Reflector End Grips D.I.Y.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone can purchase amber or red reflector end grips. Has anyone else attempted to make their own? Not ground breaking technology, but it was a fun little experiment after I go the idea. I used a threaded aluminum nipple and honed out the inside at an angle until it was razor sharp, then used it as a punch die. Problem is, it's so soft its only good for one grip so I had to repeat the process for the other side. If I had a lathe here at home I could fab up a harder tool from steel, which would make the cut even cleaner. If you try to cut grips with a razor blade etc, it doesn't come out so well (you probably already know this). Anyway, it will work for now.
Viola
grips purp 1.jpg

grips purp 2.jpg
grips purp 3.jpg

I haven't installed them yet, will advise.

Last edited:
I did this but used one red and one blue glass reflector, the kind used on old signs. You can sometimes find them reasonable on line. I used real antique age hardened coke bottle grips that were coming apart. I holed out the ends, used black Sho Goo to mount the glass reflectors and black Sho Goo and tape to glue the brittle parts to the bars. The electrical tape was removed after the Goo dried. No picture as the bike is currently on display at a friends bike shop.

I did this but used one red and one blue glass reflector, the kind used on old signs. You can sometimes find them reasonable on line. I used real antique age hardened coke bottle grips that were coming apart. I holed out the ends, used black Sho Goo to mount the glass reflectors and black Sho Goo and tape to glue the brittle parts to the bars. The electrical tape was removed after the Goo dried. No picture as the bike is currently on display at a friends bike shop.
Awesome, yeah I was looking at those reflectors too, but they are pretty pricey.

Latest posts

Back