1. I wanted to give everybody a heads up on a change that I'm going to make for folks who want to use the For Sale section of the forum.

The forum has been running strong for almost 11 years now and I (along with our awesome moderators) have tried to keep things running smooth and trouble free during that time. I'm thankful for everyone who has helped make this a great community to participate in.

As you can imagine, there are some expenses that are involved in maintaining a site like this and I've tried my best to keep from passing that expense onto the user over the years. The forum will always be a free resource for people to communicate, learn and share.

In order to offset some of the expenses that the site creates, I'm going to be changing the Gold Membership upgrade on the forum. Starting on April 1, 2017 the current "Gold Member" upgrade will be renamed "Pro Member" and this $20 annual upgrade will be required for posting items in the For Sale section. All members and visitors will still be able to view the For Sale section for free, but a Pro Membership upgrade of $20/year will be required for listing items in that section for sale. Current Gold Members will be converted to Pro Members and will have access to listing items for sale until their current upgrade expires.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?account/upgrades

Thank you for your understanding and I will give further updates as the upgrade date approaches.

Steve

(click on the "X" in the top right corner of this notice to close it)
    Dismiss Notice

Removing paint from a decal ?

Discussion in 'HOW TO' started by RollinStyle, Jan 28, 2012.

1. RollinStyle

RollinStyle

I just picked up a real nice 63 Traveler :mrgreen: thats original black with nice factory decals but it looks like paint was dripped on the big seat tube decal. I would like to remove the paint without harming the decal...It looks like a bit house paint got dripped on the bike..Any suggestions?

8)

2. Voyager Al

Voyager Al

hardware stores sell a product to remove house paint. Not sure if it will harm decals. Easy-off oven cleaner alsoworks, but that decal???not sure. Will it pick off with your fingernail?

3. Iron Horse

Iron Horse

I have had very good results removing paint splatters from a bike I was working on using tolulene (sp?). I got it from true value for around six bucks for a quart. It did not affect the painted on decals at all. I just put some on a rag and gently rubbed the oversprayed area. Just be forwarned that if you get carried away with scrubbing, this IS a strong solvent, and it probably will eventually rub the paint off. I don't know how it would affect vinyl decals though. Haven't tried it yet.....

4. gcrank1

gcrank1

A lot will depend on if the decals are clearcoated over or not.
    Always try the least harsh treatments first; ie, a damp cloth, or maybe a bandaid damp on the gauze to soak a while over the paint to soften it, then a softish scraper (a credit card can work well for lots of these kind of things) to get off the high spots, slowly damping/resoaking, etc. and working your way down to the bottom at the decal where you should use a magnifier and go WAY easy and slow.