BO15 RaTs GaSs...Great year all!...pg 26

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These last few posts are kind of funny to me, because one of my original names for this build, when I was considering some shiny colors, was "CANDY GASSED". :bigsmile:

And then I found this one, and thought it kind of already has been done:

candygasser.jpg

I forgot all about the 5 and dime stores . I used to walk a whole mile to gets a bag of assorted Brachs candies or we get a chocolate shake at the lunch counter . I was able to find a archive photo of the one I went to in Lansing MI 1962 .

View attachment 123843
We had a local Woolworth's too. It was in our old downtown area. I'll see if I can trench up a photo.

We had a local Woolworth's too. It was in our old downtown area. I'll see if I can trench up a photo.
The F.W. Woolworth Company was a pioneer of the five and dime. Frank Winfield Woolworth opened The Great 5 Cents Store, his first, in Utica, N.Y., in 1879. The first thing he sold was a five-cent fire shovel.

These last few posts are kind of funny to me, because one of my original names for this build, when I was considering some shiny colors, was "CANDY GASSED". :bigsmile:

And then I found this one, and thought it kind of already has been done:

View attachment 123842

That is one sweet fade. Love the roof stripes

@sandman , here's where I spent my pennies, 5's and dime's. Our Woolworth was downtown, which meant for our country family, we maybe got to twice a month, at best. But we had a really cool bookstore with comics and models, a sporting goods store that also sold model trains and slot cars, and Woolworth's with it's long diner soda fountain and all it's glory.

woolworth's2.jpg

woolworth's 1.jpg

We lived out about 3.5 mi out of town on the west side. There was a strip mall with a drug store, hardware store, bank, grocery, movie theater, and , my favorite: Ben Franklin store. Here is where most of my allowance / earnings went. After about age 12 , I was allowed to ride my bike in to the Sterling Shopping Center as it was called, on my own. It was on a gravel shoulder, a well-traveled and busy two-lane Hwy 16; the predecessor to I-90. We didn't take that ride lightly.

ben franklin austin.jpg

Last edited:
Kookaburra, eh? Dang, I think my sweet tooth is coming back. :wink1:

I didn't know there was Australian Liquorice until I moved to America.

We just called it Liquorice back home :bigsmile:

RaTs GaSs build Day 34

Another night of heavy rain has the BACK40 looking very lush on this humid, June morning.

101681739_178374706926491_4394252723541770240_n.jpg

While I'm processing some graphics for RG, there were a couple things that I needed to tie up since the paint job occurred last week.

I had removed the tail light for paint, and tried a chrome spray over the aluminum mute housing and beer can bezel ring. That wasn't too bad looking on it's own, but still looked 'painted on' instead of chrome. Then I tried to apply a coat of the red Metalcast over that layer. It covered, but was a darker red than the shiny red on the fender. So, as @The Renaissance Man pointed out, I could easily strip the paint off with paint thinner if I didn't like it. Which is what I did.

Here is the trumpet mute tail light with beer can bottom bezel and '60s mud flap reflector with remote controlled LED lamp mounted on the fender in the au naturale' color.

101664143_2641398529482347_144916332620546048_n.jpg
101547116_2561919124072323_7893637466089848832_n.jpg
101586508_570992707166163_1614977517989396480_n.jpg

It won't be long now said the monkey when he got his tail caught in the lawn mower....

Looks good. I like the untouched aluminum finish.

It's easy to over use things if you're not careful.

I try to go by the motto, "Always quit before you think you are done."

I try to go by the motto, "Always quit before you think you are done."
I have been reminding myself over and over of that very thing as I'm about to start the aging process on the Shelby Project!
It's like knowing when not to play when you are playing jazz. :)

Latest posts

Back