Red washed Schwinn DX help ..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this up from a buddy. He kind of help me for ransom ($100) because he knows I wanted to try and remove bucket or spray paint from a good frame. Well, here it is. I have researched this paint removal concept with a lot of different reactions. Some say oven cleaner while others say paint thinner and other related processes. I really want to know what is under this red wash and bring that back without damaging the paint below. Does anyone have any advice or pitfalls they found? Is this truly possible or more of an old wives tale so to speak. I would love to hear what you think!

Attachments

• IMG_0664.JPG
    IMG_0664.JPG
    285.3 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0665.JPG
    IMG_0665.JPG
    275.5 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0666.JPG
    IMG_0666.JPG
    292 KB · Views: 169
I always strat with the weakest chemicals, some paint is really poor qualty and will come off with laquer thinner. I use Oven cleaner to remove anodizing but havent tried it as stripper. The citrus based paint stripper is slow enough you can cook off the spray bomb and stop it before it gets into the old paint, just test it on the botton to make sure first.

I always strat with the weakest chemicals, some paint is really poor qualty and will come off with laquer thinner. I use Oven cleaner to remove anodizing but havent tried it as stripper. The citrus based paint stripper is slow enough you can cook off the spray bomb and stop it before it gets into the old paint, just test it on the botton to make sure first.
So you just want to rub on the thinner?

I've always just used paint stripper in a spray can , spray on wash off with water hosen.

It's never hurt any of mine , but I'd hate for it to go wrong on yours .:headbang:

Quite possible, my 1950s J.C Higgins Color-Flow had the same issue. Before
index.php

After
Just be prepared for a long and tedious job took me easily 15-20 hours to do, you have to be super carful not to have the striper eat the OG paint. I also had a step up from you half the paint was already taken off by the pervious owner, he most likely spent the same about off time on it as well.
index.php

As for what to use, anything the other guys already mentioned works, but I used Citristrip paint remover.

Latest posts

Back