Rockafella - 1953 Ruff Firestone Super Cruiser - Completed Ride Video +MajorAward+RollingStoneCover

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It reminds me of a Harley Sportster tank and that green will tie in with the chain guard.

We both have extra wide tanks!

Yeah, that is what it reminded me off when I first had the idea to flare it at the front section.
I'm still not sure on frame color or tank panel color. If I stick with bare metal on the frame, I may leave the tank panel bare as well. Who knows.

MO FATTA
MO TANKA

Made some adjustments with some spacers and determined final placement for the tank. Captured some measurements, then I rigged up a jig on the bottom of the tank to hold every thing in place while I created the center panel.

View attachment 56080 View attachment 56081 View attachment 56082 View attachment 56083 View attachment 56084 View attachment 56085 View attachment 56086
You borrow Queenfish's Mary Poppins' umbrella to elevate for that first shot?!? That's up in the air dude!

You borrow Queenfish's Mary Poppins' umbrella to elevate for that first shot?!? That's up in the air dude!

I took that from the spiral staircase that leads from our 2nd floor porch down to the courtyard

I really like the bare metal frame. It blends in very well with the patina of the vintage parts. The gold would be too much I think.
The green tank insert on the other hand seems to me the best variation so far...

Gesendet von meinem K00E mit Tapatalk

You know I like the bare metal too...
But the gold idea is good. Have you ever used Rub n' Buff? It's a craft paint in a tube used to highlight crevices or textures. Playing around with that stuff led me to weathering with simple craft paints. I haven't done much on bikes, OddJob seems to have carved that niche out here, but I could see using a turquoise n' copper combo rubbed into the joints to pull the colors out of the bike and blend the newer parts in. It's a classic combo used often to create a faux metal patina, and it'd be perfect palette wise on the Rockafella, bare metal or gold.

Carl.

Carl's got some ideas meriting a trial 'rub' on some raw steel. Maybe an old frame or fork you could test some recipes on?

The other thing I was thinking was, do your Jade, then try 'subduing the color' by using Rustoleum's Satin Strawflower (a very muted yellow shade, almost bone color) or the Fossil (really muted shade of green) which I used last year on One-Liner.

It's a very light dusting, sprayed from about 3-4' away, and not full coverage. And as always, 'stop before you think you are done'. What it does is mute the original color so it's not as deep, like it's been fading in the sun for a few decades.

If you want to add some rust-ification, the ol' Rustoleum Multi-color Texture paint, in your color scheme, probably the lighter brown, around the welds and tops of the frame tubes can add that quality. Then rub down lightly with steel wool or leave nubbly, whatever feel / look you prefer.

I still really haven't decided on the frame treatment yet. I'm gonna wait until I finish getting the tank completed and the guard mounted and then I be able to see the big picture better. I'm also holding off on any tank panel treatment until then.

really liking the newer frame and old parts :thumbsup:but still makes me want to put a plate on the seat for a picnic :p

LOL! I'll bring the burgers and you can bring the marshmallows :)

Painted a test paper panel with some gumby green. I'm definitely gonna paint the actual center panel of the tank. It really mimics the chainguard and ties the color in more.

20170717_183523.jpg
20170717_183529.jpg
20170717_183549.jpg
20170717_183559.jpg
20170717_183617.jpg
20170717_183630.jpg
20170717_183641.jpg
20170717_183658.jpg

That is going to look "purdy".

That green it a pretty good match, probably what the fender paint looked like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think all it will need once it is on metal is just a little darkening and dirtying. Shouldn't take much. It's "Jade Green" from Rustoleum

This build is starting to
take shape . Love this bike it just needs some of them KF small details to
Put it over the top .

Love how you got the big fat tires tucked in them fenders. Frame looks good as is but some dark touches might make the rest of it pop? Make it more like a motorcycle frame.

Dig the pattern on the seat but the scale and style of it seem a bit dainty on this beast.

There's my 2 pennies. Let's get this baby wrapped up only 3 weeks left!...:bigboss:

Tank is looking sweet...:thumbsup:

I've never really like this frame style, but man your build has me me a fan :thumbsup:.

This build is starting to
take shape . Love this bike it just needs some of them KF small details to
Put it over the top .

Thanks man. I'm looking forward to playing around with some of those details. I'm slowly making progress on the basics. After the tank is done. I'll be able to move forward faster.

This is beginning to look like a bike I want in my collection.
And I'm trying to get rid of my collection.

Now that's a cool compliment! Thanks brother!

Love how you got the big fat tires tucked in them fenders. Frame looks good as is but some dark touches might make the rest of it pop? Make it more like a motorcycle frame.

Dig the pattern on the seat but the scale and style of it seem a bit dainty on this beast.

There's my 2 pennies. Let's get this baby wrapped up only 3 weeks left!...:bigboss:

Tank is looking sweet...:thumbsup:

Yeah' I couldn't be happier with how well the fat wheels, fat tires, and fat fenders play with each other.

Still waiting until I get the tank complete and the guard mounted before I decide on the frame.

The seat may look a little small, but it's normal sized. Both the seat and the mini-sissy have really grown on me alot for this build.

It will definitely be completed by the deadline. Even though a lot of biz and rental work is in store between now and then, I know I can finish it.

I've never really like this frame style, but man your build has me me a fan :thumbsup:.

I never thought I would build on a frame like this, but after I rode with the Custom Brigade in Paris and have been paying more attention to the Euro builds, I've wanted to mix the old stuff we love here on RRB with this newer style frame. I'm beyond happy with the results so far.

Got the Rockafella tank notched in to fit over the top bar with the new panel skin.

20170721_095646.jpg
20170721_095735.jpg
20170721_095819.jpg
20170721_095826.jpg
20170721_095953.jpg

After fitting the notched tank, I could have left the underside of the tank open, but instead I built a bottom panel as well. I still have a little bit of tweaking before it fits completely right, and I will screw down the front of the top panel to the front of the bottom panel for a cleaner look. It's a bit of a process to mount the tank, secure it, then slide the bottom panel on and secure it.

20170721_102058.jpg
20170721_190626.jpg
20170721_190636.jpg
20170721_190644.jpg
20170721_193435.jpg
20170721_193602.jpg
20170721_194412.jpg

Latest posts

Back