Rock Shox fork help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I need to know what size headtube does a rock shox dart 1 fork fit into and how does it go togather? I have two that I am trying to turn into chopper forks.

It takes a threadless headset and is 1 1/8" steertube. Probably will not fit into older frame easily. The bmx guys have figureed out how to but requires spare headset parts and some ingenuity.

Re: RST shocks

The brand is not a rock shox it is an Rst. I wanted to know the length of the head tube it uses, how do you going about assembling it and what handlebar stem would fit inside? These shocks came off a 26" wheel size mountian bike i pulled off the curb. It is not a threadless headset. I Can't find a head tube or stem to fit. Please help.

On a threadless fork that uses a threadless headset you don' t insert the stem down the steertube. It clamps on the out side and hold the fork on the bike. The length of the steertube depends on what bike you took this off of. This fork will probably only fit newer frames

Read up on threadless headset here
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65

Ok, it's not normal for an RST fork to not be threadless but since you say it has threads at the top, then a 22.2 mm (or 1") stem should fit. Older bikes will use a 21.1mm stem but newer ones that are still using a threaded headset will use a 1"/22.2mm. All the Huffys that I have that are relatively new(80s and newer), use the 22.2mm stem. I do have one older Huffy (mid-70's?) and a Montgomery Wards diamond frame (also mid 70's)that uses the smaller 21.1 stem size.
From my limited experiance, I have found that most threadless forks will be 1 1/8" and most threaded will be 1"/22.2mm.
Hope this helps.

cman said:
It takes a threadless headset and is 1 1/8" steertube. Probably will not fit into older frame easily. The bmx guys have figureed out how to but requires spare headset parts and some ingenuity.

Do you have any links on the subject? Any one got a link to read on this please? Thanks! :)

rst aftermarket forks are sold seperately as 2 parts- the suspension fork part and the steerer tube part. your lbs may be able to order whatever steerer tube you want for your project......

just to throw a spanner in the works, there is also a 11/8 threaded steerer tube too,

the only time i have ever seen these however are on modern low end "mtbs"

snfargle said:
just to throw a spanner in the works, there is also a 11/8 threaded steerer tube too,

the only time i have ever seen these however are on modern low end "mtbs"

far from freakish, 1 1/8 threaded was the norm on early 90's mtbs and is still found on bikes like trek's wildly popular 'navigator' series of comfort bikes. :)

Latest posts

Back