Repairable or new frame?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Riding yesterday and snap-o. Stem wasn't in far enough - but hey, I'm tall.
I know a bloke who welds aluminium and says it might be redeemable - but he's not sure - and he's just gone on holidays for a month.
Or would you just forgedabboutit and look for a replacement frame?
break.jpg

Depends on how much you have to spend to have it welded. Just have to decide how much money you are willing to gamble as opposed to applying that money toward another frame. Obviously a longer post is in order if you do have it repaired. Good luck!

Welding the tube back together will change the internal diameter. I guess you could grind it back smooth with a grinding rock(if it would reach), but it would be a pain. I say replacement frame.

Can definitely be fixed...there are thousands of Race Inc and PK Ripper owners out there as proof :grin:. The problem is, heat treating...it will be compromised in the welded area. The problems with getting the frame re-heat treated is a) finding someone with a big enough oven b) finding someone with adequate experience, and c) the frame may settle all out of whack.

So, what is often done, is to accept that the heat treat will be compromised...and add gussets to make up for the reduced hardness. There are also people like the Frame Doctor out of Florida that would remove the whole seat tube and replace it...but, that ain't cheap. The bottom line is that if the difference in price to repair vs. price to replace is enough to just squash any pesky safety worries? If it was a YETI priced bike...I'd have it fixed. If it is a china ebay frame...I'd probably replace.

Jason

Thanks all.

China ebay frame - on a bike I bought second hand and in run down condition. I spent considerably more on component upgrades than the bike.

The welder I know will attempt a repair for beers, but I agree about the integrity of the joint.

I just missed a cheap bike that I would have bought for the frame and tyres on ebay.

Another will come up.

I agree to Jamesdart.
Grind it flat, make a cut in the seat tube under the top tube and place the clamp there. You would need a two piece clamp, but i guess it is not difficult to buy or make.
And always use a longer seat tube, especially on alu frames ;)

Do it the Yooper way. Grind the top of the frame sorta smooth or not, stick in a seat post you don't care about, epoxy in place with JB Weld, drills holes through the frame and post then tap it and put in bolts to secure the seat post to the frame. Ride it up and down the stairs, if it breaks don't do it.

Yeah - I had thought about that. It could even be permanently placed/tacked.
It's the longest Cro-mo tube I could find though.
I weld two posts together to make a longer one. I put a gusset in the joint with a hole drilled through the posts and part way into the gusset and tack that part before welding the joint. Grind the joint if you want it to look better or not.

Beer's cheap...fire up the TiG, and gusset the heck out of it.

I'm sure the post diameter is some odd size...but, figure out how long a post you need, find a small machine shop somewhere, get whatever the just above size they have in stock, have them turn down the frame end to the right diameter 6" or so...and the other end to the seat hardware size (polish up the middle section). With the stock shoulder resting on the frame, it is just a little more added support.

Jason

Latest posts

Back