Red bike. ‘62 Schwinn Typhoon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
So a bit back I picked up a ‘62 typhoon frame. This was the second highest Schwinn on my personal hit list. Right behind a king size. (KS build coming soon).
I tend to like a decent amount of crustiness on my Bikes. I find I ride them more like that.
Before I found the frame, I found this fork-
66C66529-14C0-4D9F-915F-1DDA7346BB89.jpeg

Since the double straight bar Typhoononly came in red and black in 62, I was hopeful for a red one. (Although the frame is claimed as ‘one year only’ they did start showing up in ‘61 as well with a dual paint scheme, white front, black from the headtube back).

One popped up that suited my needs. So I bought it-
D78E8A7B-CCB8-404B-88A2-1AF7EDE90051.jpeg

Now with a nicely faded frame and fork, my goal is to build an era appropriate bmx influenced cruiser with equally faded red anodized parts. Luckily, I happen to have some.

Luckily I already have a faded red wheelset. Only thing is, I laced a shimano nexus 3 speed into the rear. I’d like to go with a bendix RB2. So I’ve gotta so a hub swap.

EE76C23A-6A59-4820-8572-8F078ECA2746.jpeg

Also digging through parts, I decided on a crank and pedal set up. I do have a faded red chainring, but it is a 130 bcd, and I like this crank better for this build, 110 bcd. Also, I will continue to hunt for faded red pedals. But these faded out black bear traps will work for the time being.

C5CC67AF-3A17-4051-9C34-4227BACBCF2A.jpeg

Figured the ano kinda peeling off on these goes with the flow.

I love the theme you are going for!

Thanks Luke. Similar to a black and gold Schwinn straight bar build I did a while back, I want it to look like it was built in the early 80s and left behind a shed or something partially covered.
I’ve got all the parts dug up. Just need to assemble.

Last edited:
Good build! I am not feeling the white walls but I think they help contribute to the fade look.
I had a friend tell me the same thing. These tires were originally intended for my Laguna. I did find some all black Schwinn typhoon cord tires I may swap to. I also have some gum wall snakebellies. But the old gum walls washed out the 'red' rims.

looks good :)
Thank you!

Latest posts

Back