RoadMaster Diesel: Build Completed! + a few extra pics!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: RoadMaster Diesel: stuck.

Wow in 3 minutes of me posting...WOW... that is getting on it...lol

Re: RoadMaster Diesel: un-stuck.

Partial Mockup, just seeing how a few parts are going to fit together...
3700304565_0a4bb07672_b.jpg

3701116404_e39dd4a402_b.jpg

recently acquired this CWC "Shock-Master" fork from ern (Thanks again!), because it's steer tube was made for my ridiculously long headtube (and I love the way these forks ride), but it's actually a little too long, I think I need a spacer... or to trim the tube and re-thread it... but yeah, probably going with the spacer...
3701116944_3a12637d32_b.jpg

This is why we do mock-ups, also going to need to shave the stem to fit it farther down inside the tube.
3701117418_a813f9d6bc_b.jpg

sneak preview with half of the tank...

Re: RoadMaster Diesel: partial mock-up

I Just destroyed my firestone fork because the stem is frozen. I put a pipe wrench on the stem and twisted the headtube of the fork. :cry:

white wheels, definitly.

Joey,
for this to be the true alter-ego of mine, i think white wheels are the way to go.
plus, they look sweet.

upon review of my photo records, I realized that the bars actually came off of this bike:
2861169666_16edfffe49.jpg

I thought they had come off of this other skiptooth girl's bike:
2860340575_2ac72c339b.jpg

but remembered that I had those bars somewhere too, going to have to dig them out for some other project.
I am going to use those white pedals though. I thought about using that little skiptooth sprocket too, for a sort of "micro-drive" set up, but realized I would probably never generate enough torque to get the bike up to speed.
Instead I am going to go with this sprocket I pulled from a bike found in the barn behind my late grandparents old house.
3231217436_2a4bf75713_b.jpg

Also going to be using those pre-war ball-end grips :)

*EDIT -oh yeah, and the stem came from this bike:
1974819854_4737a193f9_b.jpg

this 73 varsity was hanging on my ex-girlfriend's dad's shed, I pulled it down a couple of years ago... but haven't done anything to it. just stole the stem for this.

any chance you can still get that skiptooth sprocket off the blue girl's bike, it looks small and I like those.

I had taken the bike down off the stand so I could work on a a different one. But walking past it all the time, and it being visible from every room in my apartment, I couldn't resist the urge to keep tinkering with it right there in the hallway.
This update shows the addition of the custom-welded layback seatpost (more on that later), and some pre-war stuff (crank, sprocket, pedals, and grips). I also have the tank semi-installed, having massaged the mounting brackets with some channel-locks.

So here is the "Hallway Mock-Up"
3719617649_fd118d4590_b.jpg

As seen from my bathroom (A hard lighting situation for which to color-correct):
3720431350_822c9eb667_b.jpg

I gotta admit, since it's been sitting on these wheels a few days the cream on white has kinda grown on me...
3720431926_ed94558997_b.jpg

3719619901_6a44893305_b.jpg

This is pretty much the look. Going to tear down and make some modifications and re-pack the hubs and bottom bracket.
Probably the last time it will be seen all-together before final assembly...

Re: RoadMaster Diesel: Better mock-up (pg. 3)

oh Joey I'd be really grateful for that little one - it will end up on one of my old rides. I like spinning! thanks bro

I had to satisfy my curiousity of what it would look like with black rims, so I photoshopped it:
3721643985_6b7d67ba9c_b.jpg

And I did another version to see what it would look like if just blacked out the sprocket, stem, and seatpost:
3722457360_f8d3a8ace1_b.jpg

need some opinions...

I like the original. Sweet bike. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back