RRBBO7 HYPE UP THREAD!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: OFFICIAL BUILD OFF 7 "HYPE-UP" THREAD!

I had such a blast last year building BEER RUN, I haven't stopped thinking about RRBBO7 since then. Fugsley is cool, but it couldn't have been a BO bike because of the extra welding that totaly changed the geometry (sorta).

I have have two builds in my head and parts for.
- Chopper trike from Nirve chopper and 70s Western Flyer adult trike back end. (Would this be legal with BO rules?).
- Bonneville Salt Flats Sidecar (who knows what frame) with a aero sidecar made from an areo Cannondale kiddy trailer. I have some pretty cool ideas about the drivetrain on this one too. I also have some cool ideas about making banana seats out of old wooden water skis, so it might even morph into a Bonneville Saltwater Sidecar.

I have picked up some cool frames and stuff since the last build, so who knows what I'll do.

Hopin' that our cheerleader Jake Sensei returns from his hiatus to tell us what tunes to cue up and to "Git to Buildin', Peace"

I might just build the winner this year, I have been gathering parts all year and finally have everything I need except tires and a few odds and ends. I don't want to say exactly what it is only that it is 24" and NOT a men's frame.

I think everyone else should just forfeit and let me win!!!!! :p :shock: :mrgreen: 8)

Can't say I didn't try, my entry last year was a 20" pink (and brown) girls bike! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not gonna enter this year, not building anything in the lab that will be 'bold' enough or doesn't have an altered frame. Guess I'm in my bi-polar boring or extreme phase! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck to all who will enter this year, I can't wait to watch the madness!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Say it ain't so Tank!!! That was a cool build you had last year.
I guess you will be spending valuable time on you OCC Phantom. Hopefully you will still be there to offer opinions and encouragement.

In the future there should be different categories to win, such as stock, modified, and scratch built.

kingfish254 said:
Say it ain't so Tank!!! That was a cool build you had last year.
I guess you will be spending valuable time on you OCC Phantom. Hopefully you will still be there to offer opinions and encouragement.

Yep, the OCC Phantom and a resto-mod 1950 Monark for the Mrs. The Monark will be a K.I.S.S. build, nothing too crazy.

I'm sure you'll come up with something awesome! And, of course I'll be here with my usual brand of opinion and artistic advice.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Dr.T

Haha I figured it was about time to see a thread like this!! Well Mr. Tyler, I've had my Build-Off bike for a couple of months now............but I tore it down and built it up this weekend. :roll: :roll: Oops.

BUT I have another idea in mind that will be just perfect for the Build Off. Muahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa

I don't believe I will partake this year. I find being limited by the rules too crushing on my creativity. Add to that the fact that I have a minimal parts surplus and only one bare frame ('67 Schwinn Racer diamond frame) that I already have a plan in the works.

Perhaps the Midwest Bike Swap will help some parts find their way to my bike cave, or maybe not. Guess we will all have to see what happens.

Mmmmm........very timely thread.......I had an overactive mind last night and tossed and turned trying to get to sleep, but all I could think of was different ideas for RRBBO7 :shock: .

OK.....I might be throwing my hat into the ring, but......where can I find definitive rules for a RRB BO?

Sounds like frame welding is a no-no.....how 'bout forks?
Can they be modified/built?
Can you make non-destructive modifications to frames (ie. bends)?

Point me in the right direction and maybe I can conceive some diabolical plan to take over the (RRB) world!

brett4christ said:
....where can I find definitive rules for a RRB BO?

Here are the rules from RRBBO6. The rules stay the same for the most part from year to year.

Here's your chance to build the ultimate Rat Rod Bike.

Follow the rules below and have fun! We're keepin' this thing pretty loose so don't get yourself in a knot. :shock:

Participants should use their thread as a journal including write ups and photos.

1. You can only enter one bike in the build off (can change bikes once if needed)
2. Start a new post and use the bike name as the Subject.
3. Must use factory frame....no altering of original frame structure/geometry
(grinding off fender tabs and cutting seat tube height is okay, just no major frame design changes).
4. Bike must not already be built.
5. Must include before, progress, and after photos (all in one thread please)
6. Bike must be ridable.
7. Use any parts you like....mo rat = mo bettah!
8. Parts can be attached any way you wish (includes welding).
9. Paint must be applied by builder...pinstripping by someone else is acceptable.
10. Don't ask a bunch of goofy questions trying to get around the rules...just build a cool bike and have fun.
11. KEEP IT CHEAP...remember...IT'S A RAT ROD!!!!

You must post your completed bike in the "FINISHED RRBBO6" forum
by 9:00 p.m. CST, August 1, 2011.

DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS POST.

Now get ta buildin'!

Check out the archives for all the past build offs and get ideas rattling around in your noggin.

After reading over the rules again, I guess Fugsley could have been a legal entry. But then I would have had to wait to enjoy it. It's not really a "rat" or classic bike style though. The other builds I m thinking about are. I don't see any rules that would prevent me from either of those builds, so the sky is the limit.

Git to build thinkin', Peace

I've been planning mine for the last 6 months - and I've changed direction two or three times in that time. Might change again before May comes around too... :mrgreen:

Back