Redline Squareback 26 bmx tribute bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, it's a fun scooter for sure. Thanks!

Eh, well I did weld it up myself but once I get started I just go until it's done. I guess that is why I've never entered in a build-off as I'm not going to stop to take pictures. I've been making stuff just to get my TIG skills up so there you go. I used our Genuine Bicycle Products fixture for the front triangle and made another fixture for the squareback rear end. I made drop outs like the early Champion ones as they cost as much to make as a pair fof Surly track dropouts and are way cooler in my opinion. I made the frame and the bars are our Genuine Bicycle Products 818 bars that I cut the straight cross member out of and welded the V cross member to make the V bar. The Redline stem is a copy too, I had 3 NOS clamps and my pal made castings, another friend had an original stem base so I made a copy from his. They are different enough that it won't be easy to pass it off as a copy as mine is 22.2 diameter instead of the stock 21.1 and my welds are not as good in my opinion. I used mid-late 70's era crap for the rest so it should look "era correct" whatever that means now and to whom I would not know :)

I like it!
Here's a funny thing...I had a chrome (nickel?) Square Back when I was a kid. Wound up trading it away for an FMF (which I promptly broke on a jump..) and then moved on to early Mt. Bikes..(this was around '82).
Anyway, I heard awhile back from a mutual friend that the dude I swapped with is still around and has the old redline hanging up in his barn.
Well, last night I got a totally out of the blue text from the guy asking me to call him...
Probably will and hopefully I'll roll out to his place and take a look at the old ride!
Plus, he wound up with an old over under shotgun of mine in a different swap...kinda want to see if he'd let me buy it back..:)

I had one too but traded it for a cook cruiser frame, we both got what we wanted there so it was all good. :)

Very nice work, Paul. Love the stance. Are those the same ends you're selling on your site? And are those Red Menace forks??

Latest posts

Back