RAT / ROD MODEL KIT BASH CHALLENGE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack Wag'n

I've been building models for a LOT of years now, and the Roth/Newt/Mouse/Weird-Ohs were always some of my favorites, even though they were out of production, not to really start seeing reissues until I was in junior high in the early '80s. I spent lots of hours teaching myself to draw from old Roth booklets and Trolley how-to's from CarToons Magazine before that, though.

Re: the car, the body is from a recently-reissued short-wheelbase flopper AMT kit. The engine came out of that Fundecker Fokker, the front wheels/axle from a Weird-Ohs "Digger", and the rears from a Monogram "Super Fuzz" T bucket, designed by Stanley "Mouse", the lesser-known rival/contemporary of "Big Daddy" Roth.

As far as Super Sculpey goes, it's one of a number of poly clays available at craft stores, which harden after being baked at relatively low temperatures. Over the top of this poly insert, I will do finish sculpting in an epoxy-based clay, which will harden over hours, allowing me time to work/play with tire smoke shapes a bit. Also, epoxy can be smoothed with wet tools before it sets, meaning less sanding/finishing for paint.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Another thing I've run into is that the Testor's liquid glue doesn't seem to grab hold on the spray painted parts. I put a light gray on the the engine before I started gluing on the shiny stuff. The gray seems to come off in the glue brush. It's now clouded the jar of glue. Might switch to rubber cement.

Best bet is either to scrape/sand paint and/or plating from mating surfaces before you glue, or very carefully use super (CA) glue instead. Just be aware that the fumes that come off of curing CA glue can leave a white residue on clear and lacquer-painted parts.

I use a "crystal clear" water-based PVA glue to glue in windows and headlight lenses.

Last edited:
Do you have an old mom and pop hardware store in the area? They usually have that kind of stuff, although modern model glue isn't as good as it use to be.
THIS IS THE GLUE THAT I ALWAYS USED.
Screenshot_20200921-201505.jpg

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Speaking of model glue, where should I get some? Does walmart even have models?
And what about the little bottles of Testors paint?
B try Michael's. They have everything even models. Models are hard to find in stores. It's like a dying hobby. You have to find people who still enjoy building them.
Why build one when you can get a diecast for less? Customized to a tee. Todays logic from these millennials.
I'm working on a new project myself
20200921_145014_HDR.jpg
20200921_180035_HDR.jpg
20200921_174740_HDR.jpg
20200921_181829_HDR.jpg

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 20200921_174740_HDR.jpg
    20200921_174740_HDR.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 57
Oh yeah, and if you aren't watching The Crafsman's videos on YouTube, you should probably go review your life choices up to this point. [emoji846]

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Got to be steady craftin!

I caught one of his vids when I was looking for a technique once. Very unique, and spot on for tips and tricks!

His video on acid etching metal got me hooked

Latest posts

Back