ROCK BOTTOM RAT - DONE !!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ROCK BOTTOM RAT - UPDATE 6/18

Thanks - The taking apart and relacing took a good deal of the day but the weather was nice, had the radio cranking and learned how to lace a wheel. Hopefully I did everything correct. I love the look of the sweeheart skiptooth sprocket and am glad to keep it on the bike it came from.

Re: ROCK BOTTOM RAT - Slow progress

Got a few more parts brought down to bare metal. The sprocket came out nice. The chain guard has holes rusted through but I thought it looked cool so I am going with a painted beat up look. The handle bars were very pitted so I have red putty on themand they will be painted cream.
100_4508.jpg

100_4509.jpg

100_4510.jpg

100_4513.jpg

100_4515.jpg

I am also going to try the led flashlight conversion on this old light
100_4482.jpg

Hopt to get more done tomorrow. :mrgreen:

Re: ROCK BOTTOM RAT - UPDATE 6/18

Lots of tedious work but got the headlight together. Thanks to all the people that have posted step-by-step instructions on how to fit an old headlight with an LED flashlight.
100_4482.jpg

100_4518.jpg

100_4520.jpg

100_4522.jpg

Also tackled the chainguard. It has rust holes in it but I think that will look cool.
100_4507-1.jpg

100_4509-1.jpg

100_4513-1.jpg

100_4514.jpg

After lots of masking this is what I have.
100_4526.jpg

Re: ROCK BOTTOM RAT-UPDATE 6/27 Light&Chainguard

Super job on the light!
I really like the color scheme!!
Great masking on the guard. That baby looks sweet!!

Thanks !!! The bike is coming together but the more I do the more the bike evolves. It has taken on a life of its own. Next I will tackle the rear fender - the only one that survived the rust.

bebopblu said:
Thanks !!! The bike is coming together but the more I do the more the bike evolves. It has taken on a life of its own. Next I will tackle the rear fender - the only one that survived the rust.

I love that about custom bike builds. It's fun to go back later and look at what your original idea was and what it became.

Peatbog said:
That light looks cool--gives me ideas for the rusty, busted lights I have lying around.
Thanks - This was the first light I did and was surprised as to how much I enjoyed building this light. I have 2 more old rusty ones around and am already thinking about which bikes to put them on :lol:

Starting to get this beast rolling. First time lacing wheels and by following step-by step instructions online , it really was not that bad. I used some old 26x 1.75 rims from a middleweight Schwinn. I then put in a rear skiptooth hub and old Schwinn front hub I got online. Put some old tires 26x2.125 I had from a another straight bar Schwinn. I am happy with the way the chainguard came out. I will take closeups so you can see the rust pinholes still in it. The metal is very rough but I like the look. The handle bars were very rusted so I primed and used body putty but they still have just the right amount of pitting to match the rest of the bike ! I am going to adjust the headlight bracket to bring it lower and closer to the bike. Right now the rear fender is soaking in oxalic acid. Hope to take first test ride in about a week.
BEFORE
100_4315-1.jpg

TODAY
100_4549.jpg

100_4547.jpg

100_4538.jpg

Re: ROCK BOTTOM RAT-UPDATE 6/29 More Mocking :)

What a transformation! Looks Great. :mrgreen:

Great transformation! :D That's a nice looking bike :wink:

YO!! YA KIDDING RIGHT?!? THIS BIKE IS FREAKIN' AMAZING!!

What a beauty!

bebopblu said:
First time lacing wheels and by following step-by step instructions online , it really was not that bad.
100_4549.jpg

Your bike is looking really sharp! The whitewalls and white scheme/accents really make it pop 8)

Which online instructions did you follow?
I've been getting caught up in the details of finding the right spoke diameter

Thanks very much for the kind words :lol: I dont think the photos are bringing out the true colors. The light color is a rustolium called Ivory Silk in satin I was going for a vintage cream color. The dark color is red oxide primer. When I put matte clear coat on, the red primer took on a more brownish red color. The seat is an old white one so kinda looks like the rest of the bike. Still not sure if I am happy with the seat but every other color didnt look right. More to come - thanks again

Back