Rebuild or Restore Possibilities and help please

Discussion in 'WANTED' started by Mickey, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Mickey

Mickey

0   0   0

I am wanting to restore or purchase a 1962-63 Schwinn American Deluxe bike to restore to original condition....or as close as possible. I would like to hear from the "pros" regarding the possibilty of this. I have seen a few on ebay, however, I am clueless about replacement parts. I know I can have anything painted or chromed, but how about things like replacement whitewalls, decals, seat covers, horn replacements...ect. I really need for you guys to give me some guidence before I get started as to the possibly of pulling this off before I make a purchase.
    Respectfully submitted.
    Mickey
  2. Terry66

Terry66

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Well...my personal experience is that it is cheaper to buy a really nice bike than to do it yourself. Then again, that takes the fun out of it if you enjoy wrenching. I would realistically start mapping out what you want to do and how much things will cost. Then price out some of the nicer Schwinn middleweights and see what you think.

Another thing to consider is many people feel painting or coating a bike makes it less desirable. It the whole "It's only original once" arguement. I can see both sides and have done both.

I built a '66 Schwinn this spring and I have probably three times as much in it as I do my original '63 Schwinn American full of Schwinn accessories that I bought.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. B607

B607 Pro Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I agree. Unless you have more money than sense, I'd look long and hard and find a really nice original bike and pay the price for it. On the other hand, if you are doing it for a project and have to "do it yourself", then by all means go for it. Virtually everything is available, either as original parts or repop stuff of good quality. Gary
  4. kingfish254

kingfish254 Check out the 30+ Items in my FOR SALE thread! Pro Member

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0

I have what I think is a 1962 Schwinn DeLuxe American.
    viewtopic.php?f=16&t=52698
    I can't decode the year though.

Make me an offer if you are interested.

This bike was the owner's brother's paper route bike when he was a kid in Michigan. It's missing the tank.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]