reusing spokes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
question can spokes be reused please listen to my plan first going from a small flange hub to a very large flange so i will be cutting the old existing threads of the spokes and rolling new threads on the spokes with the housan machine i despoked the wheel today polished all the spokes with 0000 steal wool all niples threaded off nicely so the threads in the nipples are all good
now all i need is a really nice tutorial on determining spoke length and i am not buying into the story that spokes take a set

I employ used spokes all the time, that I obtain piecemeal from the local co-op. Sometimes, fortune smiles and I am able to grab an entire matched set that I remove from a wheel in the scrap bin. The one thing I haven't done is use the Hozan thread roller--you'll need to get that information from other members. My one prediction there, is that it likely can't be used on butted spokes, which are thicker at the ends than in the middle. Shortening those removes meat where it is needed most. Straight-gauge spokes wouldn't suffer that problem.

Double-Butted-Spoke.gif

Last edited:
My method:
Step one: break a spoke.
Step two: wander out to the garden and remove a spoke from one of the wheels hanging on the fence.
Step three: hold spoke next to wheel to see if it fits.*
Step four: replace spoke.
*If step three is negative, proceed to step five.
Step five: tighten the two next to the missing one, and ride without the spoke.

Here's why I stopped. Last thing of the day, let's get the stupid reflectors off the wheels.

IMG_20200629_181420813.jpg

SNAP!!! Now I need a spoke wrench, a spoke, and knowledge. Or new old wheels. But I like theses!
yes, that is the one I broke. Thank you for providing such useful information. Could you please provide a link to my build too? Maybe post the after pics for me as well?

Increasing the cross pattern by a factor of 1 could work perfectly when switching from a low to high flange. Possible problems with that is if the initial wheel started with say a 3 cross. There could be spoke head clearance issues with fewer spoke holes when implementing a 4 cross pattern. Not a problem with 48h rims. Ok now i a really confused i took the original wheel apart yesterday i am changing to a shimano inter7 with coaster brake i had my sister send me 4 complete hubs from germany bought these hubs for literally pennies on the dollar 4 hubs cost me 100 euros and 35 euros shipping there are literally millions of these hubs over there it is the most popular in germany so in my money i got less than 200 bucks invested

so these wheels were 36 spokes i counted 18 crosses per side so i am having an issue understanding 3 or 4 cross sorry for my lack of understanding A friend that runs an LBS is going to start teaching me about wheel building he cuts and threads all his spokes for his wheel bills he only keeps extra long spokes in stock and cuts and threads to suit

Last edited:
"A friend that runs an LBS is going to start teaching me about wheel building he cuts and threads all his spokes for his wheel bills he only keeps extra long spokes in stock and cuts and threads to suit"

That's the solution. Hands on education is the best way to learn. I recently learned how to lace up a wheel using youtube, but I had to go back and forth watching closely and many of the videos were people who just love to talk all day long. I found one I liked that got right to the point.

this jan it will be 2 years since i got hit from behind by a drunk driver while out riding my bicycle those of you that have seen a pictures of all my vehicular toys will realize what has been taken away from me had just started on a honda cr 500 that i was in the process of turning into a street legal supermoto bike anyway enough of the pity party with therapy have have regained some use of my legs i was very unfortunate to have built a very nice shop /mancave before i got hurt it houses my fleet and gives me a beautiful shop to work in i retired 4 years go from the police service but had been in university studying mechanical engineering before i became a police officer i build quite a few engines for the winged sprintcar series that runs in our area my other passion is custom automotive wiring systems in fact for a very long time i was the moderator of the electrical forum over at shoptalkforums a forum that caters to all things VW on top of that i have always tinkered with bikes that both my daughters or my wife have ridden they have never ridden as purchased bicycles i have always tweaked,rebuilt,modified every bike that they have ever had alot of their bike s were built up of bits and pieces
i have never learned or attempted to build up a wheel from scratch replaced spokes and trued a ton of wheels in my time so i figured it was time for me to learn that part of it as well
thanks to everyone for your replies

the wheel i unspoked was exactly the configuration you have shown so now i know what is meant by a 3 cross thanks

Here's why I stopped. Last thing of the day, let's get the stupid reflectors off the wheels.

IMG_20200629_181420813.jpg

SNAP!!! Now I need a spoke wrench, a spoke, and knowledge. Or new old wheels. But I like theses!
As much work as it's going to take to get the wheel off the bike, get the tire off the rim, get the axle out and the cassette off so you can get a new spoke started. If it were me, I'd cut the broken spoke off at the nipple and just keep riding. Life is too short. KISS principle - Keep It Simple Steve.

Latest posts

Back