Rock Shox Quadra rebuild CHEAP - done

Discussion in 'HOW TO' started by Indyjps, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Indyjps

Indyjps

I have a 94 trek 930 with rock shox quadra 10 forks, theyre dead so its been sitting for some time. My buddys teen son was looking for a trail rider to keep at their cabin. Guess what pops up, '94 trek 930. Exact match to my bike with a bit smaller frame. It was meant to be. The rock shox on the second bike have a little life but not much.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  2. Indyjps

Indyjps

After watching videos on how to rebuild rock shox, the elastomers are what goes bad, other than corrosion and grit.

If youre not familiar, elastomers are 3/4" urethane bar stock. After pulling one out, Its a purple floppy solid rod 6" long. Thats for quadra rock shox, judy rock shox have stacks of shorter elastomers so you can tune the ride ( different design with tubular elastomers that slide over a rod and remove as a pack). Replacement elastomers are $55. WHOA.

I considered rigging some springs. But there no dampening, maybe a spring and rubber combo......

I started learning about PUR polyurethane specifications.

Screenshot_20190708-114045_Chrome.jpg

Found this handy little chart. Shore A spec (middle) is the one we'll look at. Shore A is the closest thing to durometer I can find for this material.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Chad T, wheelbender6 and RustyGold like this.
  3. Indyjps

Indyjps

Found this on amazon. $11 for 48" of 3/4 diameter shipped to my door.
    Screenshot_20190708-203033_Chrome.jpg

Amazon didnt know Shore A spec on the bar.
    I looked up the manufacturer, small parts inc, and by checking their manufactuer number againt some Shote A data they had. The Shore A is in the manufacturer number.
    Screenshot_20190708-203153_Chrome.jpg

horsefarmer and RustyGold like this.
  4. Indyjps

Indyjps

Gonna rebuild one of the rock shox with Shore A 60, PUR polyurethane bar in place of the elastomers. From the chart above, 70 is car tire rubber, 40 is pencil eraser.
    We'll see how it rides. If i dont like it I can move up or down durometer (shore A #) or cut the bar in half and go harder or softer to tune the suspension.

5. RustyGold

RustyGold

Definitely report back on this...I have a couple Girvin forks and Pro-flex frames that I was wanting to run elastomers on...but, I can always find something more interesting to spend $55 on than chunks of poly :grin:.

Jason

horsefarmer and Indyjps like this.
  6. HuffnPuff

HuffnPuff

That's great. I rescued some Manitou 2 forks a while back and spend the $75Au to get new rubbers. If I had known this ....

RustyGold and horsefarmer like this.
  7. Indyjps

Indyjps

Took some digging around to find the info....and its still untested. Rock Shox was not in the new plastic development world, had to be an off the shelf item.

Duchess and horsefarmer like this.
  8. Indyjps

Indyjps

Sorry about going absent. Bought a couple trucks at an asset auction, took a while to get them picked up.

Original elastomer is purple, New is yellow. New is a little larger diameter but fits in the tube and end caps fine. Seems to be the same durometer from finger nail test and finger bend test - not real scientific.
    Original was 6 1/16, cut the new material to 6 1/4, just cause it seemed like a good idea.
    20190715_191637.jpg 20190715_191637.jpg
    20190715_191716.jpg

I need to make a long 5mm hex extension before i can tear these down.
    Interested to see if adding length and new elastomer makes these ride well, i can always cut a 6 1/2 or 6 3/4 piece. Have plenty of material.

I can practice on friends kids bike fork rebuild since hes about 130 lbs, see how stiff they are and adjust for my fork rebuild to carry more....um...mass.

Dr. Tankenstein and RustyGold like this.
  9. RustyGold

RustyGold

10. Indyjps

Indyjps

20190811_164750.jpg
    Got a chance to finish this up today and ride.
    New PUR rod at 6 1/4 feels great. Took that inch or so of deadness out of the top of travel that rock shox get.
    Ill likely go 6 1/2 on mine for a little more stiffness.

The bike itself is great, looks like all original parts, everything cleaned up and tuned up well.
    Its a bit small for me, but brought back some memories.

Need to pull my trek 930 off the shelf and go thru it. Shox are figured out, the rest is wear.

RustyGold and Chad T like this.