RE-TIRED STRIPPER - Formerly Spit Ply-er DONE (basically)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice design! :41:
How do you plan to make the actual pieces? Looks like your just a couple of steps away from either CNC or a 3D printer!

As for my computer renderings, I'm way more crude than what your doing. I just draw stuff on top of pictures in my graphic software (CorelDraw).

Those renderings you do look like 3D software, you must have a great eye for drawing in perspective... great job on that!

Yeah, my plan is CNC. I would love to use a 3D printer but not for this build. If I'm lucky some time in the future I might be able to finagle use of a 3D printer but I'm not holding my breath. I'm planning on using plywood stacked and milled to get a look similar to this chair:
plywoodchair.jpg

The tank will be awesome! Let me know if you ever decide to sell a tank, I have a couple of straight-bar Schwinns.

Great bike, Rg

As of now, it will be difficult for me to mill out more than just the one for this bike, but the thought has definitely crossed my mind to sell these. I've never made a mold but i'd love to try it out... are you more interested in something like that or another milled wood version?

That duster was my first car, it would take a LOT of tanks! It is a Duster Twister red with black stripes, spoiler, bucket seats, console, 318. I'm thinking of putting one of the new hemi's in it.

I thought you were making a mold for fiberglass, that would be where you could make $, not that the milled wood isn't cool, it is, but I think the market would be in 'glass.

Sorry to derail your thread, Get ta buildin'! Rg

Those renderings you do look like 3D software, you must have a great eye for drawing in perspective... great job on that!

Yeah, my plan is CNC. I would love to use a 3D printer but not for this build. If I'm lucky some time in the future I might be able to finagle use of a 3D printer but I'm not holding my breath. I'm planning on using plywood stacked and milled to get a look similar to this chair:
plywoodchair.jpg
I was thinking this may be the way you were going to do it, just going off your build name... ;)

Luke.

That's awesome that you still have the car. My Dad had a 68 Dart with a 340 that was my first car to drive, and I was a stupid kid and let him sell it instead of buying it myself... I'd love to have a "redo" on that one.

Thats good to know with the fiberglass... I've seen The Renaissance Man's build for his transgender tank and it looks tough! I'll keep it in mind and if I decide to do it I'll let you know first.

Hah I'm a mopar fan too. My first truck is a 98 Dakota, and first car is a '67 sport fury. 318 bench seat automatic. The fury isn't pretty, but she lights the tires good.

OK, well I've got too many projects going on at once so I'm trying to spend my time wisely. I think I'm still good with timing but I'm seeing a lot of bikes on here that seem like they're almost done! This is the first time I've followed the build-off so I don't know if a lot of people finish with plenty of time to spare or not... anyway here is a mild update.

I get picky about minor details. I noticed you could see the brackets under the seat when looking at the seat from the front so I decided to paint them black. I also removed all the rust and shined up the chrome... it's looking new!
IMG_7745.jpg

IMG_7772.jpg

I also want to get everyones opinion about the direction to go when I start milling the tank. Originally I wanted to go with stacked plywood but I rendered it up and I'm starting to wonder if it takes away from the overall shape of the tank. Let me know what you guys think... option 1 or 2? Try not to base your opinion on color, because I could stain either one either color.

option1.jpg

option2.jpg

I personally prefer the stacked plywood one, it adds an extra level of interest and if you are going to stain it, the stain tends to highlight the cross grain plies more, giving it even more pop!

Luke.

Plywood looks insanely cool - TENFOLD!!! Especially once ya stain it.

Just plain wow :43:

My concern with the plywood would be the possible voids that may pop up as you machine it.
Also the cross sections of plywood sometimes don't stain too well because of the glues that are exposed.

Definitely the stacked wood! Does it have to be ply? Either way how about routing the seams a bit and caulking them like a nice wooden boad deck:grin:

Plywood.

Spit-Solid-er just doesn't sound right.;)
Yeah the name would definitely seem pointless without using plywood!

Definitely the stacked wood! Does it have to be ply? Either way how about routing the seams a bit and caulking them like a nice wooden boad deck:grin:
I love those old boats... sounds like a cool theme bike!

Latest posts

Back