Rat Rod Truck

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
This is a project that I've been mulling over for quite some time. I thought that it might be my build off bike this summer, but I went ahead and got started on it, so here it is. I expect this to take some time.

The goal is a four wheeled, pedal powered, one person truck, made from junk I mostly already had, and others that I've collected specifically for this build. Some of this stuff I purchased a year and a half ago, waiting for the build to start. Some of the hesitation has been that this thing is going to have the footprint of four bikes, and I'm not sure where the heck I'm going to store it.

It really will be a truck. It will have a body, bed, custom frame dropped in the center, and hopefully, a grill. Here are some of the parts, laid out roughly in position:
IMG_3091_zps266ab244.jpg

IMG_3092_zps69b2f2ae.jpg

The rear is a trike rear that I bought about six months ago, the bed is a rotted out wagon that I got from Karfer67 a year ago, the body is a wheel barrow that came with the house when we bought it, and the front is from a kid's reverse trike. Here was the bike when I got it over a year ago:
IMG_1886_zps96c1add2.jpg

I already did some fabrication to get the 26" wheels on the front, but it's nice to already have the linkage and steering already worked out. That kid's bike cost me $40 I think, but it was worth it to me.

Stay tuned...

I have the perfect patch for that.
IMG_2343.jpg

Cut the Radio Flyer wagon down to the width I needed for the rear section. It was actually quite difficult, because the metal is so thin, and so rusted out! I ended up using a scrap piece of shallow channel to join them together. I didn't trim the piece, or anything. RAT!
IMG_3098_zpsd1b88f8c.jpg

IMG_3099_zpsdec00e14.jpg

IMG_3100_zps1371c283.jpg

That's too cool. Is it going to be large enough for an adult to drive? Either way I love it. Your builds always kick butt. Makes me wish I had a welder. And a shop. And some skills. And. . .

I wonder of you cut the "radio" and "flyer" pieces from the scrap section of the wagon, if they would make a cool double sided tag, or they could be welded to the sides of the wheelbarrow cockpit? Just an idea.

I wonder of you cut the "radio" and "flyer" pieces from the scrap section of the wagon, if they would make a cool double sided tag, or they could be welded to the sides of the wheelbarrow cockpit? Just an idea.

I've actually wondered if I would end up with a use for that section. We'll see. Your ideas aren't bad.

The good news is that I've got it all welded together as a roller. I've still got a long way to go, including some gussets and other pieces to strengthen it. But I'm happy with how it's going.
IMG_3138_zps449b2e41.jpg

Lookin good!
It's going to be interesting seeing how you run that drivetrain.

The good news is that I've got it all welded together as a roller. I've still got a long way to go, including some gussets and other pieces to strengthen it. But I'm happy with how it's going.
IMG_3138_zps449b2e41.jpg
looking to be another sweet build deven_science.
cannot wait to see this built
good luck with it I will be watching as well.
this is exactly why I love this site lots of talented indivduals. such as yourself that can visualize a potential build from a pile of parts.
sean

Latest posts

Back