ratrod parts i want to be avalible at bike shops

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ever notice how most of the stuff we can get at bike shops has not changed in a long time? i thank the coaster gods for 24x3 tires but other than that things have not changed much. i thought it would be fun to start a list of parts that would be cool to be avalible and i will start

1. 24x3 slick tire totally slick shaped like the schwinn slick
2. 26X2.125 slick same as above
3. top tube shifter that looks like the old shimano 5 spd but is setup for a nexus 7

Top tube shifter- do you think a gripshift could be modified. Take the guts, mount to a stub of tubing welded/bolted to top tube and scab on a shifter handle.

my local bike shops dont care they just cater to the highend rich people
they dont even stcok whitewhalls a local discount store does but they are cheaper to buy online
so I buy online only thing I get at local stores is bike boxes :)

I'd like to see a suicide shifter that could be mounted just about anywhere. I don't care for the look of the old Schwinn top bar shifter...Kelly

Tires!
Tires!
Tires!
a selection of them!

A greater selection of Springers..Like the Monarch Doubles.
Their are a Few Bike Shop Down Town Vancouver that
specialize and regularly carry some Hot,Old School Stuff..

My LBS, Maple Ridge Cycle,is owned and opperated buy a Great Guy.
Troy was a Norco Rep for Years,and now is an Incredible Shop owner,
Tech, and Friend.

He has a whole room/basement full of NOS stuff!
and he's one of those guys who say's ..

"Come look at this Kev"

he loves the Old one's but makes his Money on the Free Ride,
Down Hill Stuff...Street BMX stuff.....so seeing me walk in get's him all chatty about the past!.....I love it!

Skyway Tuff Mags

I think a set of these could be cool to mount on a rat. 24" Skyway Tuffs
http://coloredtuffs.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=93

Tuff_24_coaster_brake_003.jpg

Well, today I stopped by a shop in a nearby town that has been open for over 30 years and still has the old Schwinn dealer signs out front. Someone had suggested I go there because they saw an old Brooks seat for sale a while back. It was a little out of the way and tucked down in an older part of town, but when I got close and saw the place, I had a good feeling.

Out in front they had a bunch of vintage bikes lined up with sale tags hanging on them. When I went inside I was shocked....OLD PARTS!!!!

They did carry all the new stuff, but mixed in everywhere were old parts like old seats, re-pop springers, old tires, forks, chainrings, etc. They also had a bunch of old Schwinns inside for sale too....mostly touring bikes like Racers, Collegiates, etc.

I asked the guy helping me where they got all the bikes from and he said that they take trade-ins so they were all from people wanting new bikes.

Shops like these are hard to find down here in Texas...especially old Schwinn shops. I know where I'll be going from now on. :mrgreen:

Here's the seat I picked up...

100_2584.jpg

i am getting ideas because i really think the market is there to at least make a shifter that could be mounted to the frame. make one for the nexus 3 and 7. maybe have different handles avalible that sort of thing.

oh yea one other part i want a shimano nexus 2 spd kick back hub :mrgreen:

karfer if you figure out an easy shifter replacement I will be first in line to purchase. Both the 3 and 7!

well with the shifter of the lucky 7 i just removed the large clamp and found a smaller one. you could also remove the housing and stock lever and make an inclosure as well as lever for the 7 speed shifter as the springs are very strong. i want to make more of a true custom shifter out of billet aluminum. although i really like the idea clothespin came up with for his 3 spd on his build off bike.

I don't know how well known Lepper is for americans, but I guess it might be referred to the Brooks in here (?).
Have to say that I was very surprised when I just found out that they are still doing their saddles in old way. http://www.lepper.nl/

Re: Skyway Tuff Mags

cman said:
I think a set of these could be cool to mount on a rat. 24" Skyway Tuffs
http://coloredtuffs.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=93

Tuff_24_coaster_brake_003.jpg

i have a white set just like that, that my brother got when i told him to by a haro master flat land bmx at the pawn shop (for 75 bucks) then later found one on ebay same shape for $900... he didnt even know what he had...

I have always liked the Skyway look ever since my freestyle days back in the 80s. Thats why when I was looking for a trike to motorize, I went with the Atlas that comes with them. Heres what they look like with 24x3s...Kelly
img0209ia1.jpg

Latest posts

Back