Rims: Am I Looking for the Impossible?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going insane.

My current build is a 1947 Columbia, and I'm nearly done with the frame. Meanwhile, I'm sourcing wheel components. I have a sweet re-chromed Bendix hub for the rear, and I'm looking for a front hub to match. The problem is that I'm hitting dead ends at every turn when I look for a pair of nice rims.

What I want do build is a nice pair of wheels with some heavy-duty, double-wall POLISHED alloy rims with chrome spokes, chromed brass nips, and wide enough so that a pair of Schwalbe Fat Franks fit nicely. I would be looking at 60-559 (26 x 2.35) for the tire.

I'm at my wit's end. It would seem that I can't even find a low-end steel rim that's any good. Are there any chromed steel rims out there that are double-walled construction? For that matter, where is a good place to even look for the low-end rims? Everyone wants to sell me a complete wheel. Am I mad? Do I need a pill? Help!

I didn't mention it, but I'll also need 36H. I went to Niagara. Specifically to the pages in your link. The closest I can find is the Sun 26x2.00, which is still a wee bit narrow for my tastes. That, and its silver but not polished. Is there any such thing as a really good steel chromed rim?

You are not crazy. No one really makes wide polished rims anymore. Two of the older ones I have on two bikes are the Araya 26x2.125 36hole Tandem rim in chromed steel. You don't see them often, but some Ratter here may have a pair. Ukai made a polished aluminum fatty in the 70's, but you never see them. You could polish one of the newer linked aluminum rims above as well.
If someone made a good double wall aluminum rim with a 2" outside measurement, welded, polished and eyeleted, they could sell as many as they wanted, but surprisingly no one has figured this out yet... skpc

Nice rims but no eyelets and only 29mm wide! Still waiting for wider with spoke hole eyelets.

Yes, I agree that they seem a little narrow, but as long as it'll fit a 2.125 then I'm good to go. I found these: http://www.alexrims.com/products/zuma-1-0/ but I can't source them anywhere. Perhaps you all can try and report back here. Its so disappointing to know in your head what you need, but manufacturers have decided that there's no $$ in it for them to supply you with what you need. Maybe we're (the cruiser/rat crowd) just need to yell a little louder. The squeaky wheel gets teh grease, right?

As far as no eyelets, I agree. That part sucks, but at least I'll build the wheels using nipple washers.

Last edited:
I'm going insane.

My current build is a 1947 Columbia, and I'm nearly done with the frame. Meanwhile, I'm sourcing wheel components. I have a sweet re-chromed Bendix hub for the rear, and I'm looking for a front hub to match. The problem is that I'm hitting dead ends at every turn when I look for a pair of nice rims.

What I want do build is a nice pair of wheels with some heavy-duty, double-wall POLISHED alloy rims with chrome spokes, chromed brass nips, and wide enough so that a pair of Schwalbe Fat Franks fit nicely. I would be looking at 60-559 (26 x 2.35) for the tire.

I'm at my wit's end. It would seem that I can't even find a low-end steel rim that's any good. Are there any chromed steel rims out there that are double-walled construction? For that matter, where is a good place to even look for the low-end rims? Everyone wants to sell me a complete wheel. Am I mad? Do I need a pill? Help!
I have 25 on my 26er with 2.35 and they look good and work perfectly. I race with them and they corner and climb well. Wide rims will change the look a little but not much. Show us a picture
I have probably the same Columbia all in parts. Spokes, hubs, truss rods, drop center rims all of it except fenders. Skip tooth or three speed? Can't decide. All stripped of paint and handing in my shop. I want to build it for a gift. It was one of my former klunkets and it survived years of abuse and racing. I would be interested to see yours for inspiration.

Sun MTX33, 33mm wide, welded, eyeleted and 35 dollars each from Niagara cycle. 36 hole, Schrader valve and a profile similar to old drop center rims. I used a pair on a build off bike a few years ago...
cefdebf36f1f72e9426cab66c29e6e08.jpg

Last edited:
Sun MTX33, 33mm wide, welded, eyeleted and 35 dollars each from Niagara cycle. 36 hole, Schrader valve and a profile similar to old drop center rims. I used a pair on a build off bike a few years ago...
cefdebf36f1f72e9426cab66c29e6e08.jpg
Me like-um! Those fat franks have a nice stance on that rim, too.

Latest posts

Back