Retroped (was HEALING) - WBO 2018

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not much to see yet...

Healing_10SE.jpg

Don’t have any other parts so will see what turns up and take it from there.

New name will come when I have a better idea what I'm doing.

Glen.

I like old road bikes, can't wait to see what you do with it.

Something tells me this won't look anything like it currently does when you are finished. Cool bobber fenders

No building yet.

I've been thinking about what to do and decided I might knock off another item from my 'bike bucket list'. The last one was building a bike with car wheels, and that was achieved with Sidebolt.

So I think I might make this bike a retro-direct drive, been wanting to give that a bash for a while.

I was also thinking back to a couple of my early builds, done in 2009...

GooseRight.jpg

SunKingSide.jpg

I was living in Christchurch where it's flat, so these were both single speed. I'm thinking about doing something similar, but with the retro-direct to give two speeds since it's hilly where I am now.

:39:

Glen.

YES YES! Do the retro-drive! I'd never heard of it until just now...and it sounds incredibly cool!

Jason

Yeah, the more I think of it, the more I like the idea of pedalling backwards to go forwards. :crazy:

I'm trying to work out what sprockets and chainrings to use for good gearing, but I've never been good with gearing... numbers and me are not friends. :blush:

Glen.

It does seem like it would be best for the low gear to be the forward pedaling, and the high gear to be the reverse pedaling. Heck, when I'm coasting I habitually back pedal anyway, it would be a natural for me :).

Jason

"Is that the start or the finished photo?" ~ @Glen
( on my first ever entry into an RRB Build Off)
:21:

So, I've always been intrigued by the idea of just a front derailleur on a 2 x 1 road bike build. You will need a rear derailleur or chain guide for the rear to take up the slack, but having just a big gear and a climbing gear with two rings in the front.....

"Is that the start or the finished photo?" ~ @Glen
( on my first ever entry into an RRB Build Off)
:21:

So, I've always been intrigued by the idea of just a front derailleur on a 2 x 1 road bike build. You will need a rear derailleur or chain guide for the rear to take up the slack, but having just a big gear and a climbing gear with two rings in the front.....

Well now, funny you should mention that, because I've thought about that too. The thing I like about retro-direct is... no gear levers. :)

And pedalling backwards to go forwards will look funny :giggle:

Glen.

Those frames are incredible!

You mean the grey and yellow ones I did in 2009? If so... gee thanks :blush: I didn't have a welder back then so had to piece them together and get them welded by someone else. I loved both of those frames hence why I want this Healing to be similar in style.

Speaking of the Healing...

I've taken it mostly apart but I'm having a bit of trouble getting the right side bottom bracket cup out.

Some parts are slowly arriving but I'm not sure whether they'll be used on this or on Quadruped.

:39:

Glen.

When it's finished, can you treat us to a video of you pedaling it backwards? That would be so much fun.

:thumbsup: Sure will. I usually try to do a ride video of my finished build-off builds... for ridability proof :)

Haven't even really started on my WBO builds and I'm already thinking of another 'bike bucket list' build that's making my brain hurt. Depending on the entry rules for the next big build off, I might attempt it then. :39:

Glen.

Last edited:
I got some tyres...

001_Tyres.jpg

And I got this wee girl the other day too...

002_WeeBike.jpg

I was planning on cutting it up to modify the Healing frame, but now that I look at it, I’m wondering if I should restore it for my Great-Great-Niece who starts school this year. I’ll ponder the situation a bit.:39:

Here’s the two side by side for size comparison...

003_SizeCompare.jpg

These are some other bits that came as well, but not sure if they'll go on this bike...

004_Chainrings.jpg

005_Seat.jpg

Still waiting on stuff and looking out for old bikes for donors.

:rolleyes:

Glen.

Restore it.(the little bike).. has a nice chainset and cruiser shape. A back rack to carry her books to school. Maybe could be a muscle style....

Restore it.(the little bike).. has a nice chainset and cruiser shape. A back rack to carry her books to school. Maybe could be a muscle style....

Yeah, I thought of the muscle bike thing... a little banana seat, some little apes... right up her alley I reckon. :nod:

So I might have to think of something else to do with the Healing... or perhaps the retro-drive thing is weird enough :39:

Glen.

Yeah, I thought of the muscle bike thing... a little banana seat, some little apes... right up her alley I reckon. :nod:

So I might have to think of something else to do with the Healing... or perhaps the retro-drive thing is weird enough :39:

Glen.
Muscle bike was what I was thinking too. [emoji106]

I went on a trip to another island,and a elderly hippy couple gave me a 20".
Made in Canada.
Considering it had been shipped abroad and found its way onto a island,then I dragged it with me across another 2 islands,I decide to keep it together and some lucky kid can continue a tradition. All it needs is a seat.
20170806_071110.jpg

I went on a trip to another island,and a elderly hippy couple gave me a 20".
Made in Canada.
Considering it had been shipped abroad and found its way onto a island,then I dragged it with me across another 2 islands,I decide to keep it together and some lucky kid can continue a tradition. All it needs is a seat.View attachment 69931

Cool. :thumbsup:

I think the wee girls bike I got had a removable top tube originally too because there's a small hole near the head tube that might have been a locator hole for such a piece. I might have to research it and see if I can discover the make of it.

Latest posts

Back