Roadent

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Roadent was originally my Rat Rod Bikes Build Off 11 entry, a '63 Schwinn Varsity. It was to be my first derailleur/road bike build, after a string of coaster Sting-Rays. But then I scored this bike, and the amount of work it needs would be a stretch to finish by August 1st. Many of the bits I planned on using on the '63 will go on this bike. I figured I'd move over here to this forum and savor the build. Really excited about getting started! Here she is:

Arrival.jpg

Much more to come.

furyus

advertisement.jpg

Start1.jpg

Start2.jpg

Start3.jpg

Start4.jpg

Start5.jpg

Start6.jpg

Start7.jpg

Start8.jpg

furyus

Start9.jpg

Start10.jpg

Start11.jpg

Start12.jpg

Start13.jpg

Start14.jpg

Start15.jpg

Start16.jpg

Start17.jpg

furyus

That front derailleur is super cool!

I really dig the old Simplex "suicide shift" derailleurs, too. Schwinn offered them in '60 and '61 on the Varsity and Continental. Here's French racer Pierre Darrigade bangin' gears with a Simplex shifter in a 1952 race:

SuicideShift.jpg

furyus

Here's what I know about this bike. It came from Minnetonka, Minnesota, where it lived in the basement of a hardware store for several decades. The family that owns the hardware store used to own a Schwinn store as well, and when that venture ended a few bikes got stashed away.

VIN.jpg

She was born on September 6, 1961. I was born in November of the same year. We'll both be 55 in a matter on months (she looks better).

The '61 Varsity was the first, of millions, to be a "ten speed." Through May of '61, the Varsity was equipped with two front sprockets and a four-speed freewheel, for eight speeds. Schwinn began offering the Varsity as a ten speed in June of '61.

My Varsity has got a few stories to tell. The front derailleur shift rod is bent and the derailleur itself has been replaced by a period correct Cyclo Benelux, an English derailleur manufacturer. I'm sure this replacement happened many years ago. The kickstand is incorrect, as the bike stands straight up and the slightest breeze will knock her over. Odd how these parts are mangled but there is no serious frame damage. There will be Schwinn kickstands around after humanity has run it's course; why did this one need to be replaced?

The rear derailleur is most likely original - a Huret Allvit. Much maligned as far as weight and performance are concerned, the Allvit would find itself on millions of Schwinns, including all those 5-speed Sting-Rays we love. Not the smoothest or lightest, but bomb-proof.

The Japanese seat is obviously incorrect. Its plastic base is all that's left, the cover long gone. The '61 Varsity came from the factory with an Ideale leather seat.

My Varsity needs a lot of love. I have no intention of "restoring" it, despite its historical significance and rarity. It will be sort of pretty again one day, in a Rat Rod Bikes forum kind of way, and it will be ridden, Lord willing. Going to take some time to get there.

furyus

Last edited:
Nice one furyus! When you were talking about finding your grail bike I would have never guessed it would be another Varsity. It's really cool. Don't see a lot of them this old. Look forward to seeing how you fix it up.

Nice one furyus! When you were talking about finding your grail bike I would have never guessed it would be another Varsity. It's really cool. Don't see a lot of them this old. Look forward to seeing how you fix it up.

I know there are all those lovely Paramounts out there, not to mention Superiors, Sport Tourers and Super Sports, certainly "better" bikes than the Varsity. I like the Varsity's maligned status as a poor performer amongst bicycle elites, and the lever shifter on the 60-61's is the neatest bike bit I've seen. Hoping to make a clean little rider that will be pretty uncommon.

furyus

Latest posts

Back