RoadMaster Diesel: Build Completed! + a few extra pics!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: RoadMaster Diesel: Better mock-up (pg. 3)

i like the black wheels too but i say leave the sprocket and crank

no extra black.

the black wheels make the tires look smaller. I would leave them white. the black seems to me to take away from the frame as well. Can't explain it. Just my eye I guess.

all the versions look good. I know, I'm a big help.

One more version, the *Photoshopped all-blackout version (decided to leave the stem though):
3724094191_ac0e4bc0b4_b.jpg

Still can't decided whether or not to paint stuff black, but leaning towards Not doing it.

I think I need to sleep on this for a couple of days. Just one decision but it determines the whole look of the bike.

I appreciate everyone's feedback so far, Thanks.

I appreciate all the feedback, from everywhere I got it. I even asked some fellow designers at work what their designer eye told them. And after careful consideration (and a lot of staring at the bicycle and the photoshop mock-ups), I have come to a decision on the whole rim paint/color dilemma.

I think Skip's point was very valid that the black rims make the tires look smaller. On the white rims, they look freakin huge. But I also agree with some folk's opinion about the need for more contrast. However, I also feel that the smaller contrast of black rims with cream tires takes away from the larger contrast of all-whitish wheels with a mostly red/black bike.

In an effort to tie the wheels into the rest of the bike, I am going to add thin black pinstripes around the inside of the rims, much like they originally had. In fact, if I did it right, I might be able to bring out the original pinstripes (you can barely make them out under the white housepaint).

3518773885_bc12f44b88.jpg

Again, thanks for the replies and opinions. See y'all at the finish line ;)

rock on that would look good too adding the stripes to the wheels but have you ever done it before? not an easy job and i hope those wheels are somewhat straight. just go slow and watch to make sure the line is in about the same place while going around. but most important when you get to the last 1/4 pay real close attention to where your going to end up (where you started) so you stay somewhat on track and if you find your off track with the last 1/4 to go you can cheat it by moving the line in or out over a more broad area so it is not as obvious. good luck the bike is killer

Re: RoadMaster Diesel: Update 7/27

spent some time on it this weekend in between doing a lot of work on another bike I am selling this week...

Anyway, this is the seat post I was going to use, but with one obvious problem:
3761544082_349ffab0e1.jpg

apparently made for a much bigger seat tube. Someone else need this? I'll sell it real cheap.

So, realizing that I had to come up with something else to get the seat position I wanted, but not having any welding ability myself, I got in touch with our good friend Bob, AKA BigPantsBob.
We hung out one Sunday, he welded this piece of 5/8 steel rod to the original seatpost, and cut up a little gusset for it too. Quality work, I bought him lunch in appreciation. Thanks again Bob.
3761544636_e4efb287a5_b.jpg

It's solid, I think it will hold up great.

I just wanted to note one small detail before it was obscured by the seat:
3760744783_7629e27753_b.jpg

"500 Mile Race"... Little 500? maybe Minnphatts can tell me more about this?

Hub guts soaking:
3761545976_05eae8c217_b.jpg

New Departure model D
3760747231_ee3aa870b1_b.jpg

10 teeth should make for an easy ride. Depending on the sprocket.
Which leads me to the sprocket.

I thought about using this 26T sprocket I got from Ian. But I like my knees... I think I am too young to get knee replacement surgery already.
3760747871_b6c32173e7_b.jpg

I also thought about this little one, (maybe a sort "micro-drive"?), which I am actually giving to Ian:
3760748509_d23d22c3a6_b.jpg

I'd never get enough torque with this. Plus I think it takes a special chain.

This one is just right:
3760749189_329e89f086_b.jpg

22 teeth (equivalent to 44T on a regular sprocket). Should be an easy ride with the 10 tooth cog in the back.
This sprocket and crank came from the 30's Dayton in my grandparent's old barn. Had silver house paint on it, with good 70-year-old chrome underneath. Go figure.
I used the original bearings too, they cleaned up nice:
3760749953_0748c80d26_b.jpg

that's the tank nameplate, before securing it. The DIESEL came from a truck, I think. It was found on the ground when cruising through the self-serve car-wash late at night.
3761551218_f21776cb37_b.jpg

a couple of holes drilled in the JC Higgins tank (if you look closely you can sort of make out the Higgins logo under the black, someone did that and then clear-coated over it, long before I got it)
3761551786_7f82a3408a.jpg

there were no threads, so I just epoxied some nuts on the back.
The tank installed on the bike (just barely fits, but it's solid):
3761552400_30d3d667e4_b.jpg

Hoping to make some more progress through the week...

coming along nicely Joe. I dig it.

Looking good man. Is that ur apartman? Looks like a bike shop.. :mrgreen: LOVE IT.

Joey's away right now, he's on his 15th trip to Home Depot.

Re: RoadMaster Diesel: Update 7/31

gotta post this and then get to bed, it's morning for some but late night for me, I gotta work in 7 hours!

cleaned hub guts:
3774279835_838eb44aae_b.jpg

with un-cleaned hub guts for reference

Joe (yeshoney) taught me how to rebuild a Model D back when he helped me with my Luxury Liner.
Teach a man to fish, eh? Thanks again Joe!
3775084938_735fd71a38_b.jpg

It only goes back together one way... you'll know you did it wrong if it's not together yet.

So both hubs got fresh grease, and the Model D got a little bit of oil too.
3774281197_98273f900e_b.jpg

I couldn't resist cleaning up a little bit of the grime around the hub too.

Skiptooth chain soaking...
3774281843_a5d65e79e2_b.jpg

I got this chain from forum member Bicycleguy, for a VERY fair price :) Thanks again Bryan!

so I had an idea for a light. I got this 3-pack of cheap little LED touch-lamps at CVS a while back, and the other two are currently lighting my closet. I realized that the last one would probably fit in an old crusty light I had...
3774282459_d18b977e28_b.jpg

a little epoxy on the light's original base, the top just screws right on.
3775087592_3ac085f3a9_b.jpg

perfect fit!
3775087996_eba52e2311_b.jpg

So as with the wheels, I have been plagued with more indecision... to use the Headlight or not?
3775088706_86c40ba55e_b.jpg

on one hand, I kinda liked the clean front end... on the other, it almost feels a little naked, and there is a mount for a light built in to the fork... Going to sleep on this. Any input is welcome...

Re: RoadMaster Diesel: Update 7/31

Looking good, I'd definitely roll with the light. Those forks almost demand one.

Latest posts

Back