Rollfast Top Drag 100

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
TopDrag100.jpg
Just landed this relatively complete Rollfast Top Drag 100 last week at the Fall Carlisle swap meet. (thanks to roadwarrior for the pic)

This is the coaster brake version "little brother" to the Top Drag 200 (20 x 16) and Top Drag 600 (24 x 16). The original purple paint is visible under the rattle can blue repaint. So far I have not found ANY pics of an actual bike, only a copy of the Rollfast sales brochure. From what I can tell, it would have had a drag brake and the chainguard and front fender would be the same as on my Top Drag 600. The seat on there now is a Schwinn Stingray one, but it probably came with a Troxel of some kind.

Anyone out there have more info on this bike? Or maybe a chainguard or front fender? I'll post pics of those shortly.

This bike needs to be saved!

-Dan

Last edited:
VERY cool VERY rare bike. That might be the only Top Drag 100 I have ever seen. I remember someone finding the Hawthorne version a few years ago, I think that one doesn't have the shifter though, just a coaster.

Awesome find! Congrats!

GREAT find ! ... makes me sad I missed Carlisle ( for the first time in years ).
I think I have a guard for that, would have to dig out and see how nice it is, lmk.

Use goof off super graffiti remover on a soft rag. Hold it on the paint for about ten seconds and wipe it off. Works amazing but it will remove decals too...

Found a front fender, but it's not in the greatest shape. Has rust, dings etc.

20151121_201914.jpg 20151121_201923.jpg

Also found a guard, though I had to buy a whole bike to get it.

Actually, I have picked up 4 other bikes to use for various parts and I have a drag brake too. (thanks Rob!)

The coolest update is that I got the chainguard decal made. I found some great pics of an original Top Drag 200 guard, and used that for the overall design. Then I had all 3 versions done - 100, 200 and 600. Here is a pic of the 600 I put on my other Top Drag.

20151121_200952.jpg
Bruce is a genius!

I could use a better front fender, and I'll also need a silver glitter Troxel seat. If you can help with either one, please LMK.

Glad you found a guard - sorry to take so long getting back at you . What troxel seat does that use ? the 'deep tuft' molded one ?

Glad you found a guard - sorry to take so long getting back at you . What troxel seat does that use ? the 'deep tuft' molded one ?
I could use another guard if you still think you might have one. I bought several bikes and I could get at least one other one put back together. They aren't top drags, but they are still pretty cool.

I'm not sure exactly what seat this is supposed to have. The pic in the catalog is sort of a cartoon, and none of the other models seem to have come with this seat. Rollfast used so many different ones that year! Plus I still can't find even a pic of another one of these bikes for reference. Maybe this all leaves it a bit more open for interpretation. :wink1: Right now I don't have any seat, so I'd probably consider just about any Troxel that's silver glitter.

You have to like when your bike is so rare there aren't pictures of any others on the interwebz :smug:

I think he needs a vinyl cover seat Green Dragon, I think those rubber cover deep tufted ones are from the mid to late 70's, after this bike was built.

14223644603_f3e33cda80.jpg

Noy my pic, one I have is like this but silver. NOS with some shelfwear, bought a couple from a guy for my not-yet-started Dilly clone project.

Here is a pic from the catalog of it. Great Score!!

Thanks Jaxon! I have that catalog but the pics are more like drawings so some of the details are difficult to see. For example, the seat appears to be a silver glitter vinyl (not rubber) Troxel but it's really hard to tell. The seat is still on my shopping list.

One other detail that is proving to be a bit tricky is that sissy bar. I haven't been able to find a pic of one of those either. If anyone knows where I can get one, or even a pic of one at this point, that would be a huge help.

That sissy bar is similar to the ones used on the Murray F-5 Streeter bikes. I believe those are made by Troxel. The Streeter versions are 36", but the design is the same, there is a black tube with a spring in it for the suspension.

The Streeter versions are difficult to find in any condition, I am betting this one will be a tough find too. One will pop up though, stuff always does eventually!

Had decent luck so far finding some parts. Got bored the other day and threw it together very quickly to get an idea of how it will look:

TD100Mockup01.JPG
The shifter knob is still in a box somewhere here.

I have the correct sprocket too, just waiting to tear it down for paint removal so I didn't get that on there.

The sissy bar is very similar to what I need, but the correct one has the black spring tubes on it. If anyone has a lead on one like in the pic of the Streeter above, PLEASE LMK. I would even take the taller version at this point.

I could also still use a better front fender, and a front redline tire too.

Has anyone here EVER seen another one of these? I can't find any pics of other examples. Please ask your friends - I need info on this cool bike!

-Dan

TopDrag100.jpg

Spent a little time getting the Top Drag put together with the original parts I've rounded up so far. It's really coming together!

I could still use a few parts to make it complete / nicer:

Front fender
Back rim
Sissy bar with springs (like on the Streeter above) any condition as long as the springs and tubes are there.

If anyone has one of those sissy bars with the black spring tubes, I'd like to see what it looks like inside. I may take a crack at reproducing that since it's proving pretty hard to find.

Might be a while before I tackle removing the blue paint, but at least it's looking pretty good so far.

Latest posts

Back