive" frame modifications (ie. no cutting /welding of the original frame that prevents the original forks/wheels/crank from being reinstalled in its original position or functioning properly). Tweeks for wheel clearance (again, no cutting/welding) are allowed, although moving/removing seatstay/chainstay braces could be allowed if all agreed.

OFFICIAL BUILD OFF 7 "HYPE-UP" THREAD!

I always cut up and modify my frames, but I've had a Schwinn frame held off to the side for a whole for the build off. As tough as it will be, I plan on being a stickler, and doing no modding at all to the frame.

I am in for my first build off!

As Rat Rod said in last year's build off, trace the frame with chalk on the sidewalk. If it still fits the outline when you're done it is legal. cutting chain guard tabs, chain stay and seat stay braces, or shaving emblems is allowed.

no i mean ...we should have 2 chop up the frame in order 2 be in the build off ...no stock frames allowed !!! see what im sayin

mikesbikes36 said:
no i mean ...we should have 2 chop up the frame in order 2 be in the build off ...no stock frames allowed !!! see what im sayin

Some people don't have access to a welder so they keep it stock frame so everyone can participate and not have an unfair advantage. I think with RRB evolving and more of us getting welders and having access to advanced tools (Just got a welder myself) we should update the rules to have 3 winners per year.

Stock class - no frame mods other than what is allowed now.

Modified - stock frame that has been cut, bent, stretched, mated to another frame, or otherwise modified but keeps original lines. Fugsley would fall in this category.

and Scratch built - frame built entirely from raw material using one's own design.

Latest posts

Back