Roadent

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gonna use my mulligan per the rules. When fedex lost a donor bike I had bought, my first build "Quench" got nixed. Still trying to gather the right bits now. I know the build will be a derailleur-driven road bike, but the only parts I'm certain of right now are a set of vintage toe-clips. I guess this is a variant of the "reserved" posts that have caused a stir this year. Ride safe, folks.

furyus

Back in the game!!! Good for you!! [emoji869][emoji869][emoji869]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RESERVED for comments after you post pics. :rolleyes:

Finally got my frame today. Really happy with the blue, and it's properly scruffy.

I bought it off ebay from a guy in Southern California. Looks like it actually lived its whole life out there. Here's the remnants of a bike shop sticker. Probably will protect this somehow:

Picked up a donor locally. It's not a rat, it's a roach.

Fell hard for the bell. Might not have bought this bike if it wasn't for the bell.

Lots of little bits on here that I'll use or stash. Screw on cable guide, for instance. I'll be stripping this bike down for future builds at minimum, or spares.

Simplex shifters in decent shape. Again, may make it to the bike or may go in the stash.

Still have a lot to gather, but at least I can amuse myself for a bit tearing this bike down. This will be the first geared bike I've ever built. I focused on coaster Sting-Rays before this (still love 'em and have two). I don't think running cables and figuring out how to properly set up a derailleur is too far above my head. We shall see.

furyus

Another donor, another roach. March '65 Continental. Really beat, and just propped together for these pics. The highly reflective decals on the seat tube are bicycle licenses from Midland, Michigan, '67, '68 and '69.

Love these old school handlebars!

Roach plus roach equal rat? Or is this roach squared? Do the math.

furyus

Second donor has your fork and probably decent bearings too.
You could probably stack them two purple bikes into a cool tall bike.

Carl.

Second donor has your fork and probably decent bearings too.
You could probably stack them two purple bikes into a cool tall bike.

Carl.

My frame is a bit smaller - chrome tubular fork won't fit. The original blue fork has been with the frame for 53 years so I don't want to be causing any separation anxiety by changing it out now. Bearings, cups and hardware will definitely be used or stashed as back-ups.

furyus

Looks like some great donors you're finding! Love derailleurs and gears.

I've never built a derailleur-equipped bike before, but I'm pretty pumped about the project (please quote me when all I can get it to do is that chunk-chunk-chunk thing when I try to shift). I need something I can ride a good distance to get the blood flowing through this old tent. Sting-Rays are great for the boardwalk or the cul-de-sac but not so much for a fitness ride.

furyus

Here's some inspiration for your geared road bike build. In 1972 when I got my driver's license, as a gift my dad took my 14 yr old brother and I down to the Schwinn shop in town and bought us each a new Schwinn Varsity. They were the first geared bikes we had ever seen.

His words were something like, "Now you've got transportation."

We road the bikes home (we lived 4 miles out of town on a gravel road) and over lunch excitedly talked about how fast and efficient the bikes were. My dad suggested a fun outing. Why don't Dave and I ride our bikes to our Uncle's town to really test out their road worthiness, and he and mom would meet us later on that evening with the camping trailer and we could camp overnight at the state park near there.

So, about 2 hours after we had purchased the bikes, we mounted those steeds and rode 40 miles into a 15 mph wind across the prairie of Southern Minnesota; no water, no breaks. My uncle was sure surprised when we showed up at his lumber yard that Saturday afternoon!

Here we are pictured getting ready to head into town for our daily summer tennis camp.....our own Schwinn ad....
newschwinnvarsity.jpg

Cool story. I notice you guys are in tennis gear and there isn't a single leaf on the trees behind you. What is that, June in Minnesota? Too bad you didn't keep those bikes, Schwinn was experimenting with "flip-flop" technology at the time, by placing the derailleurs on the left and the kickstands on the right and now they're pretty rare. Great pic!

furyus

Haha! Good one. My folks dialed down their 3500 slides onto a video format, and a few of these got put in backwards. Your powers of observation are second only to your poetic prowess.
(I put this up last year, and not one person commented on the swap....) And, I'm due for some literary linguistics any time you're ready....

Cool story. I notice you guys are in tennis gear and there isn't a single leaf on the trees behind you. What is that, June in Minnesota? Too bad you didn't keep those bikes, Schwinn was experimenting with "flip-flop" technology at the time, by placing the derailleurs on the left and the kickstands on the right and now they're pretty rare. Great pic!

furyus
Probably just the one bright sunny day in April....those are all oak trees, so the leaves would be a little later than the green grass. And no strong tan lines going yet, although I do see a bit of color. We were tennis bums though, so probably had been playing every sunny day since season started in early March......

I've never built a derailleur-equipped bike before, but I'm pretty pumped about the project (please quote me when all I can get it to do is that chunk-chunk-chunk thing when I try to shift).
furyus

Those derailleurs should be a piece of cake to set up. Should just be 2 limit screws one for high gear and one for low. Doesn't look like those derailleurs there have a stop screw for the mount pivot but some rear derailleurs will have a 3rd one for that.

The chunk chunk chunk is all operator dependent with the friction shifters unless you are in high or low gear.

Haha! Good one. My folks dialed down their 3500 slides onto a video format, and a few of these got put in backwards. Your powers of observation are second only to your poetic prowess.
(I put this up last year, and not one person commented on the swap....) And, I'm due for some literary linguistics any time you're ready....

Doh!...I totally missed that last time.....Love that pic!

There you go! deorman has it flipped right around now....Those rat trap racks in the back did get a workout from our trips to the courts in town...

Those derailleurs should be a piece of cake to set up. Should just be 2 limit screws one for high gear and one for low. Doesn't look like those derailleurs there have a stop screw for the mount pivot but some rear derailleurs will have a 3rd one for that.

The chunk chunk chunk is all operator dependent with the friction shifters unless you are in high or low gear.

Easy for you to say. Two, possibly three adjustments equals infinite combinations of me screwing up. I'm looking forward to learning about derailleurs, though. I really feel I've accomplished everything I've wanted with coaster bikes.

I like the "operator dependent" comment. Back in the Air Force, when we couldn't duplicate a problem a pilot complained about, we chalk it up to the "stick actuator."

furyus

Latest posts

Back