REMIX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fordsnake said:
Machine Age Victim said:
Wow, really nice work! is the leather painted?

Yeah, the leather is painted! I first dyed it a mahogany color, then aged it. But it looked more like new leather, so I scraped that approach and painted it.

That's looking very nice!
Does seem a shame to not let it be leather since it is leather. I'm wondering how it might look to wipe the paint away with some mineral spirits so that it looks worn off down to the leather while remnants stay in the nooks and crannies?

Just a thought, I'm convinced that what ever you do will look crazy good!

The Renaissance Man said:
That's looking very nice!
Does seem a shame to not let it be leather since it is leather. I'm wondering how it might look to wipe the paint away with some mineral spirits so that it looks worn off down to the leather while remnants stay in the nooks and crannies?

Just a thought, I'm convinced that what ever you do will look crazy good!
Distressing the substrate sounds really cool, but it's not the direction I'm pursuing on this build...I will certainly consider it for another time. Thanks R-Man!

YO GET TA BUILDIN'. THIS BUILD IS LIKE CRAZY EDDIE- INSANE!!

Man, you've got some crazy skills! Nice work again....can't wait to see the finished bike!

Thanks guys for the thumbs up...this has certainly been a challenge. I'm in area I'm really not familiar with, but it's been fun. I've been wrecking my brain over a light design...I think I finally landed on one I like. Before I share the light...here's the completed leather armor...I'm stoked with the final results!

:shock: :shock:
That's a work of art!!

Wow , when you can put one part solo on a desk an it look awesome, we know the whole thing is gonna be spectacular, cant wait to see the rest of it :D

worth seeing again :mrgreen:
029.jpg

SSG said:
The bike looks awesome so far. It would be cool if your secondary sprocket turned an old scrub generator to power your headlight.

I like your idea...but what the heck is a "scrub" generator...is it the same thing as a "bottle" generator?

texasbigjon said:
that's some really great work! 8) how do you form the leather and get it to stay in place to mimic the elgin tins?

Leather is very malleable and easy to shape. Soaked the leather in very warm water (water too hot will wilt and shrivel the leather). Stretch and squeeze the water out as you shape it in your mold. The more the water dissipates the easier it is to hold its form. Once it has completely dried - stiffen the back with a resin.

I'm with Critter1
Quit while I think I'm ahead!!!.... :cry:
Dang boy you are one creator/designer...What is it you do for work etc?
Maybe you should open your own designer bike shop?
Last year you did 2 bikes,and won with one of them,you have set the standard way to high,you already have my vote with just a bit of leather shaped like a chicken...

Latest posts

Back