Round town Klunkin' .....2/12 rear wheel built

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I wouldn't necessarily call this a klunker, but it is 'inspired by' that style of build. Most notably, will be slick tires as opposed to knobbies. As most my riding is around town, and by the beach, I want function.

So, awhile ago I picked up this wheel..
image1 (18).JPG

Thought the free wheel was cool with the wide range of gearing, and skippy lows.

But, mostly the drum
image2 (12).JPG

At the time, I didn't have a frame spaced for 5 speed, and didn't want to cold set one, so I hung the wheel up.
Then this fell in my lap. I bought a few bikes off of a cool guy locally, and this 80's Schwinn frame was hanging in his garage. A week later, he called my to come and take it for free. Stoked!

image3 (10).JPG

Already properly spaced, and with the braze ons to run the derailleur cable.

Here's most of what I have gathered for the build--

image4 (6).JPG

Schwinn fork, correct for this era frame. Resist Nomad skin wall tires 26 x 2.25. Worksman aluminum hoops from @ind-chuckz . Front drum hub to match the rear from @kirk . Double clamp stem from @rrtbike . '84 stamped brake levers from @thebigorangecat . Brooks b67 saddle. Tuf neck style clamp. layback post (not sure which yet, but prob the mr. tick with cross brace). Oury moto style grips.

For the drive train, I still haven't made up my mind. All I know for sure is i'm going to run a 3/32 44T Shimano ring I have and some black 'bear trap' pedals (not pictured)
My options are one piece with either a GT or Tioga spider, or Cooks three piece I got from @Smoopy's

image5 (6).JPG

The cooks crank is a little 'later' then most of what I'm using, so they might go back on the shelf for a single speed mountain build I got in mind. We'll see. I have some suginos somewhere too that might fit the bill.

Then I'm with the dilemma of bar choice. Bars are kinda one of my favorite thing on bikes, and can really make or break a bike to me. These are the options I've got so far. I'll probably try them all before landing on one. the bottom ones with the curved cross bar are the stand outs for me so far. But I really like the renthols with the black cross bar too. We'll see

image6 (3).JPG

(the shifter I will be using is on the suntour one on the second to bottom bar.

Also not pictured are the nipples, and washers to run the 12g spokes/nips in the 11g drilled hoops.

All I need is Spokes (which I've already measured for) and a rear derailleur. And to paint the frame, which I usually don't do..

I've been collecting parts for this for about a year. I've never done a build thread and thought it might get the ball rolling on assembly for me.

Attachments

• image5 (6).JPG
    image5 (6).JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 180
Thanks everyone!

All I've done since the last pic is a little more painting. As I said before, I usually don't, and prefer not to paint. They're only original once. Plus, when I have super perfect paint, I get anxious about messing it up. Since this frame was already spray bombed, I don't mind messing with it. And I think I have an idea I can live with getting scratched up.

Last edited:
So there are still a few things I need to find/ acquire to get this all goin. Dug the rear derailleur out today. A long cage Shimano Tourney. I'm hoping that with the 44t chain ring, and the 34t or so low on the freewheel, this will be the ticket. I still need frame clips for the cables. I have some, but they're kind of deep in the parts stash, and I'll still need more then the couple I've got. Couple other little things. At the moment, I'm waiting for paint to dry and to take a couple parts to a friends house to bead blast.

image1 (20).JPG

Last edited:
So still waiting on a few things for this one. And as I do, my wheels get turning on other ideas.

I picked this Emory up a few weeks back--

image1 (23).JPG

Kinda close to as found. I put the bars and Mesinger Saddle on.

Its a good rider, and I like it like this, but I'd seen some pretty rad builds on this frame with a lil more bmx influence. So, I started lookin through my piles.

image2 (15).JPG

Had a nice Akisu tubular fork.. most importantly, crown race was already on..

image5 (7).JPG

Keihin snow flake chain ring, GT 175 crank arms, and some bear trap pedals

image6 (5).JPG

Had an araya 7x (1.5) laced to a joytech hub in the shed.

image4 (7).JPG

GT inverted stem

image3 (13).JPG

Had an Araya 7x (1.75) hoop, and a Bendix mexico hub. Got lucky and had the propper size spoke in my stash. And a box of DT swiss nips.

image7 (1).JPG

Had cruiser bars laying around (previously not pictured)
image8 (1).JPG

Handlebars and saddle might change. I have a few options kickin round.

So, ran into a small, but easy to fix issue. The Front hub I want to use is drilled for 14G spokes, not 12G. So I either get to drill out the hub I wanna use, or use this other front drum I have. Leaning towards the drilling, although I've never done it.
image1 (26).JPG

(left is the one I want to use)

Also, i happened upon a NOS suntour GT that i think might make the cut--
image2 (18).JPG

And I finally found some cable guides that suit my needs. Figure I need two, running two cables on the down tube, and one on the chain stay for the drum. I wanted metal ones, but turns out they're not as common or inexpensive as I thought. These will work fine.
image3 (16).JPG

I was also able to use my friends bead blaster and blast the brake levers, and rear hub shell. (forgot 'after' pics). Moving a little slow on this one, but I'm in no rush.

Side note, on mobile my pics show correct, but laptop, sideways.

So, got the frame clear coated. But want to do another coat or two and some slight wet sanding.

Landed on what crank to use-
69D3FE70-6AF3-4B89-95EA-20DD16A23C8B.jpeg

Only issue was, these have a 130 bcd. As opposed to the 110 ring I intended on using. And I didn’t have any 44t on hand. Took a few weeks, but I came across a 44t at a swap.
45A494B8-3CEE-4268-86C4-3CBDE51DB186.jpeg

Latest posts

Back