RRBBO13 Recycling Silver Maggot V

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
1528732209520-1167293135.jpg
1528732043348-888502763.jpg
Many are aware that I blew my back out last fall moving 70 miles into the bush. I'm getting back on my feet and am putting a floor in my barn attic. I found enough stuff moving around my junk to slap together a vintage cruiser for my son in law. 1950 Columbia frame, 1940 Schwinn fork. The frame was used to race the Ore to Shore race. After that ordeal I vowed never to do that again and disassembled it. I won't finish in time but I hope to finish a mock up before paint and thay will be the goal for this build off.

Last edited:
Hope your back is doing better.
I love the name of the build.

Hope your back is doing better.
I love the name of the build.
Thanks, I'm much better than before the emergency double fusion but not like I was before. One morning eight months ago I couldn't walk thus the surgery. I can only ride 50 kilometers of gravel and that is pretty hard. But I'm riding and messing with bikes again so I got no complaints.

Glad to hear youre back at it. Do you have access to a welder - rig a vintage frame to use articulating rear triangle and suspension. Could be awesome.

Ill follow along and see whats going on with your planned build.

It's not going to rain for the next seven days so I started the acid soak to remove rust.View attachment 78222
Wow, with a prediction like that, if you are correct, you could land a job as meteorologist at any one of our blundering metro TV stations.

We need 7 days of dry weather just to take the sponginess out of the ground. It's been a bad week.

Wow, with a prediction like that, if you are correct, you could land a job as meteorologist at any one of our blundering metro TV stations.

We need 7 days of dry weather just to take the sponginess out of the ground. It's been a bad week.
Still is.

Glad to hear youre back at it. Do you have access to a welder - rig a vintage frame to use articulating rear triangle and suspension. Could be awesome.

Ill follow along and see whats going on with your planned build.
I have a Miller stick and a Miller Mig. I plan to keep this one simple and only plan on welding tabs on for the chainguard mounts.
Take it easy plenty of time left... But glad to see you are in.
the-rabbit-and-the-turtle-story-short-stories-for-kids.jpg
I am taking it easy now and have only ridden 4 miles in the last three weeks. I put a floor in my barn eves and have used my new electric hoist to store them there in the barn attic.

Bicycles are all stored. About 75% of my parts are sorted and labeled. The remaining parts are in the storage unit. Next I'm going to empy the garage and toss out a bunch of junk. By then the Silver Maggot sould be derusted and ready for primer. I found my spokes.

Ground level of the garage/barn. Still a lot of junk and sorting.
20180622_131241.jpg

Parts stored under the eves on my newly installed floor.
20180622_131505.jpg
Hoists and retractable beam. It rides on old rollerblade bearings.
20180622_131521.jpg
20180622_131554.jpg
20180622_131602.jpg
20180622_131633.jpg
20180622_131643.jpg

Last edited:
for some reason my Phone started putting every picture on this site upside down. Its OK on other sites though.
Mine does weird rotations, too. I find if I edit the pic, rotate once and save, then rotate to the desired angle (even if back to the original) then it’s like the phone “fixes” the rotation in position rather than “deciding” how it should go when uploaded.

Didn't finish. Here it is almost mocked up. I have to put on on the chain so I can weld on chain guard mounts. Then pedals and it will be in the rideable state I was shooting for in the build off. Oh well! It will have a different seat and fenders. These fenders are drilled to fit this frame and will be used as a pattern for new fenders. The 5/8 cold rolled seat post rod will be bent to make a lucky 7.
1534270472451-1254747682.jpg

Latest posts

Back