ReCycled (rack progress! 7/5)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To start, this was a 1984 Murray Monterey, Olympic edition.
IMG_4287.jpg

I wasn't going to enter the RRBBO (how many times have you read that now?), but just couldn't stand it after reading all these build threads. I've had this bike junking up my shed for a while and finally decided to make it into something I want to ride. I had played around with some ideas in my head, but it wasn't until I broke out the aircraft stripper that I found my vision for this bike. It has a cool weblike patina to the steel that I couldn't even think about painting over. So here's how she sits, after throwing a heavy duty wheelset and a different fork at it.
IMG_8848.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

IMG_5652.jpg

IMG_5228.jpg

The frame is apparently copper brazed, which looks pretty darn cool in raw form. I've got some ideas that I'll be working on over the next couple weeks, I'll be riding 'er by Memorial Day weekend.

Re: Murray in the Raw

Gotta love that bare-metal look! Been twenty years since I lived in Norfolk... had an apartment across the marina from Little Creek...

gowjobs said:
Gotta love that bare-metal look! Been twenty years since I lived in Norfolk... had an apartment across the marina from Little Creek...
I'm guessing you're ex-Navy? That's what put me here, originally from GA. Been here 6mos, I like it so far.

Yup - Machinist Mate aboard U.S.S. America CV-66 1988-1991. I can't tell you how much fun Desert Storm was... no really... I can't. ;-)

Got a few things done today. Straightened out the bent cranks and installed them along with the sprocket, which matches the rear wheel disc perfectly! For mockup purposes, I threw on a spare seat, stem, and bars from another cruiser I'm working on. The front brake will stay, but I'll be changing out the bars and seat. I just had to get it all together so I could take it for a lap around the neighborhood tonight. :)

IMG_1067.jpg

IMG_4726.jpg

IMG_5620.jpg

IMG_3876.jpg

Re: Murray in the Raw (updated 5/7)

Did some more work on the Murray today. Swapped out the fork, got the chain on, and cleaned and repacked all the bearings. Took it for a spin today, this thing rides smooth! I'm still trying to decide what type of handlebars to use. I've got a couple more projects started, but I'll leave those for another update :mrgreen:

IMG_7039.jpg

IMG_9437.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

I think it's time to clean the shop, again...

Re: ReCycled (formerly Murray in the Raw, 5/25)

Progress! Decided to change the name, since ive committed to not spending ANY money on this build, only what parts and scraps I already have in the shop. More to come this weekend!

How it sits now. I shortened the bars by about 2-3", wrapped them with bartape and capped 'em with wine corks.
IMG_8915.jpg

Snagged a bottle opener off my workbench for the headbadge...
IMG_8289.jpg

The beginning of a rack, this weekends main project...
IMG_9275.jpg

Lookin good! That rack is a real cool idea! Hope ya pull it off.

Love the rack idea. Wish I could steal it, but I won't. Maybe somewhere down the line.

I thought I had another original idea for a rack, oh well, there are very few original ideas left. Love that you found another Murray to do the rack with if you plan on keeping the dropouts it will really stand out.

That rack idea is a stroke of genius! Very cool! 8)

d.rock said:
Snagged a bottle opener off my workbench for the headbadge...
IMG_8289.jpg

Hey now, that's a great idea!

My wife's 47 Schwinn custom last year:

47schwinn_f6.jpg

Nice work!

--Rob

Thanks for the positive comments! I got some more work done on the rack today. I drilled the mounts and adjusted the fit of the rack, and threw on a quick coat of satin black to match the fork. I may tweak the alignment some more but for now it fits great and all that's left is the platform.

I also cleaned up and installed an old chain, since the other one was the only new part on the entire bike. It was just too shiny! :mrgreen:

IMG_8724.jpg

IMG_4436.jpg

Latest posts

Back