RRBBO13 Rocketman

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wasn't going to enter anything but have to try and not finish last in this build off in the voting :D

Don't have any welding skills or equipment to try but should manage.

Picked this Ross? Coast King? frame along with a fastback Speedster about a month ago. Love the space age frames so this will be dubbed "Rocketman"

I started the build about a week or two ago, just haven't logged anything yet so I'll backtrack below. I love polished Spaceliners so a bare frame and some clearcoat on this wanna-be is in order. *The paint is chunky and sticky, it's like touching tar when you pick it up it just wants to melt and stick to your hands...

VMs4Zzil.jpg

sXnXWBll.jpg

oRKLDWql.jpg

An unofficial endorsement: saw a thread on here about different paint stripping methods and someone recommended the Citristrip. No fumes and worked rather well on this, I'd recommend it on the right bike if you're not into the whole toxic fume thing. I will say though working on the bike my gloves got wet and it killed the skin on my hands...

Was a bit of trial and error with the paint removal on what worked best. Of course the citristrip coated on there with a brush was step 1. I let it sit anywhere from 10-15 minutes and than used a few methods after. First I went in with the razor and got the heavy paint off. Once the heavy layer came off there was a mix of a brass wire brush and the Scotch-brite pads. I used a block sander on the really heavy stuff as well. Took quite a few hours all and all to get it completely bare. The end result came better than anticipated. I got 99% of the paint off and uncovered a really sweet patina.

Here's the tank pre-clearcoat

30yzhzjl.jpg

Welcome to fun!!
Love those Coast King frames and think the concept of a bare metal liner wannabe is cool.

Taking it up a notch while 'taking it down' !

The brazing will look cool in it's natural state.

Welcome ...and ... RaT oN~!

oRKLDWql.jpg

An unofficial endorsement: saw a thread on here about different paint stripping methods and someone recommended the Citristrip. No fumes and worked rather well on this, I'd recommend it on the right bike if you're not into the whole toxic fume thing. I will say though working on the bike my gloves got wet and it killed the skin on my hands...
Love the frame. What do you mean killed your hands skin peeling? What kind of gloves did you wear? I am looking for a better way of stripping paint.

Love the frame. What do you mean killed your hands skin peeling? What kind of gloves did you wear? I am looking for a better way of stripping paint.

It was great as far as not dealing with fumes. I was using some thin gloves with a rubber bottom and think that it just seeped through. My hands were peeling for a good week it was annoying. I'd probably try latex the next time around

Love that frame and tank. I'll be watching

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Quick mock up. Got the wheels and tires from the attic of the shop I used to work at. The front was off of a Trek 830 mountain bike and god knows how long (and why) the rear was up there. Tires were up there too, nice thrifty find

I cleaned the crank up when I did the bars, don't have any photos of that before and during but will be installed shortly. Going to mock up the tank as well, got some cool decals for that and may have even found the front housing that I'll rig some LED's in eventually. Have another thrifty find in the saddle to put on as well...stay tuned.

ADT6ns2l.jpg

Last edited:
That is a great looking ride so far!

Latest posts

Back