Rat Rod Blades Challenge 2021 - Build thread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goodwill Hunting Knife

Day 4 summary. First of all, anybody else even working on their knives? :rolleyes:
I got in some work on the scales today. Ended up breaking down and buying a small vise to clamp on to my bench top to hold the Mesquite while I sawed some scales with the trusty rusty garage sale hand saw. Vise was a worthwhile $20 investment at HD.

On our morning hike, we found some quartz and other rocks that might work into this build. Bolsters, anyone? I'm still on the look-out for any antlers, jawbones, or other skeletal remains from coyote kills in the mountains when we hike. Nothing so far.

Here's a few photos from the day's progress. BlaDe oN~!

146609241_742363716710477_1132208050328079922_n.jpg

Before I picked up the vise today, I tried cutting the scales with my angle grinder. It burned the wood. I like it! Another design option in the works.

146951234_434750534401070_7120151678139550845_n.jpg
146085471_1351017001922165_254409204541272725_n.jpg
146093814_138615074766721_1315958498331394145_n.jpg

First of all, anybody else even working on their knives? :rolleyes:
Oaktree has been. And it's looking good.

I think everyone else has just been gawking. (Or talking about how fast they are :giggle:)

I have a fairly sizable work thing that should be out the door this week or next.
Hoping to get to the knife after that.

This I why I gave a three month timeline for a one to three afternoon project.

Oaktree has been. And it's looking good.

I think everyone else has just been gawking. (Or talking about how fast they are :giggle:)

I have a fairly sizable work thing that should be out the door this week or next.
Hoping to get to the knife after that.

This I why I gave a three month timeline for a one to three afternoon project.
I'm on my 4th afternoon, and counting. Does that mean I'm slow, or just incompetent?

Thanks Mr Verrt for the kind words. My schedule is fixn to blow up and as such, I’m trying to get as much done as possible as quickly as possible. After next week, I may be dropping outta sight for a while.

The wise competitor bides their time. That way, by the time they get building, judges have forgotten the awesome stuff OJ came out with in the first few seconds.
Matti, you have nailed that to a tee! I can't change my M.O. and I know that it has hurt me in vote getting down through the years in the BO's. But, I'd have to take drugs to inhibit my OCD and compulsive nature on projects. So, not likely to happen.

At least I provide entertainment for those watchers in the early going! :bigsmile:

between models and bicycles I have so much to work on ... it'll be a miracle if I get to my knife kit. I will try tho.

Old Uncle
Worked a little today on the timber that will someday become the scales.
View attachment 150828
knowing that it was used in 1917, I counted the rings and put this tree as a seedling around 1872!!!
View attachment 150829
Old Uncle reminds me about the story of the axe carried by the head of the family.
Over the years the handle has been replaced five times, and the head three times, and nothing original remains of the axe first owned by the family founder, but being passed from one hand to the next through the generations, it still remains the same axe that the head of the family has always carried.

Maybe you're starting a story like this now, Oak Tree

I’m afraid I’ll break it if I go any further so I’m stopping the knaping. I’ve never done this and this is my only piece of flint. It would be nice to make some notches for the rawhide laces but that would be pushing beyond my comfort level. It’s kinda spooky trying just to remove a chip, you have to smack it pretty good and it flakes off where I wasn’t planning. So, the blade is done.
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back