1. Photobucket recently update their Terms of Use and are now requiring a $399/year membership fee in order to share the photos that you host with them on other websites. If you use Photobucket to host your photos and are using a FREE account, none of your photos will show up on other websites. Please upload your photos directly to the forum here and no longer use Photobucket. Click here to follow the discussion topic...
    Dismiss Notice

RRBBO Black Saab Rat

Discussion in 'BUILD OFF 1 BIKES' started by Easy Skywalker, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Easy Skywalker

Easy Skywalker

Hi everybody,

I'm quite new to this site (been looking at all your cool bikes for a few weeks), and I thought i'd go straight for the build-off ; )
    I wanted to get started on a bike for some time, but I also have to work on the 70's choppers of my sons (8 and 6 years old).
    So I don't know if I'll be finishing in time, but it's a way to get some work done, otherwise we won't be cruising when the weather improves in the coming months...
    Eh, here it is, I cleaned most of the rust and mud off and some of the chrome that was left...
    [​IMG]

2. Easy Skywalker

Easy Skywalker

Did some spraypainting this afternoon. I wanted to glue Saab-logo's to the side, but there isn't a lot of room. Perhaps I should make some kind of fueltankthing...
    [​IMG]

3. Clothespin n

Clothespin n

welcome aboard Easy Skywalker..
    that's a nice start.I like the Frame style/geometry.

and the Spray booth! :lol:
    are you the only guy in the Netherlands with a "Tiki Lounge" patio? :lol:
    I love the Bamboo walls on your deck!

looking good,
    peace,
    Kev.

4. Easy Skywalker

Easy Skywalker

Thanks!
    The Tiki-style 'happened' because the shed was to ugly to look at and to old to paint. But I did want to put up some old surfboards ; )

5. Hooch

Hooch

oh cool a saab! my folks had a 1969 Saab it had bosch fuel injection and 4 wheel disk brakes and one of the best factory paint jobs I have ever seen
    it would go thru snow better than any car or 4wd truck around! smooth belly pan underneath and front wheel drive
    I think there were like only a dozen Saab's in the whole state of Iowa at the time

6. Easy Skywalker

Easy Skywalker

Yeah, they're awesome! Sadly my bike's not gonna have diskbrakes or a good paintjob LOL. But I found two logo-thingies up in the attic this afternoon from one of my old Saabs and thought they'd be nice on my ratrod...

7. Easy Skywalker

Easy Skywalker

Since it's too rainy to work outside, I did some indoor tinkering.
    I want to use the fork of an old Jawa moped, and the org. headlight attached to it. There's not gonna be 12 volts on the rat, so I put a battery-powered LED-bike-light into the headlight this afternoon.
    Some soldering, glue and tape, and the headlight works! (But it's not very bright, perhaps I need new batteries...)
    [​IMG]

8. Easy Skywalker

Easy Skywalker

It's been raining for months (it seems), so no luck of putting the bike together to see what I have so far. Instead I thought I'd see what to do about the fuel-tank /logo-thing. A tank would be too much, so I'm going for a small, yeah what?, thing ; ), between the tubes...
    [​IMG]

9. Easy Skywalker

Easy Skywalker

Decided to make the fuel-tank-thing a bit bigger (more like a real tank).
    Cut out the cardboard, cut out the sheetmetal, ruined my paintjob, had my buddy weld it to the frame : )
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Easy Skywalker

Easy Skywalker

And the sun was shining yesterday, so I put the bike 'together' to see what I've got so far. Bought the sissybar last summer. Wanted a shorter one, but there's not a lot of choice in parts overhere. (I could have ordered one, but I had no patience ; )) The bananaseat came from my youngest sons chopper (repaired his original seat). I wanted cruiser-style handlebars, but I think the high moped ones might be better.
    [​IMG]

11. Clothespin n

Clothespin n

WOW!
    slow down..we still have time left in the build
    and you have already finished...and
    burned the tires off of yours! :lol: :lol:

The Mock up looks good.
    The tank look killer!
    I like the wide forks.
    I love the frame style!

You better watch out..I see a guy in the picture there trying to steal it!
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

peace,
    Kev.

12. Easy Skywalker

Easy Skywalker

LOL!

The 'guy' trying to steal it is my wife, I asked her to hold the handlebars, but she doesn't want her picture taken: )

There's still plenty of work on the bike. Thanks, Kev.

13. outsider13

outsider13

saab rat...cool

those are some really cool ideas , moped forks!.. [I'll be searching the motorcycle dumps, shortly] youre build will defenitely be up there, iff finished in time :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:!: imagin the volume of info, iff some one were to index all these great ideas :shock: ..... :idea: through out this site

14. cman

cman Moderator

Are the moped forks much heavier than a bike fork? Coming together nicely.

15. Rat Rod

Rat Rod Owner & Founder Head Honcho Moderator

LOL! :lol:

16. Easy Skywalker

Easy Skywalker

Thanks for the comments, guys!
    Hope the moped-f o r k works out, looks okay so far... It's a bit heavier than a normal f o r k, I hope it turns good. If not, I've got an old ATB f o r k for spare.
    [​IMG]

Máááán, you can't write f o r k or f u e l t a n k , it's all flip,flip,flip, what the #@&*?! :x :lol:

17. ricksterr1221

ricksterr1221

What the F O R K? :lol: Yeah it took me like 5 minutes to see "the guy" trying too steak your bike. Boy im slow.

18. Easy Skywalker

Easy Skywalker

19. Easy Skywalker

Easy Skywalker

Did some small detail work this morning. Saw nice dice valve caps on the net, and thought: I can do this myself with old dice!
    Drilled a hole (through the 1), made a flip hot and flipped it, while turning into the dice. Works!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. Easy Skywalker

Easy Skywalker

After making the valvecap-dice, I tried to fit the bearings of the moped-forq into the frame...they were too big (see picture). Tried the bearings of the ATB-forq I got on spare: way too big, forq doesn't even fit the tube, so no ATB-forq on spare. Luckily I found bearings in my bike-trash-crate that would fit! And they're in a cup-holder-thingy, so that's even easier when putting it all together.
    [​IMG]