Removing Solid Core Schwinn Exerciser Tires from S2 Rims

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish254

BUILD COOL BIKES AND HAVE FUN!!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
I am in the process of parting out my second Schwinn Exerciser (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54524)
There are some cool parts to use off of these and they are usually in great shape since they have typically been kept indoors.

One cool part is the S2 rim. It is very heavy because of the solid core tire. The person that bought my first part out rim planned on using it for a friction drive, so he needed the hard tire. But I believe most people like these wheels because they can get a very nice 20" S2 rim for their StingRay projects.

Shipping this thing is a beast because of the weight. I had one RRBer request that I remove the tire to cut down on the shipping. I wasn't willing to do this because I was afraid I would damage the rim. The person that ended up buying it told me I could remove the tire if I wanted. After thinking it over, I came up with a safe way to remove it.

I clamped the tire into a workmate table and adjusted the depth of my circular saw so it would only go about 3/4 of the way into the tire. I made a few slices. Then I took our a sharp chisel and a strong utility knife and worked one of the cuts all the way down into the rim wall. Once it was cut, I just peeled the tire off. Turns out it isn't solid core.

Here are some photos of the tire. I forgot to take any after shots of the rim and it is already packaged up for shipping.

WP_001361.jpg

WP_001362.jpg

Awww....bummer....I really wanted that tire :wink:
How do you think one of those would do for my G-Bike? Would the thing maybe want to come off with the cent.-force at 60mph?

gcrank1 said:
Awww....bummer....I really wanted that tire :wink:
How do you think one of those would do for my G-Bike? Would the thing maybe want to come off with the cent.-force at 60mph?

This one had one of those hard plastic packing straps wrapped around it in that center groove. Not sure how long the strap would last if it rolling on a surface.

The tire is on there pretty darn good, so I don't think you would have a problem with it rolling off unless you decided to try and take a curve at 60!!!!!!

I expect the balance of that solid tire is not that great, it probably has a heavy spot that, at speed, would cause an elliptical lift; might be interesting to watch on high speed video! Sure wouldnt have to worry about a flat in the middle of a downhill........

Maybe you could soak it in a tub of hot soapy water and force it off with a couple of plastic levers and your hands. I'd probably have destroyed it as well, but with a giant cable cutter, and maybe a touch of
8968977_10457132_trimmed.jpg

I'm just lazy like that. :mrgreen:

Lots of industrial equipment uses semi-pneumatic. Some are pressed straight, some use a tire machine and literally stretch the whole tire. Probably some variation of the latter would be my guess.

I had an old happy days Fonzie bike (AMF I think) long ago. It had the solid tires, but they were full solid. I left the wheels in the sun til the rubber got pretty hot. Then I put grease between the tire and rim and pried it off with a little curved bar I had. It was similar to a mini crow bar. However I've been told that if you dip them in boiling water that they will come off pretty easily.

well all u have to do is put the wheel and tire in some real hot watter let it sit in there for a coupe of minutes and u can roll the tire right off the rim
it is very easy chucksoldbikes
iv done it several times works with any hard rubber tires trycycle wagon and so on lil tiger

well all u have to do is put the wheel and tire in some real hot watter let it sit in there for a coupe of minutes and u can roll the tire right off the rim
it is very easy chucksoldbikes
iv done it several times works with any hard rubber tires trycycle wagon and so on lil tiger

when u put them in the real hot watter they get real plieable u can strech them right on the wheel when they cool there ready to use
chucksoldbikes

Bump for Jayblok

Are all the exerciser rim S-2 or useable as one??Mine appears to have straight sides, no bevel like my S 2 on the Stingray , and some weird looking knurling with no markings.

Are all the exerciser rim S-2 or useable as one??Mine appears to have straight sides, no bevel like my S 2 on the Stingray , and some weird looking knurling with no markings.

I am no Schwinn rim expert, but I think some of these have S2 rims that are the same as StingRays and some have S2 rims that are not.

Ha king just from experience of my younger dumber years I did take the tires from 2 machines and put them on a bike of mine.Best advice if ever wanting to go that route is apply a glue into the rim and as of putting it onto the rim make sure you have boiling Hot water.Once its hot enough better hurry to get it on or it stiffens up in a hurry.Not the best riding tires but can say I did that just to dispite my dad advice on getting new tires

Latest posts

Back