Reverse faux patina paint job ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have this frame all pitty and rusted , but i had to make repairs on it witch will need a little bondo and paint ,
DSCN6298_zpsf3zugp5v.jpg

my question is :
- have anyone ever heard of painting over rust and then sand to show some of the original rust to make it look like it is the original paint with real rust patina ?

-how could i prep the rust to paint over ?
-will not using primer(only color) will stick ?

I guess i could let it rust to match the old , but the fact is i want some color ,but not shiny new paint color , so i thought maybe i could use the original rust instead of making it all "faux"

Thanks for any help or infos!

You'll probably get better responses than mine, but doing patina and faded paint can be done pretty easily.
Getting primer and paint to stick to rust is a little tricky tho.

But you can age brand new paint with different techniques, ie: dry brush, sponge,scotch brite pad.
Rust can be accomplished with salt water from a spray bottle, that's how I rusted Bull Rat.

Putting rust on Bondo I think would have to be "artificial". You could use something like the product The Renaissance Man used on his Raceliner build to rust the fiberglass tank. I think it has metal in it that rusts on exposure.

Any way that's just my 2 cents.

You'll probably get better responses than mine, but doing patina and faded paint can be done pretty easily.
Getting primer and paint to stick to rust is a little tricky tho.

But you can age brand new paint with different techniques, ie: dry brush, sponge,scotch brite pad.
Rust can be accomplished with salt water from a spray bottle, that's how I rusted Bull Rat.

Putting rust on Bondo I think would have to be "artificial". You could use something like the product The Renaissance Man used on his Raceliner build to rust the fiberglass tank. I think it has metal in it that rusts on exposure.

Any way that's just my 2 cents.
yeah , i know how to rust and make fake patina , the thing is i would like to use the real rust as patina with new paint , was wondering if that have been done somewhere somehow without to much peeling paint over time ;)

Paint over the rust with one coat of color. Before it has time to dry, follow that with mineral spirits sprayed with a paint gun effectively washing away some of the paint. Make sure that the frame is sitting level as it would when it's finished so that the erosion of paint will follow naturally in the direction that it would if nature did it over time. If you wash to much away, spray more paint on and work back and forth between paint and thinner. Also, if you get obvious runs or heavy spots that you don't like, have a soft rag ready to dab the paint with. Get creative and use any methods that you think will aid in the process. There is no correct or incorrect way to do it.
I've done this before with rattle can paint, but try to use a brand that doesn't dry really fast. It's a good idea to study real world examples of how the effects of time actually wear away paint and allow rust to form.

Hope that helps, good luck.

so paint will in fact stick ok to the rust ? any suggestion as to what kind of paint to use ? i guess enamel..

Yes it will stick to the rust. The rust itself will eventually let go of the metal but the paint will be stuck to it.
Something like Rust-Oleum enamel will work. You can also experiment with layers of different colors to give a primer showing under faded paint look. You just need to think ahead so that the order is what you will want in the end.

splatter some oil on it before you paint it, it will fish eye on the oil and when you scrub it it will look like the paint is rusting off.

Fill with welding instead of bondo, file smooth and spray on vinegar and salt solution. It will rust and pit in no time. I'm not sure of your intensions as you mentioned paint. If you want to keep the rust look just apply Penetrol drying oil to it, once yearly and it won't rust anymore. You can paint over the Penetrol if you later decide to make a fade paint job.

as mentioned in the first post , i want a weathered look , Painted with rust showing
i want paint/color , but would like to use the Real rust of the bike showing at some places.
The Renaissance Man suggestion seems to make sense , but i don't have a paint gun so i start to think i could mabe rub it by hand with the thinner and/or sand it .. not sure what the result would look like tho

as mentioned in the first post , i want a weathered look , Painted with rust showing
i want paint/color , but would like to use the Real rust of the bike showing at some places.
The Renaissance Man suggestion seems to make sense , but i don't have a paint gun so i start to think i could mabe rub it by hand with the thinner and/or sand it .. not sure what the result would look like tho
Don't sand it! that will remove the rust and look manipulated. You can use an atomizer bottle for the mineral spirits and probably be able to control it better anyway. Basically you are using it to rinse away some of the paint. A combination of rubbing it away with a thinner soaked rag and following with the atomizer to soften the edges should work great. As I mentioned before, make sure not to use fast drying spray paint.

I knew there would be some good info, I think TRM has it down here.

I took a rag and literally rubbed paint into the rust on my old Columbia like a stain. It kept the Patina and added color. I think it came out pretty good...
Before
clb1.jpg

after...
clb6.jpg

clb7.jpg

That looks really good Cam, simple and effective. Dig it.

Latest posts

Back