Rat Rod Wagon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I've been working on some non-bike stuff, and while I won't post everything on this site, I thought I'd go ahead and post one of the items I'm proud of. I have this old Radio Flyer that I was thinking of giving the lowered/car look to. You've seen what I mean. Wagon, slammed to the ground, front end floating out, with a faux-engine, making it look like a little rat car, or something. I just didn't know exactly how I wanted to start, so I just never have.

So, inspired by some metalworking artists I follow on Instagram, one in particular that makes killer muscle cars out of steel that are about the size of a Barbie car, I decided to make my rat rod wagon from scratch. It'll be rough, rusty, and cool. I bought $13 worth of 16g steel, and grabbed some odd wheels that I had (kids trike for the rear, training wheels for the front), and started building, figuring it out as I went.

Started by drawing the profile on the steel, cut it out, and went from there. End of day one:
IMG_3990_zpsyqdhmf8j.jpg

IMG_3991_zps8h7xfev0.jpg

Next, I put a little more body on it, and made a faux-engine out of demoed plumbing parts. An old valve, some elbows, and a bit of black pipe. Then a ruined freewheel for the fan. I also raised it up a bit, needing clearance for rough terrain.
IMG_4009_zpsid5rycg9.jpg

IMG_4011_zpsmgxzpfno.jpg

Day three, all I did was put as much top as it's going to get on it. It looks like a 30s rag top, but I need to be able to put flea market parts in it. I thought about making a full hinged top, but that would rattle around too much on the rough gravel that some of these flea markets have.
IMG_4019_zpsaesvj3pg.jpg

Stay tuned for more!

Good stuff, been wanting to build an electric radio flyer go cart with some old scooter parts I have. Then I saw your rat rod truck and thought it was cooler than just a wagon, might borrow the concept of that one day if you don't mind.

Only problem is old wagons seem to be rare as hens teeth around here. Never thought to just build something from scratch, well done so far.

I've been trying to post an update for a week, but first I couldn't access the site at all, then I couldn't post, and now it says I don't have access to "/forum/index.php to this server." Which means I can't post photos.

I give up.

I've been trying to post an update for a week, but first I couldn't access the site at all, then I couldn't post, and now it says I don't have access to "/forum/index.php to this server." Which means I can't post photos.

I give up.

Stole these from your Instagram for you:

Deven1.jpg
Deven2.png

Hope you can figure out what the issue is...

Luke.

I'm still working on the issue...here's how this usually goes down...

A user on the forum does something that triggers an error message...usually it involves someone trying to upload an image that's too big over and over again. The server sees the errors that the forum is throwing and it blocks the user to protect itself from what it thinks is a hacking attempt. I then have to send the user's IP address to the hosting company and they take the user's address off of the blacklist.

Unfortunately the blacklisting can sometimes cause permissions issues so it's not always all fixed right away.

It's cool. Filed away for the future... There are some pretty radical wagon builds out there in Googlland. I like the inventive scratch build your own body too.

Carl.

sent from a banana phone...

Latest posts

Back