Rat Rod Lincoln - photo update 11/28 done i think

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's a '49 Schwinn Lincoln, frame has a hole in the chainstay, barely visible where some knucklehead used the bike with probably an ultra loose bottom bracket, end of the crank arm wore through. So I'm going to get that welded up and the paint comes off. Hate the color anyway. Not sure I'm going to use these wheels, probably save for another project, If I do use them need a serious rehab and have some blackout new departure hubs to lace in. Seat needs some de-rusting and rehab also.

IMG_0402.jpg
IMG_0403.jpg

Went to a Woodie show today for inspiration and I think this Lincoln Merc did it, blue metallic paint with a wood tank

IMG_0357_1.JPG
IMG_0359_1.JPG
IMG_0370_1.JPG

Nice

I too have a 49"Lincoln" DX in red. That head badge has a lot of detail. I completely cleaned mine up in prep. for restore and was amazed! Later & PEACE!!!!! :mrgreen:

Im doin a "woody" inspired bike too, hope ya dont mind another woodwork bike in the ranks. I must admit id much rather be usin your frame tho. My idea was more less inspired by my 90 Jeep grand wagoneer i had to put down for fuel usage violations. Loved that thing to death but hated feedin it :mrgreen:

No problema CCR, they probably won't look anything alike.

I'll post a closeup of the long springer, going to try out this Evaporust non-toxic rust remover on it as I'll need to disassemble.

Gonna leave this badge as is I think looks great with the patina.

Stripped the frame all the way down, badge came off fairly easy doesn't like like it has been messed with going by the screws. Need to strip the paint and get the hole in the frame welded up. May have the paint picked out.

IMG_0405.jpg
IMG_0406.jpg
IMG_0407.jpg

Finally a rainy day, well it sprinkled a couple of times and the wind screwed up the surf so progress was made(only 4 inches of rain in over a year).

I was originally going to use blue but I'm thinking either all black or a combination primer/black. black gives me more flexibiblity for rim/wheel combos more like this now;

IMG_0382_2.JPG

So here's the seat I'm using, lots of rust frozen nuts etc, trying this new de-rusting stuff, non-toxic and near balanced pH. Evaporust, they have a website anyway here's some shot and then the dunk, Ill leave it over night but you could tell it was working right away(they need to work on the liquid color and foaming properties :wink: )

IMG_0408.jpg
IMG_0409.jpg
IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg
IMG_0412.jpg

Made a template for the "tank" and cut the wood in back,
IMG_0413.jpg

2 tries and an unspecified amount of beer later here it is

IMG_0416.jpg

The trim will outline the tank, stain the inside darker and outside light , possibly a cross trim in the lower third, might use some balsa for that.

Next up, make a jig and steam box to make the trim, and strip some pain

I bought a '30 Ford wagon and we call it a woody
(Surf City, here we come)
You know it's not very cherry, it's an oldie but a goody
(Surf City, here we come)
Well, it ain't got a back seat or a rear window
But it still gets me where I wanna go

Theme song for ur build, Surf City by jan and dean, AWESOME BIKE MANN!

Yeah, hopefully this wood comes out like I want.

That Evaporust stuff work real nice, removed everything around the nuts on the pan and I was able to completely disaasemble like it was new, then dunk the rest

IMG_0417.jpg
IMG_0418.jpg

took the frame to a bike welder to get the hole welded up and also the intersection of the downtube and the straightbar looked like stress fractures in the paint

IMG_0406.jpg
closeup.jpg

so that's getting re-brazed, he didn't like the look of it either

Anyway, had this Nexus-7 wheelset hanging around for a future clunker project but I think I'm going to use it here and make a stick shifter for it, kind of a suicide type

IMG_0419.jpg

Somewhat dead in the water til the frame gets back from the welder later in the week but gave time to cleanup the seat and some other stuff.

Thinking of using the original cranks, may combine skiptooth with Nexus ala Karfer67's mod.

IMG_0420.jpg

Also started niblling at the Nexus shifter to see what lies beneath, and I think that'll work

IMG_0421.jpg
IMG_0424.jpg
shift.jpg

The crank and a bunch of seat parts after the Evaporust treatment, been experimenting with some stains for the tank, also new fork candidate

IMG_0425.jpg
IMG_0427.jpg

Suicide shifter? Looking really nice! I will build one for my build off bike sometime too, if I get a good cheap rear wheel!

Yep, suicide shifter is the plan. But I think the shifter will also allow a forward shifter position just below the crossbar if I want. Need the frame back to playaround.

Make sure to use either a VERY light weight shifter arm or have it supported in some way. The springs in those shifters aren't very strong the longer the shift arm is.

I used some 1/8'' thick alum. flatbar with a very small knob for the one on the Jet Bike

TheJetBike.jpg

Jockeyshiftdetail.jpg

I didn't even notice that detail on your bike when you posted a pic on here before, I know I said it then but just to repeat, that is one seriously nice concept bike. Even small details like the routing for the roller brake cable on the down tube has that turbine hose/pipe-line look to it. Great job!!!

Thanks for the tip, I was a bit worried about that aspect as the shifter doesn't take much thumb pressure to operate. It would be easy to get that thing shifting inadvertently with a long lever arm. I don't think my shifter will even be as long as on your bike and I had already planned on double screws with a backing plate and the shifter will be flat metal as yours is. I may even use something along the base to dampen the movement further.

Just a bit of progress in the drivetrain, cleaned up the wheels and removed the Sun decals, then tried out some red tires

IMG_0432.jpg
IMG_0434.jpg

Got a little work done on the shifter, need to drill some holes forcover and back plates , might do that out of wood also.

IMG_0437.jpg

Yea, I'm not sure those tires are going to make it, might not work with the wood. Got a ways to go before that decision though.

Mocked up some angles, but I need to rip about 3/8 of an inch from the width of the moulding I'm going to use, too wide as shown

IMG_0438.jpg

Got the frame back with the hole fixed and one frame braze re-done

IMG_0439.jpg

Couple of paint stripping shots, about 1/3 done here

IMG_0440.jpg

about95% done just need to finish off hard to get places with nylon scrubber wheel
IMG_0441.jpg
[/url]

Latest posts

Back