Rohloff on a Pedelec???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, guys, this is technically not a "how to" question. I have a friend who would like to build (have built by me or other more capable folks) an e-bike. The base is Specialized demo, the donor bike has a Bosch midmotor and a Rohloff IGH.
So I was thinking, isn't this combination an overkill? I myself ride on 250W with a 7sp Nexus and the chainring-cog ratio is 44/19, I could probably climb trees in 1st gear, I top around 30 kmh in 7th. I was actually happy with a 3sp IGH until I had to commute through few inclines where I lacked the torquue, so I changed to 7 sp.
So is a Rohloff hub really needed for this? It is cool and all (the Rolls Royce of IGH they say), but wouldn't it complicate the build?
I myself would sell the hub and the motor (before ruining the Specialized frame to weld motor mounts) and would put a BBS which would be easy to replace/repair instead of the expensive Bosch motor, plus I'd use a (relatively cheap) Shimano hub that could have the innards easily replaced.
And if the Bosch/Rohloff makes sense I would rather prefer a custom frame since the Specialized is not of particularily battery friendly design.
So, what are your thoughts? I must say my friend is a pretty good rider, but technically not particularily proficient, he can changes tires and set deraillers, but that's it basically. I myself don't have any experience with Bosch (except for changing bulbs on my 30 year old Mercedes) or Rohloff.

I agree with your alternatives. Those are some big money items he's got, there, but I agree it would be overkill for me. What about a Nuvinci? I've never used one, but heard good things about them. I assume he'll be running 250W? I can't imagine that would be a problem with too much power and he could sell the Rohloff, buy the Nuvinci, and pocket some money. With the frame he's using, I imagine he's doing this to make climbing while mountain biking less of a strain, but if he wants it for general lighter duty riding, I'd save the Specialized for mountain biking and get some kind of comfortable frame for the electric conversion (I'm partial to early chromoly hybrids because they're cheap, versatile, comfortable, fairly light, strong, not terribly attractive to thieves, and decently quick even though it's a very rare race they'd win).

Latest posts

Back