RRBBO14 Prize Pool

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
For the first time build off folks, here's how this works:

First off we all get a cool bike that we each have built as our own prize if we finish! But to sweeten the pot, anyone that feels like going one step further can award a prize based on whatever criteria that you choose. Just keep in mind that it is possible that your prize may require International shipping. You can post what you plan to give your prize for and post pictures of the prize if you have them. This is all voluntary and works on the honor system.

Our friend @kingfish254 started a tradition a few years ago of having the previous year's winner build a first place trophy for the following year's winner. Since @LukeTheJoker was the last winner of the 'Anything goes/class 2' a few years ago and I was last years winner, he and I discussed it and he has agreed to building the CLASS 2 trophy and I will build the CLASS 1 trophy. Of course if you want to give a first prize also it's up to you.

Remember this is all just for fun and bikes!

I have sent prizes in the past but I don't think I will be this year. Postage prices limit the size of any prize. I made button badges for class 1 and 2 of the last muscle bike build off and I got confirmation that one arrived but not the other. So remember that just sending something doesn't mean it'll get to where it's meant to go. And also, some countries require customs duties and so on which may have to be paid by the recipient if the item is of a certain value/size etc.

Think about it carefully before offering a prize. o_O

Glen.

For the first time build off folks, here's how this works:

First off we all get a cool bike that we each have built as our own prize if we finish! But to sweeten the pot, anyone that feels like going one step further can award a prize based on whatever criteria that you choose. Just keep in mind that it is possible that your prize may require International shipping. You can post what you plan to give your prize for and post pictures of the prize if you have them. This is all voluntary and works on the honor system.

Our friend @kingfish254 started a tradition a few years ago of having the previous year's winner build a first place trophy for the following year's winner. Since @LukeTheJoker was the last winner of the 'Anything goes/class 2' a few years ago and I was last years winner, he and I discussed it and he has agreed to building the CLASS 2 trophy and I will build the CLASS 1 trophy. Of course if you want to give a first prize also it's up to you.

Remember this is all just for fun and bikes!

I can't take credit for the tradition, it existed in the early Build Offs, but fell by the wayside. I only revived it. Can't wait to see what you and Luke come up with.

Its fine with me to mention that it was just yesterday that you got your trophy for last years build off:bigsmile:.
It was well worth the wait! Thanks again!
I can't take credit for the tradition, it existed in the early Build Offs, but fell by the wayside. I only revived it. Can't wait to see what you and Luke come up with.
That was before my time so I credit you!

Here's the trophy that @kingfish254 rebooted the tradition with:

Thanks Brian!

I have sent prizes in the past but I don't think I will be this year. Postage prices limit the size of any prize. I made button badges for class 1 and 2 of the last muscle bike build off and I got confirmation that one arrived but not the other. So remember that just sending something doesn't mean it'll get to where it's meant to go. And also, some countries require customs duties and so on which may have to be paid by the recipient if the item is of a certain value/size etc.

Think about it carefully before offering a prize. o_O

Glen.
Maybe you can give a prize to the highest placing builder in your region. Or something along those lines that will insure that the shipping stays regional for you. Just a thought.

As TRM said, I am in for the Class 2 winners trophy. It may have to be a little smaller than that awesome prize TRM posted for the sake of shipping though!

I am working on designs that the winner could add some easily found bike parts to reassemble it, just to keep the weight and size down. Like for instance if it was a winners "cup" the stem could be a front hub, there would be nuts welded top and bottom and the winner could thread any hub of their choice in...

Awesome work @bikewhorder!

The "OddJob Award for Most Rust-ified Rat-isfying Rat Rods" (aka "The OJ's" ) will return for it's 5th consecutive year.

These bikes, which have a combination of real and faux-tina, epitomize the rat rod bicycle in my own weird rat-ionalizations. Each winner of this award will receive a copy of an ad for Hawk Model Company's "Weird-Oh" model kits from the March 1964 edition of Hot Rod Magazine! This ad will be custom coffee-aged by yours true-Lee and mailed to each recipient.

20160801_082610.jpg

Thinking about offering up one of the custom RatRod license plates to the Build receiving 14th place in Class #1. Similar to the one I posted in my Build thread.
I have no experience sending anything internationally. It would have value around $17 and would fit in an padded envelope. Any ideas on what that would end up costing me to send out of the USA if the winner is offshore?
Incase of a tie there would be some kind of tiebreaker decision, # of replies, views or something like that.

Thinking about offering up one of the custom RatRod license plates to the Build receiving 14th place in Class #1. Similar to the one I posted in my Build thread.
I have no experience sending anything internationally. It would have value around $17 and would fit in an padded envelope. Any ideas on what that would end up costing me to send out of the USA if the winner is offshore?
Incase of a tie there would be some kind of tiebreaker decision, # of replies, views or something like that.

USPS can give a quote.
https://www.usps.com/international/

I've shipped some small things overseas, the price they quote is just about right.

If memory serves me correct, I paid about $60 shipping last year to send my designated prize to New Zealand, or maybe it was Australia (from east coast). It was a seat and a pair of grips. So keep that in mind those that offer up heavier items. I didn't mind cuz it's a tax right off.

If memory serves me correct, I paid about $60 shipping last year to send my designated prize to New Zealand, or maybe it was Australia (from east coast). It was a seat and a pair of grips. So keep that in mind those that offer up heavier items. I didn't mind cuz it's a tax right off.

It was me here in New Zealand and I appreciated it very much. They'll go on a bike one day :nod:

For shipping prize items, also be aware that some countries need the recipient to pay taxes and what not, so the person might have to pay something to get the prize. Another thing is if the item actually makes it to the recipient. I sent a couple of badges for the last MBBO and I know one person got it but never heard about the other... don't know if it made it or not. However, a simple PM through the forum would answer that question, but I haven't done that yet.

Glen.

Alright, I'm in for a prize. Being a bicycle mechanic for as long as I have been, I have an appreciation for some skilled mechanic work. This prize will be for the builder of my choice that exemplifies great mechanical skill. Either category 1 or 2 is eligible, and unfortunately because of the size, only able to ship to the contiguous US.

The prize is one of these, from a 60-year-old bike shop that went out of business
20190628_131616.jpg

Alright, I'm in for a prize. Being a bicycle mechanic for as long as I have been, I have an appreciation for some skilled mechanic work. This prize will be for the builder of my choice that exemplifies great mechanical skill. Either category 1 or 2 is eligible, and unfortunately because of the size, only able to ship to the contiguous US.

The prize is one of these, from a 60-year-old bike shop that went out of business
View attachment 99351
Wow, what a cool prize!

Cool prize, and very fitting for this build off Ed! Hey, maybe with my recent entry of 'Helen Wheels' in Class 1, I might win it!:D

Has anyone given any more thought of contributions to the prize pool?
I'll be offering some cool item for 5th place as usual (my Flexy 5th place prize). I'll also see what else I can through in for a fun category or for one of the top places. Just wanted to jumpstart the thread

This year, The OddJob Award will have a new twist ! It will still be given out for bikes, which have a combination of real and faux-tina, and epitomize the rat rod bicycle in my own weird rat-ionalizations.

Instead of my previous award of the Weird-Ohs ad from the 1964 March edition of Hot Rod Magazine, each recipient will receive a custom rat - ina "RaT oN~! " magnet produced with RaT-iculous care in the BACK40 !

As with all our RaT RoDs, a common household item was used as the basis for this award; RaT-ified for your RaT-isfaction!

Each award is unique, just as each winning build is uniquely designed. RaT oN~!

67883327_444477359476436_3280377346443444224_n.jpg

67388140_1286430214850991_8937952424740519936_n.jpg

68330059_2369146103338277_861565951336775680_n (1).jpg

67411710_356469721911784_2212010648244584448_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back