Rat Rod Lincoln - photo update 11/28 done i think

Discussion in 'RAT ROD BIKE BUILD OFF 2' started by socal_jack, Sep 15, 2007.

1. socal_jack

socal_jack

0   0   0

Rat Rod Lincoln Update

Everything is stripped and ready to go

[​IMG]

Makeshift paint booth

[​IMG]

Colors

[​IMG][​IMG]

Fork primed

[​IMG]

Fork done & frame primed, I was tempted to leave things like that

[​IMG]

Frame done or at least first coat, with and without flash

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. brandonehansen

brandonehansen

0   0   0

Looking awesome! I cant wait to see what the wood will look like in there. Should be an eye catcher. I am going to be painting some wheels that are in bare metal form...how do you feel the rust tough primer does??
  3. socal_jack

socal_jack

0   0   0

Thanks, the Rust Tough primer seemed to cover fine, I went with it because the frame has rust/pitting and this paint converts the rust to primer. I actually screwed up and got some dripping behind the setpost. I was able to sand it down with 400 and re-shoot couldn't tell afterwards.

The semi-flat black is a little gloassier than I wanted may go with a straight flat later.
  4. ricksterr1221

ricksterr1221

0   0   0

Looking killer MAN!! Hey can u show me and some of the new guys a pic of the killer green bike u got in the BG, i seen it before but its so sweet looking
  5. socal_jack

socal_jack

0   0   0

Sure thing Rick, that Nirve frame has been thru quite a few iterations with another one coming soon.

With crossbow Monark springer, still my favorite look but the fork was a POS

[​IMG]

Wiht 24X3s and chopper fork, having alot of trouble with the Shimano hub on this setup will be going back to original wheels

[​IMG]

The Nirve is pretty much a donorcycle right now and will lose some parts to this dyno moto frame

[​IMG]

-Steve
  6. socal_jack

socal_jack

0   0   0

Rat Rod Lincoln

Change of name since not much progress and probably goign to change the focus, wood steaming not working out so good, need smooth forms that don't dent the wood up, and a real steam box would be a real help. Wasn't real pleased with the last color so re-shot it flat, may finish with some matte clear enamel. Also have a repop springer laying around that might get used here, need to shoot that if I'm going to use it. MIght just go with an all aluminum/brushed stainless and black look.

[​IMG][​IMG]
  7. socal_jack

socal_jack

0   0   0

Re: Rat Rod Lincoln - photo update 11/24

Pretty much a full mockup, just need to paint the badge, wanted to use some electra struts I had but they're too short for this one. Eventually I'll get the wood tank thing done but not in time. Had to borrow some parts from my schwinn repop to finish up(seat, bars, stem). Need to put a headlight I have on also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Freshly sprayed badge
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close-up of suicide shifter
    [​IMG]
  8. cman

cman Moderator

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

the shifter set up is cool. I wish my 7spd nexus wasn't a grip shift. I like the simple black bike. I think those Kenda Kraze's are a good tire choice
  9. xddorox

xddorox

0   0   0

Simple yet very cool. Congrats on a great build :D
  10. socal_jack

socal_jack

0   0   0

Thanks guys, the shifter is a bit top heavy but otherwise functional took it down to the beach for a little spin today. Couldn't beat that Kenda online deal bought a couple sets of 24s and 26s at the $5 price. Have a new kickstand coming also, but I don't think I'll have time to get the final photos before the deadline, I was thinking it ended next Saturday, DOH!

cman, you can still get that style Nexus shifter at Niagara Cycles, like $23 with cable, bought one as a backup before I altered this one.

-Steve
  11. socal_jack

socal_jack

0   0   0

Take some better photos in the morning and post to the other thread. Wasn't completely in tune with the overall look, needed some apehangers with the suicide shifter for a more traditional rat rod look. Went to the LBS up in Oside and got some Electra apes, had some iron cross DK pedals in the bin that matched the DK sprocket, score

[​IMG][​IMG]
  12. karfer67

karfer67

0   0   0

very cool clean rat ya got there. i like the apes better too. neat place for the pics but you may want to tighten that chain a bit more looks real loose. my buddy had his loose on the turkey day ride and first it came off then again then he just did it scooter style pushing himself along till his pants leg got caught in the bike and blamoo on the ground. nice job though !!
  13. 64lowrider

64lowrider

0   0   0

Nice bike, I love the final pics you took of it.

Cardiff reef looks like a pretty cool break, do you surf? You said that it might get up to 20 ft, how much swell can that reef hold? I found this pic of it looking pretty big

http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/North_Ame ... how&page=1
  14. socal_jack

socal_jack

0   0   0

Hi 64lowrider,

Cardiff Reef will probably hold ~15ft, I've caught stuff at least in the range of the photo below, say 10 ft wave face

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/12 ... _21_05.txt

Nearby only Swamis and Black's beach will hold pretty much unlimited size at leat in the range of 20+ ft. You have to get down to Todos off Ensenada (baja) to get the 60+ ft wave faces probably next week.
  15. socal_jack

socal_jack

0   0   0

16. 64lowrider

64lowrider

0   0   0

They aren't working at the moment but I'll try them again later

Have you surfed Todos Santos? Thats one of the places I really want to go when I go around the world
  17. socal_jack

socal_jack

0   0   0

Still working on it, the ape hangers were a pain getting in and out of the xterrra so I swapped a QR axle from another bike

[​IMG]

64lowrider, Here's some snaps from this morning; Early morning Cardiff Reef, 10-15ft this is the only one I caught with someone in it not the biggest though, shot from in front of Rob Machado's house.

[​IMG]

Next 2 are Swamis, this will hold virtually unlimited size due to the channel, due to channel islands blocking us we don't get as big as Norcal though.
    This is why it's nicknamed "Swarmis"
    [​IMG]

This guy was llucky got a nice one all alone after a cleaner set
    [​IMG]

I haven't surfed Todos, it's pretty much a tow-in spot, although Taylor Knox paddled into a 52+footer down there, very tricky wave, like going left at Waimea, boils and bumps on the way down. It's about 10 miles off the coast a 100 niles or so South off Ensenada BC so you need to arrange a boat once you get down there. It's getting real dangerous down there lately lots of people getting robbed and assaulted. Plus the cops are chargin alot for Mordida now, they start at $400 for a speeding ticket.
  18. 64lowrider

64lowrider

0   0   0

WOW those are some amazing photos! They just had video footage on the news, your surf is making worldwide headlines! Its perfect conditions man, get out in it! I know I would!
  19. socal_jack

socal_jack

0   0   0

My main winter board still has a big hole in it, I put off repairs due to the RBBO. Might have a go tomorror, with a sub-optimal board. Actually conditions weren't as ideal as 2 years ago, water had a lot of bump to it this morning that is being masked by the BFWs. It was tough to get into these, I had to wait long periods to catch someone actually getting a ride. The first shot at Cardiff above, that dude didn't get much further as you can see he's already behind it, took a real pounding. I thnk I saw him crawl up on the beach when I got down to the parking lot.